Author Topic: Craig Elliott  (Read 13087 times)

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Elliott
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 07:44:02 AM »
If you look back over our history, there are only 3 managers that have been with the club for more than 2 years, maybe we need to allow some stability and let someone develop at this level so we have a sound base to move forwards?

Yes, stick with Elliot, he's shown enough. Stability will be good for the club and can see it paying off.

Greene's first season here we missed out on the playoffs, next two we were in the playoffs.

Many Norwich fans wanted to get rid of Farke after his first season last season after a mid table finish, now they're top of the league and heading for the premier league without spending big money (relative to others that that level).
Yes I agree, but they will have to spend big to stay there for more than one season.
They have been there before now a couple of times only to be relegated.
I personally from being a regular fan there during the 80s would love to see them have a long tenure in the Premiership.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 08:13:18 AM »
They'l struggle as will Sheffield Utd, Leeds and whoever else goes up.

Fact is the players want to play at the big city clubs, the provincial clubs pick up the rest.

Hopefully SUFC go up, stick with a very honest squad of English players and don't flood it with mercenary foreign dross. Then do what Bournemouth did and consolidate season on season.

Unbelievable that we played them as equals not so long ago, a club no bigger than Wrexham, York or Stockport historically.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
But we employ a scout to run the rule over these players too.

Are we looking at a systemic failure?

And yet that scout was very successful under Dennis Greene and found us some real gems.

I do think that pretty much everything has gone wrong for us this season. It's been crap.

Who was the gems  Pete ?

It's not that long ago mate, pretty sure you can work out who were the best players in that team without my help.

Off the top of my head these are the outstanding players from the Greene era .
Stryjeck ,  Marr , Ferguson, Agnew . Mills,  Pidge , Garner, Steer ,  Felix , Southwell , Miller .  Maybe I have missed some .   Of those I have named apart from Southwell all were Greene's own recruitments ,  from information on Patter Southwell was recommended by Rob Scott .

So how did Greene find those players then? You're saying Richard had absolutely no hand in identifying any of those signings? Pretty extraordinary if true. You'd have to wonder a) why we employed him in the first place, b) why he got headhunted by Southport, and c) why we brought him back.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 10:39:36 AM »
I think Steer, Mills and Felix Greene had at previous clubs he managed.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 01:36:28 PM »

And yet that scout was very successful under Dennis Greene and found us some real gems.

I do think that pretty much everything has gone wrong for us this season. It's been crap.

Who was the gems  Pete ?

It's not that long ago mate, pretty sure you can work out who were the best players in that team without my help.

Stryjeck ,  Marr , Ferguson, Agnew . Mills,  Pidge , Garner, Steer ,  Felix , Southwell , Miller .  Maybe I have missed some .   Of those I have named apart from Southwell all were Greene's own recruitments ,  from information on Patter Southwell was recommended by Rob Scott .

So how did Greene find those players then? You're saying Richard had absolutely no hand in identifying any of those signings? Pretty extraordinary if true. You'd have to wonder a) why we employed him in the first place, b) why he got headhunted by Southport, and c) why we brought him back.

The first 4 named were on loan from Sunderland (with others whose names I cannot recall ) through Greene's contact with Sunderland coaching staff .
Mills , Pidge , Felix and Steer had all played for Greene before .   + Hilliard .
Miller and Garner along with a few others were in Cambs / Peterborough area where Greene recruited .
Fan warned on Imps , Grimsby and Cambridge U forums of his ex-clubs that Garner would be a problem disrupting he dressing room .
Not a good assessment as he gave 3 seasons  great service as captain and scored as many goals from centre back than any of our strikers this season have scored .     
Greene also recruited players from Essex area ,  inc  the Towie star and Greene's nephew .

I could confidently say that the 8 players I named total wages would be lower than our top 8 players this season .

I can recall at one forum Greene commenting he was amazed that Renee Steer drove from London to play on the wage we payed him .

He came back to us after Southport  reportedly no longer required his services .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 01:40:15 PM »

Who was the gems  Pete ?

Makes you wonder how such talent failed to get promotion doesn't it?

If we had a team of that qaulity this season I think we would be looking forward to promotion .!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
I think so too, as a lot of people at the time said, good players poorly managed.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 05:38:21 PM »
I think so too, as a lot of people at the time said, good players poorly managed.

And still the best record of a Boston manager for decades discounting the HMRC funded period .