Author Topic: Quote “not good enough”  (Read 11608 times)

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Quote “not good enough”
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:45:11 PM »
So CE in his post match on Saturday says quite clearly we’re quote “not good  enough” for the playoffs.

I didn’t personally  like the way he named players publicly who he thought hadn’t made much effort . I think that should be left in the dressing room.

But, now to my point, or rather lack of them.

According to @bostonutdstats our home games versus teams above us is

P10 W0 D2 L8

I know the home form is well debated, but if CE needs to see what needs to be fixed for next season if we’re serious about playoff football, then surely turning even 3 of those 8 defeats would put us comfortably there.

To refer to my starting point, I requote Mr Elliot to himself,  “not good enough”

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:47:24 PM by The Third Twin »
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Quote “not good enough”
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:05:24 AM »
Very good post and factual points.
Is this the worst home form we have had in a single season?
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:02:35 AM »
I can’t remember one as poor, and I go back 40+ seasons

John Bunyan, 1684

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 07:41:36 AM »

Were you not around two years ago then, when we amassed a pitiful 25 points? We're on 21 at the moment with three winnable home games left to play.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:29 AM »

Were you not around two years ago then, when we amassed a pitiful 25 points? We're on 21 at the moment with three winnable home games left to play.
No l wasn't around, so we still have hope then.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »

Sorry you're right, of course. We didn't win at home on a Saturday until March or something like that! I must have blocked that season out of my mind due to ongoing mental trauma!

John Bunyan, 1684

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 01:49:10 PM »
Watching Boston United this season would give anyone mental trauma!!

SMorgs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 01:55:33 PM »

That was a god awful season!

SMorgs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
Another quote from CE today whilst talking about the need to keep our better players, "I keep saying we need to learn from the mistakes we’ve made as a club and as a manager."

Too many mistakes have been made over the past few years! So many clubs have got it right and are reaping the rewards, we can't seem to do so.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »
Another quote from CE today whilst talking about the need to keep our better players, "I keep saying we need to learn from the mistakes we’ve made as a club and as a manager."

Too many mistakes have been made over the past few years! So many clubs have got it right and are reaping the rewards, we can't seem to do so.

Agree comes down to shrewd, insightful recruitment & building a team that will dominate at this level. Murray failed (yes I backed him to succeed) & CE has got it badly wrong this season. Both have had the finances to succeed, you have to say in their first full seasons both have squandered good opportunities given by the board.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »
What size of budget are we talking about?
What would be the average size budget in this league?
If we have a decent sized budget why is recruitment so obviously difficult?
In Craig's case the pressure to get his recruitment right for next season is now immense, yes it's good for him to be open and honest, but he may have put a big target on his back for next season if it starts badly.
Who knows, but I think most of us are willing him to get it right, not just for the club but also for him personally.

"I don't believe you""

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 07:17:55 PM »
One factor making recruitment difficult in the past has been the travelling time getting to Boston.  They improved the roads and then put up average speed cameras to slow everybody down.  :(
I've never seen the budget figures publicised but there used to be a big wad of bank notes in the glove compartment of Malkies Merc, allegedly.

SMorgs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »

Agree comes down to shrewd, insightful recruitment & building a team that will dominate at this level. Murray failed (yes I backed him to succeed) & CE has got it badly wrong this season. Both have had the finances to succeed, you have to say in their first full seasons both have squandered good opportunities given by the board.

Totally agree, the board have put faith in two 'up and coming' managers and it hasn't paid off. We are historically a big club at this level with a good budget, we should be able to attract somebody to at least give us a fighting chance of getting out of this league. Is a top 7 finish at this level as a minimum too much to ask for?

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 01:33:54 PM »

Totally agree, the board have put faith in two 'up and coming' managers and it hasn't paid off. We are historically a big club at this level with a good budget, we should be able to attract somebody to at least give us a fighting chance of getting out of this league. Is a top 7 finish at this level as a minimum too much to ask for?

I really see us at a crossroads right now. As said the money & faith placed in Murray & CE so far has been fruitless? The Chestnuts may go with Craig again next season? However their concerns will be identical to ours. If anybody on here was holding the purse strings would you give him another go with the transfer Budget?

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
I'd give him one more try. If it was going tits up after 10 games I'd be looking to replace  :police: