Author Topic: Another late goal!  (Read 12648 times)

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
Re: Another late goal!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
Wasn't there but, on a small positive note, we are only 6 points off the playoffs. A longshot - but still in with a shout. It all now depends what personnel we will have on our books during this month.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Greengrass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 11:09:01 AM »
We could have Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Harry Kane on the books, if the manager makes them sit on the bench nothing changes!

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
I do get concerned that CE tries to nullify any opposition strength rather than play his best team if he knows it in order to maximise our strengths

Telford were a threat from set pieces at their place but not really any better than us.
Thatgame was there for the taking at 1 all today

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »
At home with the players we have, the opposition should be coming here wanting to stay in games for 60 minutes... not the other way around!!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 02:23:44 PM »
One of our conversations yesterday was that Craig is a lucky manager because we felt that our chairman must have thought about sacking him a number of times this season and then he goes and gets a result that gives new hope. One of these times his luck will run out. Falling gates as a result of lack of entertainment cannot last. We desperately need to have a positive display to cheer and not wait until we go behind before we put effort in.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
Playoff! Let's hope not if CE has re signed some of the team already. Imagine this lot playing in the conference? As already stated by others this a  poor league. Seems to me that people are prepared to waste money on Saturday afternoons. Any way UTP looking forward to Tuesday night.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 03:16:29 PM »
Need a manager who likes to attack from the start rather than waiting till the 80th minute.

But Craig said in his interview he would have settled for about draw before the match, so he will be happy.

Unfortunately the crowd will continue to fall until we start to win at home and I suspect a drop in season ticket sales for next season.

Bottom line is all season home form has given loyal fans little to cheer. For a team right on the periphery of the play offs; come March against another side in play offs: even with their 39 fans we couldn't get a 1,000 gate. This speaks volumes re belief & expectation of home performance from this current crop. A few seasons ago a Greene team would have had 13/1400 + in York St for a similar fixture at this stage of the season.

Can we claim under the trade discription act Champs?    We were told that if we sacked Greene it would lead to a better team and bigger gates .
I would'nt isten to a small minority of fans again if I was DN .

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »
Don't worry everyone, things will turn out ok.
If those players already signed for next season don't perform they can pop through the revolving door and go play in Derbyshire.
Let's not start calling for Craig's head to soon, a change of management now will yield nothing.
Keep those chin chin chins up.
Enjoyed the match yesterday though, in a weird way.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »
Just a quick suggestion, what about a fans forum with the club, it's been a while according to Google since we have had one.
Many questions could be put to the board and Craig, this could put to bed many concern's and doubts, but on the other hand could raise even more.
But we will never know until we try.
Perhaps. OXO could be so kind as to raise this through BUSA.
Just a suggestion.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
When we (me and my granddaughter) saw the team sheet, we groaned. We expect the first instinct is to try to win home games. Talking at half time to other supporters, we all agreed that basically this is a mediocre team with mid table written all over it and to expect an exhilarating performance against superior opposition is unrealistic. The time to judge CE will be after half a dozen games of next season. To be fair we all thought his initial signings were inspired, but we were all disappointed. The only slight niggle is that we have signed players for next season who are of dubious quality (Abbott and Thanoj). Hey ho let's see how we go. After fighting hard for the lead we should have held on, but George was being constantly fouled by the 9 and 10 all afternoon. Looking forward to seeing Stockport on Tuesday.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »
FFS, we should be happy to draw at home, should we!!!

Shows how far we have fallen. Playoff chances have all but gone, seems Craig has settled for mid table mediocrity.

I for one don’t see that as anywhere good enough, really not convinced he’s the man for the job. Going Tuesday but if we fail to get anything there will be a further 3 less each game on the attendance to the end of the season.

Reading Patter this morning I get the distinct impression Saturday was a watershed moment for the manager; up until now people had been tolerant of the constant chopping and changing, but another late goal and more points tossed away seems to see the tide turn. Throw in a poor first half, a small gate and a lack of atmosphere and there seems to be a very definite disconnect between the team/management and the support.

Not sure what effect a change will make to be honest, but the club needs to be aware of the numbers of people talking about not renewing season tickets, its not JCL's talking here, its good long term supporters who've stood by the club through thin and thinner over the last decade. Lose those people and alarm bells need to be ringing, because thats your core support, not your once a season corporate fan and the free ticket freeloaders. 

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 09:11:55 AM »
If he puts the same first half team out on Tuesday I will definitely consider making that my last visit of this season, we were screaming out for wingers to come on at
half time, but no, he waited until it was too late for them to have an impact.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 11:16:30 AM »

Shows how far we have fallen. Playoff chances have all but gone, seems Craig has settled for mid table mediocrity.

I for one don’t see that as anywhere good enough, really not convinced he’s the man for the job. Going Tuesday but if we fail to get anything there will be a further 3 less each game on the attendance to the end of the season.

Reading Patter this morning I get the distinct impression Saturday was a watershed moment for the manager; up until now people had been tolerant of the constant chopping and changing, but another late goal and more points tossed away seems to see the tide turn. Throw in a poor first half, a small gate and a lack of atmosphere and there seems to be a very definite disconnect between the team/management and the support.

Not sure what effect a change will make to be honest, but the club needs to be aware of the numbers of people talking about not renewing season tickets, its not JCL's talking here, its good long term supporters who've stood by the club through thin and thinner over the last decade. Lose those people and alarm bells need to be ringing, because thats your core support, not your once a season corporate fan and the free ticket freeloaders.

I have to agree. The club in general need to get a grip in many more areas as well as on the field. The match day experience is often referred to in many sports and it has definately plummeted at BUFC, walking into the ground on Saturday and stood waiting for the kick off was like being in a dentists waiting room. Nothing to see or do until the match starts except a few children holding flags that are several years old and then having to hand them back to the CEO for the next game (pathetic) surely a little momento like that should be given to them to keep and encourage them for the future. As many people know I spend my Sundays supporting my other love rugby league. I support a former mining village team who attract over 2.500 and on entering the stadium I go to the fanzone where some 3 to 4 hundred enjoy a drink and general refreshments while kids have their faces painted in team colours (home and away) Kids games on the pitch and a small fireworks display prior to kick off. This not to sing the praises of my rugby club but to make the point that much more needs to be done both on and off the field or we will indeed lose many of our core support as has been suggested.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »
George Willis (deservedly) in the National League North team of the weekend.

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/revealed-national-league-north-team-of-the-weekend-55696
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 01:14:26 PM »

I have to agree. The club in general need to get a grip in many more areas as well as on the field. The match day experience is often referred to in many sports and it has definately plummeted at BUFC, walking into the ground on Saturday and stood waiting for the kick off was like being in a dentists waiting room. Nothing to see or do until the match starts except a few children holding flags that are several years old and then having to hand them back to the CEO for the next game (pathetic) surely a little momento like that should be given to them to keep and encourage them for the future. As many people know I spend my Sundays supporting my other love rugby league. I support a former mining village team who attract over 2.500 and on entering the stadium I go to the fanzone where some 3 to 4 hundred enjoy a drink and general refreshments while kids have their faces painted in team colours (home and away) Kids games on the pitch and a small fireworks display prior to kick off. This not to sing the praises of my rugby club but to make the point that much more needs to be done both on and off the field or we will indeed lose many of our core support as has been suggested.

Like I've said, this has been the most disappointing seasons I can remember and I think everyone feels pretty down about it. Due to circumstances outside of my control I haven't made any games this side of Christmas but I'll be off to Southport at the weekend although it's more out of a sense of duty than any excitement about still being in the play-off hunt. That said I do think results are a little better now than they were, and the more settled side is surely a big part of it, but even if we were to sneak into the playoffs we'd need some extraordinary luck to do any damage. The brutal fact is we're not good enough.