Author Topic: Already planning for next season  (Read 23413 times)

rob.1987

• View Profile
Re: Already planning for next season
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 09:07:10 AM »
We are a bang average team in a mostly dreadful division. As I've said before, this has been one of the most disappointing seasons I can ever remember and a massive, massive missed opportunity. Even if we make the playoffs, we'd be extraordinarily lucky to make a dent in them. But what is football without hope eh?

Expectations were high for this season & based on the way Craig turned things around last season hopes appeared justified. There were some excellent  performances in the last dozen games thrashing the 2 best teams in the league & with major reinforcements promised 4 this campaign we had  expectations of a top 4/5 finish at worst.
Totally agree with the above it's been disappointing at best. The most concerning thing is stil Craig's inability to assemble a settled side!! Even after Chester defeat he's talking about needing new faces & stating he's unhappy with the application & attitude of certain players? Honestly it's just gone too far now!
The concern after this record number of signings & exits is that he's never going to bring in the personnel to get us promoted.. Can his judgement on players be trusted next pre-season, after this past 6/7 months of weekly recruitment you have to wonder?
I like CE he is committed, hard working & honest. He has had success at a lower level. I really hope I'm wrong & like Pete would love us to gatecrash the playoffs but at present it's definitely hope & not expectation.

Did we not determine recently that the number of signings and exits was actually lower in comparison to recent seasons? Whilst I think those stats were based on full seasons vs midway through the current campaign, the revolving door has slowed down considerably recently.

And if we can all be gobsmacked by the poor returns from Arnold, Margetts, Marriott etc, can we not afford Craig such slack too? I see it as a good thing that he doesn't put up with shirkers. I'd rather see 100 faces come and go to find the 20 that are right for us, rather than just settle for the first 20.

This season has been hugely disappointing given the momentum we carried through from the end of the last campaign and it feels to me, even though we're within touching distance of the playoffs, that we're now gearing up for 2019/2020. Failure to mount a serious promotion challenge next season would be the end of the road for CE.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 09:44:25 AM »
I was so excited about this season, I bought a season ticket.  I also placed a bet on them finishing in the top three.  Very disappointing  is an understatement.  But I like CE and I think he will get it sorted.  The good news is, I should be able to get 33/1 about them to win the league next season. ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 10:47:13 AM »
I'm seriously considering not renewing my Season Ticket on the basis we've signed up players who've consistently proved their inconsistency this season.

Like everyone else I'm hugely disappointed by the way the season has gone, and especially by some of the worst performances at home I've seen for many seasons.

I want to see the club make a statement of intent before committing my hard earned money, and signing up players who've let us down time and time again is an admission we're happy to wallow in upper mid table.

Sorry but that's no longer good enough, I'm sick of this league, sick of seeing the same old players with the same old teams every season........

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »
I agree to an extent but until the Chester game we were looking a little more solid and settled, and I was thinking keeping a bit of a "core" together and signing them up early was a positive move. But then Chester happened.

I completely agree though - I'm thoroughly bored of Conf North now. With no cup runs of any note in the last decade it really does seem like we're forever playing the same old teams. We're long overdue something to get excited about.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »
Sitting 2 points off the playoffs realistic odds of promotion at the moment are probably something like 10/1. Good that we are still in with an chance and a couple of wins in the next two games and the end of the season could become exiting if we make the playoffs.

We've only signed 4 players so far.

Rollins is a player any team at this level would happily take so a really good one to sign up. Also he is probably one of the only players in the squad that would be good enough for the league above if we did get promoted. We'd really be kicking ourselves if we didn't sign him up and he went to a rival in the summer.

The other 3 are solid players at this level and have been in the team all season. So on that basis keeping them has to be seen as a good thing.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »
all players shud go and wotch boston town 2 morrow  :) :)

Martyn Bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »
Agreed! Town are on a good run at the moment and deserve the support. Anyway you might get to see miele's dad's tractor.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2019, 10:54:30 PM »
A depressing state of affairs when clubs, albeit some bankrolled have overtaken us
Solihull
Harrogate
Halifax
Salford
Fylde
Chorley

I'm sure there's others too if you compared southern sides too

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2019, 09:38:22 AM »
Agreed! Town are on a good run at the moment and deserve the support. Anyway you might get to see miele's dad's tractor.
     or jcb

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
     or jcb

Pleased with that response miele .       I told ernie 100 the other week you knew how to spell JCB correctly . :) :)

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
Let's face the facts this team isn't good enough for promotion and too good for relegation. About time CE takes a gamble on the youth team. Probably giving them half a game. Seems pointless having a youth set up and not using it.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2019, 12:54:12 PM »
Some of the crap hurled at players from the stands can ruin young lads.... do you really want to put them through that?
Throwing decent lads into a poor team will not help them imho

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »
I'm seriously considering not renewing my Season Ticket on the basis we've signed up players who've consistently proved their inconsistency this season.

Like everyone else I'm hugely disappointed by the way the season has gone, and especially by some of the worst performances at home I've seen for many seasons.

I want to see the club make a statement of intent before committing my hard earned money, and signing up players who've let us down time and time again is an admission we're happy to wallow in upper mid table.

Sorry but that's no longer good enough, I'm sick of this league, sick of seeing the same old players with the same old teams every season........

From comments I hear from others we badly need a real grandstand finish or season ticket sales will dip next season .

What is" a statement of intent " .

To put it into perspective Andy there are probably 8 teams apart from us who think they have a right to a play-off place .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2019, 01:05:42 PM »
Some of the crap hurled at players from the stands can ruin young lads.... do you really want to put them through that?
Throwing decent lads into a poor team will not help them imho

Correct ,  some of the crap hurled from the stands would ruin some experienced players .

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 05:22:50 PM »
There's now a 5 point gap opened up between us & Alty in the 7th play off place.

When you look at our remaining fixtures if we are going 2 get in the mix it will require a finish similar 2 last seasons exploits. We'll have a realistic idea after the next 5 games...They all look tough:

Telford (h)
Stockport (h)
Southport (a)
Chorley (h)
York (a)