Author Topic: New stadium progress  (Read 1590 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
New stadium progress
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »
Took a little stroll down Tytton Lane to the new stadium from my parents' house on Saturday to see how things are getting on (but mainly to test out how long it'll take to get there when it's finished).

It's possible to get a decent view of the site from the new footpath that has been built between the A16 and the retail units, although this is a short dead-end that is well fenced off before you rejoin the access road into the site.

I wasn't expecting to see much and to be fair I wasn't disappointed in that regard: the groundworks appear to have been completed for the west (main) stand but I couldn't see any of the tell-tale yellow markings for any of the remaining three stands. To the left as you look at the stadium is the site office, with the groundworks for the stand behind that. The drainage work that had been taking place last year is evident as newly-constructed manhole covers jut out from the ground in a few places.

The basic layout of the new place is fairly easy to work out - the land has been cleared where the stands will sit but the future pitch has been left overgrown with weeds, so it's very easy to make out. The only substantial progress has been with one of the retail units which lies immediately adjacent to the stadium site and is substantially complete but still looks like it needs fitting out.

And that's it. Nothing visible above the surface and no construction machinery or materials in place to suggest anything of that nature will be appearing imminently. It was still quite interesting to have a poke around though. Here's hoping the good news about funding sees this project pick up some pace in the weeks ahead. Some boring pics posted on Twitter @TrailOfDebt.