Author Topic: Low attendance  (Read 10344 times)

delbar

• View Profile
Re: Low attendance
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »
I would suggest that the vast majority of attendees at York Street come from a 25 mile radius of York Street.

The reason for the low attendance is simple - poor home results.

Agree to some extent, another factor I believe is that January for some is a long month pay wise so maybe not everyone can attend. Atmosphere on the town end felt good yesterday despite th me low numbers.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »
I was there. Were you?
Not been able to attend for a year and a half now due to health issues. I hope that doesn't discriminate against me for having a view over things though.  I do however keep up to date with things and it is clear that we have dropped off by an average of 100-150 gate wise to that of recent seasons. I was just asking a genuine question based on this seasons home attendance figures, nothing personal against anyone so lets keep it that way.
I think most clubs suffer this after Christmas and when the form at home tends to be inconsistent.but they will return when the weather picks up, money isn't so tight and the form improves.
Today's performance showed some real improvement and promise, and may l say some pride and passion in the shirt.
I have only been to few home games this season and it's improving on the pitch.
Please don't also forget that yesterday game was broadcasted live on radio Lincolnshire, so perhaps some fans decided to stay in the warm and listen to it instead.
I also hope that your health improves and you are soon able to attend yourself..
Stay safe and warm my friend and keep the faith old boy.
Chin chin
Cheers old boy thin. I hope so to, as missing football no matter how good or bad in may be is still a bitter pill to swallow. Pleased to hear your report of things look better. I agree with further comments made on this thread re attendances. Yes, a mix of form and weather will have some stay away. I only asked the question when comparing to other seasons and bad runs. I noted that we rarely in past seasons dropped below the mid 900's mark so this weekends figures was quite low for us given all previous factors. Maybe we have had some glory hunters jump ship to Lincoln over the past year ? Hopefully better times are ahead and we are averaging 1,150 again as we know that is achievable.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »
Not just home games though
A lack of local games and mediocre form (even though away we've done alright) has seen many away regulars not going this year.
I struggle to think of a lower saturday turnout than the paltry 54 we took to Kiddy (Curzon last year in the wet and possibly a trip to Chorley/Darlington last season come to mind)
People clearly fed up with poor form, combined with being skint and there's your recipe for poor turnouts. God knows how few will bother going to Spennymoor. I doubt I can get back for work the next morning without staying up all night at great expense. Will BUSA even be justified in taking a small coach there?

Home form has been diabolical though but then again, we train away and home games must be the longest journey our players make! We've that many players used that it's hardly a routine to play at home like the Telford, Stockport or Chorley boys wave got. Don't  forget also we have zero attractive fixtures, other clubs have at least 3 or 4 local derbies (some have them every other weekend!)

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 02:27:57 AM »
A lack of local games and mediocre form (even though away we've done alright) has seen many away regulars not going this year.
I struggle to think of a lower saturday turnout than the paltry 54 we took to Kiddy (Curzon last year in the wet and possibly a trip to Chorley/Darlington last season come to mind)
People clearly fed up with poor form, combined with being skint and there's your recipe for poor turnouts. God knows how few will bother going to Spennymoor. I doubt I can get back for work the next morning without staying up all night at great expense. Will BUSA even be justified in taking a small coach there?

Home form has been diabolical though but then again, we train away and home games must be the longest journey our players make! We've that many players used that it's hardly a routine to play at home like the Telford, Stockport or Chorley boys wave got. Don't  forget also we have zero attractive fixtures, other clubs have at least 3 or 4 local derbies (some have them every other weekend!)

You make some really valid points Josh regarding the poor home form so far. A lot of fans have despaired at the attitude & commitment of many of the players this season & I think you have got pretty close to the crux when U say "home games must seem like away games" for them. With most of them based at least a couple of hours from Boston yeah I guess the away fixtures & training suit them more. This has been so apparent in most home games up to Saturday. Well if the players haven't fancy turning up at York Street; as we are seeing, neither have the fans. Another thing: where's all our local talent these days? It was great 2 C young Vincey in the team a couple of seasons a go. 3 or 4 local lads would really lift the home spirits.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 07:26:27 AM »

You make some really valid points Josh regarding the poor home form so far. A lot of fans have despaired at the attitude & commitment of many of the players this season & I think you have got pretty close to the crux when U say "home games must seem like away games" for them. With most of them based at least a couple of hours from Boston yeah I guess the away fixtures & training suit them more. This has been so apparent in most home games up to Saturday. Well if the players haven't fancy turning up at York Street; as we are seeing, neither have the fans. Another thing: where's all our local talent these days? It was great 2 C young Vincey in the team a couple of seasons a go. 3 or 4 local lads would really lift the home spirits.
With the club having an academy and under 19s etc, l would have thought that most of the local talent is in there, so it's a shame not to see that being utilised as many other clubs do.
I understand from people l have spoken to over the last few weeks at York Street, Dennis Green used to give the youngsters a go.
I don't know what the club policy is regarding these youngsters, perhaps we just produce players for other clubs as an income stream into the academy and club.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:55:09 PM »

As I said to you, there's a palpable discord between fans and club that's been brewing for a while.

No progress on the new ground and no updates on any progress, leading to speculation and conjecture thats not helpful to anyone
Terrible form over the last three seasons, and especially this season at home.
A perception that the club are happy where they are in mid table in a pub league
No visible attempt to encourage new blood through the turnstiles or to offer fans incentives for less attractive games like the Leamington one

The last few weeks have shown that 300 people who were regular attendees up until Christmas have had enough and voted with their feet. I've seen no attempt to see the club try and encourage these people back and my worry is they are gone for good. We've had too long at this level and people's patience has been exhausted by the rotten performances of late. BUSA should be instigating a meeting with David and Neil urgently to address the worrying downturn in support and demand a few family days or ticketing incentives.........BUSA are generally well meaning people with good intentions, but I'd like them to start ruffling a few feathers.........remember the club needs its fans, not vice versa.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 05:07:11 PM »
The other thing about the away attendances is that we have been in this league a long time, longer than any other team in it I think N40s pointed out in a different context a few months ago. One of the consequences from this is that there aren't many fresh away days if you like that sort of thing (I do).

Spennymoor is the only ground I've not been to and as we know they try and avoid playing us on a Saturday. I've been to many of the other Conference North clubs several times and whilst, based in Sheffield as I am, I'm happy to travel to Guiseley yet again on Saturday, the games the other side of Birmingham, like Kiddy, are a pain to get to and so I don't bother every year. Especially as I am confident I'll have the opportunity next season....

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 06:31:58 PM »
I'm happy to blow best part of a ton travelling to Guiseley to finally see us win there!!! Always lost in my 4 or 5 visits

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
A few thoughts:

(1) Maybe it's just my hunch, but in recent seasons we seem to have often had back to back home games, followed by back to back away. Football can be expensive, and perhaps some fans pick and choose their matches when games fall close together. For the benefit of all clubs, perhaps the league ought to aim for a HAHAHA pattern throughout the season.

(2) I also think clubs are forced into long trips at the wrong times of year. If the game had been on, how many fans would have made it to Spennymoor four days before Christmas? And with the replay then arranged for a midweek in January, there still won't be many who make it. Meantime Brackley away, one of our shorter trips, is in April. If the league could see fit to arrange longer trips with the better weather times at the start and end of the season, and then tried to schedule more local games for the winter months, wouldn't more fans then get to go to matches?

(3) How many times nowadays do midweek matches clash with televised games? And how does that compare to previous seasons? Sadly, some people will pick a free Champions League match ahead of paying for Conference North football.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:39:17 PM by leicester pilgrim »

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 01:02:01 AM »
A few thoughts:

(1) Maybe it's just my hunch, but in recent seasons we seem to have often had back to back home games, followed by back to back away. Football can be expensive, and perhaps some fans pick and choose their matches when games fall close together. For the benefit of all clubs, perhaps the league ought to aim for a HAHAHA pattern throughout the season.

(2) I also think clubs are forced into long trips at the wrong times of year. If the game had been on, how many fans would have made it to Spennymoor four days before Christmas? And with the replay then arranged for a midweek in January, there still won't be many who make it. Meantime Brackley away, one of our shorter trips, is in April. If the league could see fit to arrange longer trips with the better weather times at the start and end of the season, and then tried to schedule more local games for the winter months, wouldn't more fans then get to go to matches?

(3) How many times nowadays do midweek matches clash with televised games? And how does that compare to previous seasons? Sadly, some people will pick a free Champions League match ahead of paying for Conference North football.

These are all valid points re: attending games. However I still think (& the evidence is all there from previous campaigns) if we were top 4/5  winning at home; playing entertaining  football, we would be again getting 12-1300+ crowds at this stage of the season. Totally agree re: long away midweek trips & also what others say re: the amount of time we have spent in CN & fans tired of mostly same old grounds.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »

It's impossible not to clash with any TV football - pretty much every night of the week there is a Premier League/European game on telly.

Champions League games haven't been on free TV for a few years, though...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
Two away performances like the Kiddy one will mean 6 points. If that happens watch the gate for the next home game.
N.B. One of the other threads is making me angry. I am doing what my dad taught me. "Keep your ears open, your eyes open and your mouth shut!". This might not last. If this results in my removal from the forum, so be it.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »
Two away performances like the Kiddy one will mean 6 points. If that happens watch the gate for the next home game.
N.B. One of the other threads is making me angry. I am doing what my dad taught me. "Keep your ears open, your eyes open and your mouth shut!". This might not last. If this results in my removal from the forum, so be it.

I applaud your positive attitude but it seems to have stopped every other poster dead in their tracks.  Is it because no-one wants to look on the bright side anymore?
United we stand..................

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 06:25:33 PM »

Your optimism was not misplaced and we have gained another 3 points away at Guiseley.  If Tuesday's game is on at Spennymoor I wouldn't rule us out getting something from that game too so by the time we play our next home game against FCUM we would deserve to get a decent attendance at home.

United we stand..................