Author Topic: Clickety-Click  (Read 10133 times)

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Clickety-Click
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »
The revolving door debate continues, and there's many recent comments and opinions been aired about the current season.

It got me thinking that Elliot's been in charge for 13 months, so it made me wonder exactly how many names in total have made the field under him.

So I got In touch with @bostonutdstats, and we think this is the answer...

In 17/18 Elliot used 32 different players in 26 competative games

In 18/19 Elliot has used 42 different players in 28 competative games

Only 8 played in both seasons Wllis, Smith, Rollins, Abbott, Thanoj, B Middleton, Qualter, Wafula

So, in total 66 different players have played an active part in 54 competative matches under Elliot.
(Plus Tyrell Waite was an unused sub twice last season for Elliot but never came on)

This must beat any other similar tenure by a mile, even my old mate Dennis 'Tinkerman' Greene!

No wonder they play like strangers some weeks.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clickety-Click
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:11:25 PM »
The revolving door debate continues, and there's many recent comments and opinions been aired about the current season.

It got me thinking that Elliot's been in charge for 13 months, so it made me wonder exactly how many names in total have made the field under him.

So I got In touch with @bostonutdstats, and we think this is the answer...

In 17/18 Elliot used 32 different players in 26 competative games

In 18/19 Elliot has used 42 different players in 28 competative games

Only 8 played in both seasons Wllis, Smith, Rollins, Abbott, Thanoj, B Middleton, Qualter, Wafula

So, in total 66 different players have played an active part in 54 competative matches under Elliot.
(Plus Tyrell Waite was an unused sub twice last season for Elliot but never came on)

This must beat any other similar tenure by a mile, even my old mate Dennis 'Tinkerman' Greene!

No wonder they play like strangers some weeks.

Only other statistic  to add to that information is that one of the strikers included in the 66 players has so far this season scored 25 goals . :-[

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 08:15:34 AM »
The high turnover of last season: completely understandable. Elliott came in and had a lot of work to do to undo mistakes made by Adam Murray.

The high turnover of this season: hugely disappointing. It's no great mystery what's happened: serious errors were made in the summer (in good faith, I hasten to add - we all thought the summer transfers were exceptional didn't we?) and essentially Craig is having to repeat the work he did last season by shipping out people he doesn't want and cobbling together a team comprised of short term loans and gambles on lower leaguers - and pretty much none of these gambles have worked out, so round and round we go.

We simply HAVE to improve our recruitment this summer. It was very good under Greene - it can be good again. That's three consecutive summers now in which we've built teams we've decided we don't want midway through the season. And it absolutely shows on the pitch.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »
Spot on Mr B

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
I agree - and no need to keep highlighting the number though - we are where we are, If we get to the play offs having used 100 players then surely that's better than not getting there having used only 15 players - providing we stay within budget.

TEP

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 02:24:15 PM »
The high turnover of last season: completely understandable. Elliott came in and had a lot of work to do to undo mistakes made by Adam Murray.

The high turnover of this season: hugely disappointing. It's no great mystery what's happened: serious errors were made in the summer (in good faith, I hasten to add - we all thought the summer transfers were exceptional didn't we?) and essentially Craig is having to repeat the work he did last season by shipping out people he doesn't want and cobbling together a team comprised of short term loans and gambles on lower leaguers - and pretty much none of these gambles have worked out, so round and round we go.

We simply HAVE to improve our recruitment this summer. It was very good under Greene - it can be good again. That's three consecutive summers now in which we've built teams we've decided we don't want midway through the season. And it absolutely shows on the pitch.

Don’t think the Tamworth fans will agree with his recruitment at the minute Pete. ;D
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
I think the really disappointing aspect is that when I heard the Arnold, Marriott, Margetts signings, I thought we were really ambitious and going places.

None of those players wanted to get involved (body language, pulling out of tackles, jumping for the ball "just too late" and at the time I felt that CE was very decisive in getting shut.

Since then we have brought in some iffy players and Abbott and Thanoj have caught the Arnold, Marriott, Margetts disease.

My thinking is judge CE once he has tackled the latest crisis and see what team he puts together next season.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 03:04:52 PM »
I think the really disappointing aspect is that when I heard the Arnold, Marriott, Margetts signings, I thought we were really ambitious and going places.

None of those players wanted to get involved (body language, pulling out of tackles, jumping for the ball "just too late" and at the time I felt that CE was very decisive in getting shut.

Since then we have brought in some iffy players and Abbott and Thanoj have caught the Arnold, Marriott, Margetts disease.

My thinking is judge CE once he has tackled the latest crisis and see what team he puts together next season.

Totally agree, and which is why I don't blame Craig Elliott per se for what's happened. I think he was badly let down by some very talented players who - for whatever reason - showed only sporadic moments of ability. I also think they were a bad fit for the kind of football Ellliott prefers so no doubt this has been a painful learning curve for him too. I think he's had his fingers burned and won't make the same mistakes this summer. Hopefully.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »

Don’t think the Tamworth fans will agree with his recruitment at the minute Pete. ;D

It's entirely possible Greene just got lucky but I think our scouting was generally better back then. Richard's back now which is why, considering his previous hit rate, I'm surprised so many of our recent signings have been duds (or have been binned off too fast to accurately judge).

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »
I think that possibly Craig has a problem of getting the best out of better quality players. Sounds to me from his recent interviews that he is running out of ideas. Yes he has been let down by players but by so many seems a big coincidence.

I am also concerned that people are still having play off thoughts and haven't noticed how, if we lose on Saturday , we could be in a position where we are not many points away from relegation places if results go against us.

Lets hope we have a second half to the season like last I think we will need it.

Also best wishes to Courtney Wilding in his fight with leukaemia.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 05:38:18 PM »

To be fair to Murray if we compare his recruitment to that of Craig I think Murray comes out best .
Of the 30 players Murray signed included Hemmings, Keane , Kabba , Willis and Rollins .  I think that Craigs successful run last season was down to the above 5  plus Thompson (Craig's signing )

Of the 50 players Craig has signed I can only think of Davis who is worthy of a mention .

In another of your posts Pete you mention the recruitment under Greene .  I think it is correct to say almost all the players in his successful teams was recruited by Grene himself .    Mills , Pidge , Steer , Felix , Garner and Miller plus  Marr and Agnew and others on loan from Sunderland through his contacts there .

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:55:30 PM by green hats mate »

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 08:54:02 PM »
Jay Rollins was a DG signing wasnt he ?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 09:57:09 PM »

He then left, and came back under AM.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Greengrass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »

I'm showing signs of age here, so can anyone remember who AM had to prise Rollins away from?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »

I'm showing signs of age here, so can anyone remember who AM had to prise Rollins away from?

Nobody. He left the club at the end of the previous season (rejected contract), went on trial for several clubs but then returned a few games into the season after not signing for anybody else.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/