Author Topic: Alfreton away  (Read 17002 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alfreton away
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:50 AM »
Oxo, pleased you think the teams better off without me. I have sponsored games, supported the club since the early seventies and attended hundreds if not a couple of thousand of games. Cold nights at Frickly, Barrow, Workington and other hell holes, don’t make it personal I was only asking is 7 points from 8 games is good enough. If you think it is ok, your welcome to your opinion but mine is it isn’t.

Okay my reply was not phrased well and I am sorry if it offended. All I am trying to do is get some positivity going after all the criticism and disappointment.

The thing is though Mel its not the first time you've come over as quite aggressive towards people on here, and as a prominent BUSA member and fundraiser you do need to stop and think before you post. You can't say things like that on a forum thats read by dozens of people in your position, I know you're a blunt Yorkshireman who says as he sees and it doesn't bother me as I've grown up with people like you (blunt Yorkshiremen!), but I can see how others would take it the wrong way.

To be warned off my a diplomat such as yourself Andy has done the trick. No further comments on anything posted on here from now on.

Time for a bit of your annual winter sun Mel.  I'm  buggering off for 10 days. See you all when it's all calmed down. That's if they allow me back into the country 8) 8)

Typical Brexiteer ,  leave the country when we're in the sh*t . :P

My only worry GHM is it all kicks off over here and I miss it. ;D ;D May and co I mean.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 01:29:21 PM »
Evening all. I've just seen the 3 minute clip of the Alfreton game on the Vanarama website. The disallowed 2nd goal is borderline. Definately debatable. What is not debatable is the shoulder charge in Allott's back in injury time. I reckon the referee was too scared of the Alfreton back 4 to give it. Mind you, they were all on day release from the local remand centre, so who could blame him?
 On a more positive not[ To keep OXO happy!] I bought a return to Chester today. Why? It's my birthday on Feb 16th and I'm having a day out with United. IF we are winning with 20 minutes left. I will slither behind the Chester dug-out and offer haphazard advice to the 2 dwarfs what their next commands should be.
 Finally, it's been 11 years since we left the Football League. We have yet to play a single season in the National Conference. No one should be surprised if others find that frustrating.  However, continual back-biting is not the answer. I am a CE backer, that is not a secret. I also recognise that this season has been a disappointment so far. There is still enough games to get into the play-off zone and stay there.

UTP

Good points made Brummie! Yes a tangible air of frustration permeating the York St airwaves! After the superb 2nd half of last season; expectations were indeed high this term. For whatever reasons the pre season signings didn't gel & consequently there had been no consistency.

As you say we are by no means out of the promotion mix. Anything like that run last jan--april & we could still feature in the play offs. The league is tougher than ever this year & teams really struggling early on (Blyth, York, Southport, Alty etc) are starting to rally. We need to do the same as we are actually in spite of a poor festive run....still handily placed if we can get on any sort of a good run!

For me your point about the 11 years out of the FL is so valid. In that time only DG looked like getting a side together that would take us into the Conference. Yes DG was a divisive figure, enough said, but even if he had of got us back into the league above, some fans would still have derided him 're personal issues?

I still don't get this belief held by some on here that we would struggle in the Conference? Yes the budget would have to increase, yes more lucrative Sponsorship would b required that all goes without saying. What is it we actually want? Another 11 years in the CN; or worse?

It's worth looking at the current top 6-7 in the league above. You will find Harrogate, Solihull Moors, Salford & Fylde. Ok 2 of them have money, but hey they are teams we were playing & beating very recently!!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
I don't really think the club is set up to be competitive in the Conference. Call that negativity if you like but I think we'll at best cling on for a season or two and end up back in this league, which is - truth be told - probably our level for now.

The new ground should give us everything we need to kick on though but clearly unless there's dramatic progress in the next few weeks and months we'll not be playing there til mid to late 2020 at the earliest.

delbar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 03:40:47 PM »
I don't really think the club is set up to be competitive in the Conference. Call that negativity if you like but I think we'll at best cling on for a season or two and end up back in this league, which is - truth be told - probably our level for now.

The new ground should give us everything we need to kick on though but clearly unless there's dramatic progress in the next few weeks and months we'll not be playing there til mid to late 2020 at the earliest.

Barring those couple of years in the Conference and those in the football league, this has been our level pusing on for the last 30 years. not negative just fact.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »

Barring those couple of years in the Conference and those in the football league, this has been our level pusing on for the last 30 years. not negative just fact.

Hey everybody's entitled to their own opinion, it's our forum as fans we know that. Maybe it's time for another, yes an annual forum with the Chestnuts & the Manager so us fans can get some sort of idea which direction our Club is hoping to head?

If the Chairman & the Manager believe the CN is our desired level then they can elaborate on why? I can't for the life of me see that being the level of their ambition for us?

Some on here see budget, funding, sponsorship, new ground, problems with player recruitment being the issue that's stalling our progress up the pyramid? If that's the case then let the hierarchy enlighten us on the said agenda.

Personally after the brief chats I've had with David Newton at away games, he is keen to move BUFC on as far as he can. I just dont get why some fans appear resigned to the "fact" that the CN is "our level"?

I will bang on about Solihull Moors all day long, but how can they be pushing for promotion to the Football League on their meagre resources & we are not apparently able to compete with a v successful low budget ex CN side??

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »
In my opinion the league this year is only tougher than ever because there isn't a decent or consistent side in it. The standard of football is awful and I think that is frustrating so many fans because a half decent side would have seen us well up there.

I would love to see us go up but we are nowhere near ready and if this years recruitment is anything to go by we would come straight back down.

Lets hope we can become consistent and see where we end up. 

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2019, 08:18:43 PM »

Hey everybody's entitled to their own opinion, it's our forum as fans we know that. Maybe it's time for another, yes an annual forum with the Chestnuts & the Manager so us fans can get some sort of idea which direction our Club is hoping to head?

If the Chairman & the Manager believe the CN is our desired level then they can elaborate on why? I can't for the life of me see that being the level of their ambition for us?

Some on here see budget, funding, sponsorship, new ground, problems with player recruitment being the issue that's stalling our progress up the pyramid? If that's the case then let the hierarchy enlighten us on the said agenda.

Personally after the brief chats I've had with David Newton at away games, he is keen to move BUFC on as far as he can. I just dont get why some fans appear resigned to the "fact" that the CN is "our level"?

I will bang on about Solihull Moors all day long, but how can they be pushing for promotion to the Football League on their meagre resources & we are not apparently able to compete with a v successful low budget ex CN side??
I honestly think that this club could compete in the National League, l would imagine there is a plan in place if that was to happen.
I agree with you that we should have ambition and must not accept that this is our level.
I have been away from Boston and the UK for over a decade, and not much has changed regarding the status of the club.
Never must we accept this is our level, to do that would be to put the club in serious but gradually decline.
I watched my first game in over 10 years on Tuesday, and l was impressed to be honest with those players that were representing our club, they should Skill, ambition, aggression and determination.
They have a true fighting spirit, and that's what in my opinion this club has always been about.
So on and forward chin chin.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:04 PM »

Pete B and Delbar  are not being negative they are expressing realistic expectations based on facts , ie funding /player recruitment , occassionaly we get a exception like Solihul .
When Chestnuts came in DN said the plan was to build a new ground and hand over the club debt free to the fans when we moved . I guess we will get less funding from Chestnuts then .

I agree with Holbeach 56  the standard of football in our league is poor this season and if we did manage to get promoted non of our present players would hold down a regular place if we planned to avoid religation .

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 08:48:54 PM »

I honestly think that this club could compete in the National League, l would imagine there is a plan in place if that was to happen.
I agree with you that we should have ambition and must not accept that this is our level.
I have been away from Boston and the UK for over a decade, and not much has changed regarding the status of the club.
Never must we accept this is our level, to do that would be to put the club in serious but gradually decline.
I watched my first game in over 10 years on Tuesday, and l was impressed to be honest with those players that were representing our club, they should Skill, ambition, aggression and determination.
They have a true fighting spirit, and that's what in my opinion this club has always been about.

Agree, after the Ferriby 2nd leg play off loss, we entered a hiatus where DG basically lost the nucleus of a very talented & competitive team. Whatever the budget he had for the following season his demoralised recruitment policy triggered a slump in fortunes that hastened his exit. The Chestnuts responded & appointed a young recent ex FL manager to take us forward. That failed. So again they head hunted a v successful young manager albeit from lower down the pyramid in the hope his previous promotion successes could get this club challenging again (as DG had done) for promotion to the League above.

It's clear from the recruitment so far this season that the intention of the Board & Manager is Promotion. It has to be said that Craig has been funded to the hilt so far this term to bring success. Doe anyone wanna come on & say how many signings he's made since last June?? The recruitment policy so far this season (& it's by no means finished) does not indicate a Club happy to sit mid table in the CN.

Have to agree young ch****,  sorry old man thin that to sit on our laurels would indeed hasten a decline & as we no getting out of this division is tough enough without slipping any lower. Look at the plight of Ferriby, Hyde, Hednesford & Trinity will also do well 2 get back any time soon. Happy New Year Everybody.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2019, 09:07:07 PM »

Pete B and Delbar  are not being negative they are expressing realistic expectations based on facts , ie funding /player recruitment , occassionaly we get a exception like Solihul .
When Chestnuts came in DN said the plan was to build a new ground and hand over the club debt free to the fans when we moved . I guess we will get less funding from Chestnuts then .

I agree with Holbeach 56  the standard of football in our league is poor this season and if we did manage to get promoted non of our present players would hold down a regular place if we planned to avoid religation .

Totally agree GHM re: probably most of current squad would go if we got promoted. However, that's absolutely par for the course for All promoted sides. It is hypothetical at best & Impossible at worst to even try to guess how we would fair in the League above as Nobody on here has any idea of how the Playing Budget would be structured concerning our imaginary National League status.

I disagree with the claims that the current CN is of a poor standard. Take a look at the the results of CN teams against higher opposition in the FA Cup & Trophy. There are more ex FL clubs in our division now than ever. I totally agree a lot of teams are not playing attractive football & are bullying it out to scrap wins, that also gets points!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2019, 09:30:47 PM »

Agree, after the Ferriby 2nd leg play off loss, we entered a hiatus where DG basically lost the nucleus of a very talented & competitive team. Whatever the budget he had for the following season his demoralised recruitment policy triggered a slump in fortunes that hastened his exit. The Chestnuts responded & appointed a young recent ex FL manager to take us forward. That failed. So again they head hunted a v successful young manager albeit from lower down the pyramid in the hope his previous promotion successes could get this club challenging again (as DG had done) for promotion to the League above.

It's clear from the recruitment so far this season that the intention of the Board & Manager is Promotion. It has to be said that Craig has been funded to the hilt so far this term to bring success. Doe anyone wanna come on & say how many signings he's made since last June?? The recruitment policy so far this season (& it's by no means finished) does not indicate a Club happy to sit mid table in the CN.

Have to agree young ch****,  sorry old man thin that to sit on our laurels would indeed hasten a decline & as we no getting out of this division is tough enough without slipping any lower. Look at the plight of Ferriby, Hyde, Hednesford & Trinity will also do well 2 get back any time soon. Happy New Year Everybody.

A fair assessment Champs ,  Craig funded to the hilt , 40+players signed and players paid off and we are tending to slid down the league . What's  the answer ?
O B thins reflection of the last 10 years fails to note many profound changes .    Now in the NCP some seasons we have up to four clubs with a massive parachute payment .  Now there are about 4/5 clubs capable of gates 4/5 k .    In our championship winning season  only  two teams averaged over 2k .

Now in non-league gates table we rank about 35 . 

Add the fact that there appears to be more bigger backers in non-league , leading to wage bills well in excess of £1m k  .

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »

I hope that young chubby fellow comes back, he must be missed.
But l can certainly say without doubt that l am not the one you search for, so please don't mistake me for him.
I do not have much knowledge of the post football league campaigns that this club has taken part in.
I am though looking forward to the upcoming games and supporting the club going forward, but l am so excited to be going back to York Street this Saturday coming after over a decade away, and to also see some old faces.
Happy New year to you too old chap.
Chin chin
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 08:27:11 AM »
The reason I think CN is probably our "level" right now is primarily due to the rent we allegedly pay on the ground. I have no more insight to our finances and those of other clubs than anyone else (and even if I did, I'm not really an accountant) but to cite Solihull Moors as an example of a club succeeding on "meagre resources" strikes me as potentially wrong for a few reasons:

- They have bigger crowds than us
- Solihull is a very affluent part of the UK (more inwards investment perhaps?)
- Better location next to the UK's second biggest city
- Likely more commercial revenue made from the ground
- Likely much lower rent
- Their ground is far less developed than ours, therefore much lower maintenance costs

York Street is expensive to maintain and costs a fortune in rent. We are as it stands only the 35th best-supported non-league club in the country. We still have a reputation as being one of the bigger non-league clubs in the country, but this is by reputation only. I don't disagree we should be ambitious and aim high, and I think when we're a successful club again we can easily bounce our way into the top ten best-supported clubs, but I also think a hefty dose of realism as to where we are right now will help everyone appreciate what it is going to take to climb back to the top.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:28:45 AM by Pete B »

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
The reason I think CN is probably our "level" right now is primarily due to the rent we allegedly pay on the ground. I have no more insight to our finances and those of other clubs than anyone else (and even if I did, I'm not really an accountant) but to cite Solihull Moors as an example of a club succeeding on "meagre resources" strikes me as potentially wrong for a few reasons:

- Likely much lower rent
- Their ground is far less developed than ours, therefore much lower maintenance costs

York Street is expensive to maintain and costs a fortune in rent. We are as it stands only the 35th best-supported non-league club in the country. We still have a reputation as being one of the bigger non-league clubs in the country, but this is by reputation only. I don't disagree we should be ambitious and aim high, and I think when we're a successful club again we can easily bounce our way into the top ten best-supported clubs, but I also think a hefty dose of realism as to where we are right now will help everyone appreciate what it is going to take to climb back to the top.

Agree re: current expense concerning York Street v Solihuls ground expenditure. Also Agree that their catchment area is more lucrative than ours.

As regards Ambition & forward thinking I disagree with the rest.

Check out Solihuls attendances for the season they got promoted from the CN & the previous seasons; you will see a Club whose home gates were regularly below 400 !

Yes this season against the top clubs in the Conference they are getting over 1,000. To say they are a better supported club than us (based on current gates) is wrong. We average over 1000 in the CN; they averaged under 400 in the CN. If we were to make it to the League above; of course our home gates would would increase markedly.

My debating point here is simply this: I totally disagree that the CN is our level. I am positive the Chestnuts & the gaffer would love to take us into the New Stadium (The Young Chubby Arena) as a National League Club.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »

- Likely much lower rent

spot on Pete.
"the top" in reality is the league above, possibly L2?
however, i guess we can look at Stevenage, Fleetwood and Forest green as glowing (sort of) lights?