Author Topic: Time to recall?  (Read 15247 times)

natmic 66

• View Profile
Re: Time to recall?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 09:33:36 AM »
Marriot was a class little player but CE didn't play to his strengths On the floor and through the channels he would have had an hatful!
Don't think it was his attitude it was pure frustration...…….ie HOOFBALL.....

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/match-info/statistics?division_id=42377

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/match-info/statistics?division_id=42378

Some interesting names in the leading goalscorer lists for the two leagues immediately below ours. Nathan Watson scored a lot of goals for Coalville (including, I think, a winner against Shaw Lane in a play off match), and he also scored against us after about 20 seconds of our opening pre season friendly. CE must be aware of him. Two leagues down, the leading scorer plays for Pontefract, CE's home town. For all of the geographical issues around Boston and the impact it has on our recruitment, the majority of players on this list must be in our catchment area.

Would any of these players want to test themselves at a higher level, and could any of them make the step up?

EDIT: just reading that Grimsby have released a 22 year old striker by mutual consent, Louis Robles. Wonder if he'll drop down a level or two and where he'll end up?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:43:43 AM by leicester pilgrim »

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 09:49:06 AM »
I understand various factors make recruitment tricky for Boston, regardless of who they're managed by, but Den (for all his faults) managed to put together a team that was by today's standards very settled and also really quite good. So it's not impossible. It's very telling that we're now beholden to the likes of Harrogate Town for short-term loan deals (or not) - it shows things are slightly chaotic and day-today. Non-league is edging that way for sure, but getting a settled squad nailed down early is one way you can gain an edge over teams like us, who failed to do so when the weather was warm.

Recruitment and retention simply has to get better, simple as that - and we have to start getting better at getting our summer signings right. It did for Den two years ago and it's doing for Craig now. Trying to fix July's mistakes in mid-season is extraordinarily difficult.

You have got it spot on. As YC says As well most of his signings were not given time to settle in. So yes how was CE ever gonna get a settled side? As so many supporters have said: we just don't look like a Team....And this revolving door,  quick fix, bring some more loans in, loan him out regime is the absolute root of this inconsistency.  Once the star summer signings were deemed unfit for purpose, the die was cast & Craig has gone through a ridiculous amount of players.

As u say the successful sides at this level know each other inside out, they have a gang mentality & A strong Team work ethic (And a goalscorer). Greene's successful 3 full seasons was built on the above qualities. He could also get the absolute max out of players & they fought for each other. You have to say that Craig appears unable to foster that spirit, belief & mentality into any of the dozens he has signed never mind build a consistent, settled side.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
Marriot was a class little player but CE didn't play to his strengths On the floor and through the channels he would have had an hatful!

Marriott to me was a 2nd striker - play him off a big man and he'll score goals.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »

Marriott to me was a 2nd striker - play him off a big man and he'll score goals.

If only we'd brought Allott in earlier.... might be a neat little partnership going now.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »
I understand various factors make recruitment tricky for Boston, regardless of who they're managed by, but Den (for all his faults) managed to put together a team that was by today's standards very settled and also really quite good. So it's not impossible. It's very telling that we're now beholden to the likes of Harrogate Town for short-term loan deals (or not) - it shows things are slightly chaotic and day-today. Non-league is edging that way for sure, but getting a settled squad nailed down early is one way you can gain an edge over teams like us, who failed to do so when the weather was warm.

Recruitment and retention simply has to get better, simple as that - and we have to start getting better at getting our summer signings right. It did for Den two years ago and it's doing for Craig now. Trying to fix July's mistakes in mid-season is extraordinarily difficult.

You have got it spot on. As YC says As well most of his signings were not given time to settle in. So yes how was CE ever gonna get a settled side? As so many supporters have said: we just don't look like a Team....And this revolving door,  quick fix, bring some more loans in, loan him out regime is the absolute root of this inconsistency.  Once the star summer signings were deemed unfit for purpose, the die was cast & Craig has gone through a ridiculous amount of players.

As u say the successful sides at this level know each other inside out, they have a gang mentality & A strong Team work ethic (And a goalscorer). Greene's successful 3 full seasons was built on the above qualities. He could also get the absolute max out of players & they fought for each other. You have to say that Craig appears unable to foster that spirit, belief & mentality into any of the dozens he has signed never mind build a consistent, settled side.

Yeah, agreed. I've said it many times before but while Den's off-field antics were an embarrassment to the kind of club we're trying to be they shouldn't detract from the fact his best side had a real "us v the world" feel to it. The players got on really well - they were forever posting pics of themselves on social media as mates, and that spirit even extended to Katie Cooper in the back room staff. Never underestimate the power of proper friendships! Although I'm forever suspicious of people bleating about "passion" and "desire", there's no doubt that in this case that sense of team spirit did translate to better performances on the pitch. We're a long way from that now. That being said, Craig Elliott is still the right man for the job. I think he has huge potential as a manager if he can learn from the mistakes made this season.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2018, 11:19:41 AM »

If only we'd brought Allott in earlier.... might be a neat little partnership going now.

Maybe Allott and Margetts will work... if given the chance!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

youngchubby69

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
I think we have to make chances before we can blame strikers for not scoring.........
We made chances on Boxing day, but our million pound striker put it over the bar from 5 yard's out.
Strikers should also be capable of carving out there own chances, like Reece Thompson and Ricky Miller.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »

Yeah, agreed. I've said it many times before but while Den's off-field antics were an embarrassment to the kind of club we're trying to be they shouldn't detract from the fact his best side had a real "us v the world" feel to it. The players got on really well - they were forever posting pics of themselves on social media as mates, and that spirit even extended to Katie Cooper in the back room staff. Never underestimate the power of proper friendships! Although I'm forever suspicious of people bleating about "passion" and "desire", there's no doubt that in this case that sense of team spirit did translate to better performances on the pitch. We're a long way from that now. That being said, Craig Elliott is still the right man for the job. I think he has huge potential as a manager if he can learn from the mistakes made this season.

All above true ,  the trick Craig has missed is he's failed to make quality signings like Greene did .
Our revolvng door is now well known throughout the league and every time it revolves it makes it harder to tempt players to come through it .
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:52:26 PM by green hats mate »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »
I think we seemed a bit more canny then. Richard the scout had a brilliant eye for a player and he's back with us now so it's been a real surprise to me that recruitment over the last few weeks and months has been so scattergun. Hoping for a much more settled 2019. To be honest I'm not expecting much for the reason of the season now, but I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised. Failing that, using the last few weeks of the season to lay the groundwork for a real push in 2019/20 would be nice. I know it's hard to plan, but if Den can do it then Craig can too. He's not daft.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
The problem is there is a lot more money sloshing about in this lge and the one above than there was three years ago, BPA being a prime example. If we had Miller,Southwell and pidge now there is no way we would be able to hold onto them. Money talks, we may have a decent budget but as for competing for top players forget about it. We must try and find a hidden gem in the lge below some how. Over to you Mr Boryszczuk.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2018, 03:23:34 PM »
The problem is there is a lot more money sloshing about in this lge and the one above than there was three years ago, BPA being a prime example. If we had Miller,Southwell and pidge now there is no way we would be able to hold onto them. Money talks, we may have a decent budget but as for competing for top players forget about it. We must try and find a hidden gem in the lge below some how. Over to you Mr Boryszczuk.

Yes, excellent point. Suppose that feeds into the issue we have about location as well. Even if we could identify a gem a division below, would the step up, bigger crowds and a bit more money compensate them for the extra travelling and inconvenience? I think players these days can pick and choose their clubs a bit more because more can pay them a decent wage. No doubt that has made us much less attractive than we were 15-20 years ago.

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
I can agree with location to a point but if we were doing well players would come. They want to be in a winning side and if we were paying in the right ballpark distance wouldn't be a problem. Always have and always will.

Cousin Jack

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2018, 04:15:41 PM »
    Would"nt mind seeing Lewis Hilliard back - 4 goals and an amazing 18 assists from 23 matches for Peterborough Sports so far this season. We were away so did"nt see the cup game against them, but told that he played well. The return of Hilliard coupled with Grant Roberts recall would offer some strong options in midfield.

jelangley

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 06:37:46 PM »
    Would"nt mind seeing Lewis Hilliard back - 4 goals and an amazing 18 assists from 23 matches for Peterborough Sports so far this season. We were away so did"nt see the cup game against them, but told that he played well. The return of Hilliard coupled with Grant Roberts recall would offer some strong options in midfield.

Couldnt agree more with this - Hilliard is class and playing well below where he should be.  Mybe not the fastest but would certainly give competition for thanoj and abbot.  Hilliard is one of the best passes.of the ball we have have had..