Author Topic: FA Trophy  (Read 5502 times)

Cousin Jack

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
FA Trophy
« on: November 12, 2018, 01:03:50 PM »

Ashton United away

Cousin Jack

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: FA Trophy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »

to be played 24th November, £5000 for the winners

youngchubby69

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
Wonderful news, could be another draw.

Greengrass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 02:22:13 PM »
Expect nothing.........you won't be disappointed then.

youngchubby69

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »
Expect nothing.........you won't be disappointed then.
With our cup records that could be the best policy lol

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
Is anything likely to happen to lift our spirits. Really don't think I can make another effort to go to that dismal soulless dump so soon after the last trip.

youngchubby69

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 03:50:05 PM »
Is anything likely to happen to lift our spirits. Really don't think I can make another effort to go to that dismal soulless dump so soon after the last trip.
If you don't go,who is going to do the post match summary on here, after all you do have something to lift your spirits, Brad Abbott will be back for selection lol

mdfman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 04:55:54 PM »
I do think its an unnecessary insult to call Ashton United a dismal soulless dump. I support Boston but live near Ashton so have seen quite a few games there as a neutral. Last season they had crowds a little over 100 sometimes yet created what atmosphere they could and somehow managed to get promoted to the National North. Yes the stadium is not the best but so what ? At least it has a bit of character and the natives are friendly. Many times I've been stood on the Spayne Road terraces listening to the vitriol and abuse spouted by so called Boston fans who quite frankly are an embarrassment both home and away. The fact that small clubs like Ashton Utd have made it this far should be applauded , not ridiculed for a lack of new facilities and fans.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
Not my preferred tie. They'll fancy turning us over
And there'll be so few people there if we lose we may not have covered costs......

Didn't get to spent time around the ground last time but definitely looks a ropey place, more so than Boston!

At least stalybridge pubs won't let me down end route

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 09:54:08 PM »
I would like to think it's a win-able game. There are worst draws we could have got. Maybe an away tie carries less pressure than a home one?
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

youngchubby69

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 12:07:16 AM »
I do think its an unnecessary insult to call Ashton United a dismal soulless dump. I support Boston but live near Ashton so have seen quite a few games there as a neutral. Last season they had crowds a little over 100 sometimes yet created what atmosphere they could and somehow managed to get promoted to the National North. Yes the stadium is not the best but so what ? At least it has a bit of character and the natives are friendly. Many times I've been stood on the Spayne Road terraces listening to the vitriol and abuse spouted by so called Boston fans who quite frankly are an embarrassment both home and away. The fact that small clubs like Ashton Utd have made it this far should be applauded , not ridiculed for a lack of new facilities and fans.
Nice drive over if you take the scenic route .

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 07:13:56 AM »
I can remember watching a police documentary a while back on TV. The police carried out a drugs bust on a house in the Manchester area; the cameras then panned round to the opposite side of the street and showed the turnstiles of Ashton United. Probably not the best of publicity for the club, and I was certainly careful on my recent visit to make sure everything was locked away in the boot and out of site.

It would have been nicer to have (a) gone somewhere not in our league, (b) been at home, or (c) gone somewhere a little bit closer, but travel-wise it isn't the worst draw we could have had. Bearing in mind most of our squad live in Yorkshire it's not a long distance for the players across Woodhead. And given we've had away cup ties in places like Workington, Dartford and Lowestoft in the past, it's actually a relatively easy journey.

Kirtonian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »
I think the draw is a north/south split. Not sure when it goes nation wide. From my point of view based in Leics, Barwell away would have been good. Maybe next round!

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 08:32:05 PM »
Could've been worse.... Telford got Darlington away and it has been moved to Friday night for some reason....