Author Topic: Striker to watch .  (Read 18841 times)

youngchubby69

Re: Striker to watch .
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »
I come back to what I've said time and time again. Early in Murray's reign the team contained the likes of Kalern Thomas, Shane Clarke, Lewis Hilliard, Ross Durrant, Gregg Smith, Marcus Marshall, Jan Yeomans, Jack Broadhead, Josh Robinson, Tom Batchelor etc etc

The side is no better now than it was then. God only knows how many players have been recruited (some at considerable cost) and subsequently shown the door since then

No real progress in two years tbh. And the style of play is no better either

Views?
Totally agree it's a bloody shambles and embarrassing at time's, and to be honest who the hell doesn't offer one of there top scorers, who contributed massively to our survival last season"Kaba" a new deal.
Yes Kaba got the service from Hemmings and co, but the lad made sure he stuck them away, unlike the pathetic strikers we have now.
If we loose on Saturday Elliott must go, yes it's harsh but he had no more clue about players and tactics then Murray did.
Shaw Lane had a big financial backing and we're able to sign players that were from higher leagues, and that's what was behind Elliott's success.
I am so disappointed by him, and if he proves me wrong I will happily apologize for my comments.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
YC - big words. If we lose on Saturday then CE must go. We're hardly bottom of the league. Realistically, given our circumstances, financial position, geographical location etc etc, what do you think our level is ? I would say play-offs zone in the NLN. I'm not saying I wouldn't want better than that but I am realistic.

Yes, it's not great that CE is getting through a load of players but if at the end of the season we are in the play-offs then I'm not too fussed how many players he has used - as long as he hasn't got us into debt. We'd all like a nice settled squad of 18 players - same team week in week out but it doesn't always work out like that. I believe CE is suffering as a result of his summer recruitment. He thought he'd got it spot on with the like of Marriott, Arnold, Margetts, the Harrogate centre half - and most fans would have thought the same too. As it happened, they didn't deliver. CE has had to react (unlike Murray who stuck with his failures and took us to the bottom of the table - a manager you vehemently backed don't forget) . He has reacted but it's not easy to get replacements once the season has started so it's trial and error to a certain extent.

Let's keep the faith. Nothing to be gained from more chopping and changing off the pitch at this stage. Unless you have the perfect manager lined up ?

TEP

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 10:10:15 AM »
YC - big words. If we lose on Saturday then CE must go. We're hardly bottom of the league. Realistically, given our circumstances, financial position, geographical location etc etc, what do you think our level is ? I would say play-offs zone in the NLN. I'm not saying I wouldn't want better than that but I am realistic.

Yes, it's not great that CE is getting through a load of players but if at the end of the season we are in the play-offs then I'm not too fussed how many players he has used - as long as he hasn't got us into debt. We'd all like a nice settled squad of 18 players - same team week in week out but it doesn't always work out like that. I believe CE is suffering as a result of his summer recruitment. He thought he'd got it spot on with the like of Marriott, Arnold, Margetts, the Harrogate centre half - and most fans would have thought the same too. As it happened, they didn't deliver. CE has had to react (unlike Murray who stuck with his failures and took us to the bottom of the table - a manager you vehemently backed don't forget) . He has reacted but it's not easy to get replacements once the season has started so it's trial and error to a certain extent.

Let's keep the faith. Nothing to be gained from more chopping and changing off the pitch at this stage. Unless you have the perfect manager lined up ?

TEP
ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON THERE  TEP.
ITS AN ODD SEASON, WE THINK WERE RUBBISH BUT THEN WE LOOK AT THE LEAGUE TABLE AND AS THEY SAY "LEAGUE TABLES DONT LIE"
GIVEN A COUPLE OF WINS WE WOULD BE NEAR THE TOP!
LAST SEASON WE WERE NEARER THE BOTTOM.
WHO WOULD BE A MANAGER!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »
Some people need to go back 12 months and see where we were! Karl Hawley was still caretaker manager, and we'd drawn 2-2 at home to Stockport just before CE took over.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
As I said in an earlier post sort the midfield, and we have a team.  That is the stupidest remark I have heard Chubby. CE is the man for the job at the present time.  We have to give him a season then review the situation.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 11:35:45 AM »
Some people need to go back 12 months and see where we were! Karl Hawley was still caretaker manager, and we'd drawn 2-2 at home to Stockport just before CE took over.

Correct, also 4 points adrift in bottom 3. I think we hadn't won in about 10 games & a tough run of fixtures coming up,  & with a new manager needed most fans thought we were down. Ive said it often enough that run from Craig Elliot coming in was an  incredible run of results culminating in the thrashing of the top 2 Harrogate & Salford. All those results weren't a fluke. We are still in with a shout of play offs so calling for CE to go????

youngchubby69

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
If we put last season to one side, and look at our current league position and lack of consistent form, are we honestly looking like a side that has improved from last season.
The team is no better with what we finished with last season, so have we improved????
We can all sit and blow sunshine up CE backside but the truth is we are not progressing on the pitch, results and performances speak for themselves, ultimately CE is responsible for recruitment, tactics, motivation and performances, that's his job he is the manager.
He won't get the sack and he doesn't look like a quitter, but yes we have a chairman that is willing to give a manager time to improve,but we also know that he is not afraid to release a manager or two if he sees no improvement in performance, that's a fact.
I personally don't see the point in this revolving door of players coming in and out of the team, it suggests to me that the coaching staff are not capable of developing what they have signed, and are desperately trying to bring players in as a quick fix.
The revolving door policy only promotes, disharmony, uncertainty, distrust,lack of consistency and disruption.
We have been lucky so far that other teams have had inconsistencies in their results, but that will soon change and if we don't follow suit, we will be set adrift in the deep waters of mid table trying to tread water and not slowly sink into relegation places.
All l am saying is if a change in manager is required to prevent this, then so be it.
I don't personally want that to happen as l like the guy, and yes he saved us from relegation and gave us something to play for at the end of the season, but that was last season and now we are in a new one that so far has been so up and down with performance that l actually feel sea sick.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
Eeeh Lad tha does talk a load of tripe sometimes. Time you gave it a rest and spent a bit of time thinking before writing.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 03:20:15 PM »
This is modern day non-league football for you YC - not everywhere but it's becoming more common. It's not as if CE has been signing all these players on long-term contracts.

As for not improving on last year, you're probably right. But maybe you can't always improve year on year - otherwise you'd ultimately end up always climbing the table and always getting promoted. I guess it's about setting expectation and the level you think the Club should be at. It would be great to have a promotion like say Guiseley, Telford, Alty etc but then they've all had to go through the NL struggle and been relegated shortly afterwards. Was it worth it? Are these Club's any further forward because of what they've gone through? You could argue that a good season for us would be winning plenty of games, getting to the play-offs, getting through to the final and then losing - not having the worry of NL football the following year and whether we go full time, rebuild the squad etc etc. Not wishing to sound unambitious as I'd love us to win every week but just taking a different perspective on the bigger picture.

Who'd be a manager - especially at non-league level. Maybe the only job that's worse is that of a non-league linesman :)

TEP

youngchubby69

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »
Eeeh Lad tha does talk a load of tripe sometimes. Time you gave it a rest and spent a bit of time thinking before writing.
Do not see your point there, as what I have wrote is mainly from facts and personal experience, if you go by your own posts you often complain about the players that have been signed.
The only thing you haven't complained about is the man who signed them.
Let's see what happens by the end of the season.

youngchubby69

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
This is modern day non-league football for you YC - not everywhere but it's becoming more common. It's not as if CE has been signing all these players on long-term contracts.

As for not improving on last year, you're probably right. But maybe you can't always improve year on year - otherwise you'd ultimately end up always climbing the table and always getting promoted. I guess it's about setting expectation and the level you think the Club should be at. It would be great to have a promotion like say Guiseley, Telford, Alty etc but then they've all had to go through the NL struggle and been relegated shortly afterwards. Was it worth it? Are these Club's any further forward because of what they've gone through? You could argue that a good season for us would be winning plenty of games, getting to the play-offs, getting through to the final and then losing - not having the worry of NL football the following year and whether we go full time, rebuild the squad etc etc. Not wishing to sound unambitious as I'd love us to win every week but just taking a different perspective on the bigger picture.

Who'd be a manager - especially at non-league level. Maybe the only job that's worse is that of a non-league linesman :)

TEP
I don't really want promotion as of yet and perhaps that's why CE is going through so many players and experimenting.
The problem is with that is many fans are getting frustrated with it.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 04:15:31 PM »
YC, I would say that frustration is all part and parcel of football. It's what we unknowingly sign up to when we start being supporters. Man Utd fans will be frustrated at their team at the moment - spent all that money and they aren't winning the league. Stockport - they were in the Championship. Their fans seem permanently frustrated. Lots of examples everywhere. There will always be something to be frustrated about. :)

TEP

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »
Totally disagree about the manager must go if we see defeat on Saturday Young Chubby. If we were down near the bottom them yes, you could state a case. But we are still in a competitive position, albeit there in average form. I do agree that the strikers are not as good as some of recent years. But was we just lucky to have the likes of the 'Miller's' or 'Southwell's' or defenders like the 'Pidge's' or 'Pearson's' of this world. The manager which we have here now clearly knows about players of such calibre, but sadly they come at a high cost. Of course, there are some rough diamonds out there and it is the job of the scout and manager to find them. But are we, as fans, too quick to dismiss players at York Street ? Are we led into this false perception that because we have a history as a top non league side that we now have that god given right to be playing in the Conference Prem ? Sadly the years of a level playing field in non league has long gone, it's now the battle of the richest. It is frustrating, but unless any of us can find a way of injecting huge cash sums into the club to improve chances of promotion then we'll just have to keep battling it out until we can find those cheap rough diamonds that can give us some success.

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »
I can totally see where you are coming from yc, however I think we have to stick with CE until end of the season unless we get dragged into trouble, which the way the league is this year could happen.

We pay good money for admission and should expect effort and a little skill from our team management , which at the moment we are only getting from about 3 players. If we settle for mediocre then gates will fall , possibly back to the days of 600, and it will be very difficult get back as we are finding out already.

In my opinion the turnover of players is contributing to poor team spirit and hence erratic results.

We had a great opportunity to get somewhere this year but sadly we are not taking advantage of it.

I think we will finished nearer bottom than top but really hope not.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
If we put last season to one side, and look at our current league position and lack of consistent form, are we honestly looking like a side that has improved from last season.
The team is no better with what we finished with last season, so have we improved????
We can all sit and blow sunshine up CE backside but the truth is we are not progressing on the pitch, results and performances speak for themselves, ultimately CE is responsible for recruitment, tactics, motivation and performances, that's his job he is the manager.
He won't get the sack and he doesn't look like a quitter, but yes we have a chairman that is willing to give a manager time to improve,but we also know that he is not afraid to release a manager or two if he sees no improvement in performance, that's a fact.
I personally don't see the point in this revolving door of players coming in and out of the team, it suggests to me that the coaching staff are not capable of developing what they have signed, and are desperately trying to bring players in as a quick fix.
The revolving door policy only promotes, disharmony, uncertainty, distrust,lack of consistency and disruption.
We have been lucky so far that other teams have had inconsistencies in their results, but that will soon change and if we don't follow suit, we will be set adrift in the deep waters of mid table trying to tread water and not slowly sink into relegation places.
All l am saying is if a change in manager is required to prevent this, then so be it.
I don't personally want that to happen as l like the guy, and yes he saved us from relegation and gave us something to play for at the end of the season, but that was last season and now we are in a new one that so far has been so up and down with performance that l actually feel sea sick.
YC, he didn't just "save us from relegation" he damn near took us into the playoffs from the bottom 3. I've tried to avoid being confrontational, but we are 6 points from the top of the league, what exactly is it that you expect? You were still backing AM 12 months ago when we were firmly in the relegation spots. I fully accept we have different opinions, but WTF?
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684