Author Topic: Striker to watch .  (Read 18853 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Striker to watch .
« on: November 10, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
Young Oxford City striker scores a hat-trick at Tranmere in the FA Cup

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Striker to watch .
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 05:24:10 PM »
Totally agree with you GHM.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »
Clearly - yes!!
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 09:12:58 PM »
The same player who only scored a single first half goal last season? (At Salford, from 2 inches). He wasn't consistent enough to warrant starting games, and left because of that.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:19:41 PM »
I came across some old team sheets the other day... lots of names already forgotten...Tyron Hare was one i did recall.. what happened to him??

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
The same player who only scored a single first half goal last season? (At Salford, from 2 inches). He wasn't consistent enough to warrant starting games, and left because of that.

The second half of last season we had Rollins , Thompson , Hemmings to get the ball in the box to create him chances .
Now we lack quality in almost all positions .

TriKillieTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
I came across some old team sheets the other day... lots of names already forgotten...Tyron Hare was one i did recall.. what happened to him??
Playing at Matlock

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »

The second half of last season we had Rollins , Thompson , Hemmings to get the ball in the box to create him chances .
I agree GHM, he needs a supply man, and the 3 you mention gave him that in bucket loads. And again you're right, we haven't replaced any of them.

You're final comment regarding "quality players" is also very true. We've now got a team of players from Shaw Lane's level with an odd exception. CE has signed guys he knows well but mostly are from below our level, hence IMO one reason for our inconsistency. Apologies if I offend anybody, but in my book we have 3 players who I would say are genuinely good enough for this level. 2 proven ones in David Norris and Ben Davies, and 1 up and comer, Ashley Jackson. Beyond that, there's a lot of huff and puff without consistency.

I'm still very much a believer that we can achieve a play-off place this season, but the in consistency is very frustrating. Having said that, a good friend of mine BOSTON UTD STATS on Twitter tells me his record over 12 months is very similar to DG first 12 months, and his record brought us play-off football, so I remain optimistic, yet frustrated!
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 12:02:45 PM »

I agree GHM, he needs a supply man, and the 3 you mention gave him that in bucket loads. And again you're right, we haven't replaced any of them.

You're final comment regarding "quality players" is also very true. We've now got a team of players from Shaw Lane's level with an odd exception. CE has signed guys he knows well but mostly are from below our level, hence IMO one reason for our inconsistency. Apologies if I offend anybody, but in my book we have 3 players who I would say are genuinely good enough for this level. 2 proven ones in David Norris and Ben Davies, and 1 up and comer, Ashley Jackson. Beyond that, there's a lot of huff and puff without consistency.

I'm still very much a believer that we can achieve a play-off place this season, but the in consistency is very frustrating. Having said that, a good friend of mine BOSTON UTD STATS on Twitter tells me his record over 12 months is very similar to DG first 12 months, and his record brought us play-off football, so I remain optimistic, yet frustrated!

As you say TTT we have 3 players just about good enough for a play-off challenge but 2 of then 37 ,  will be a big ask for them to play regular until the end of the season .

What the main difference  between DG and CE teams at this stage is that Greene's team contained Miller, Mills, Pidge, Garner , all in the early 20's who have gone on to a higher level ,  and when the revolving door went into motion a young skilled player from Sunderland's 23's Prem League leaders usually walked through .

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
Southport will be a different proposition on Sat than their league position indicates. New signings & a resurgence in place there, including recently hammering kiddie 4-1 away, and knocking a Conference side out the cup yesterday (Boreham Wood). Our fate this season will be much clearer after the next 9/10 fixtures: Chorley, York, Spenny, Alfreton twice, BPA, Altrincham, Kiddie, Leamington & Guiseley.
All tough games against mostly top sides challenging for the top 7. Yes so are we, but the way we are set up at present where's the goals coming from? Like yesterday, with our lack of creativity & supply  I can see us losing vital games; that when we go behind teams find it easy to shut us out & they are more likely to score again as we push forward with little or no quality to open the opposition up.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
Yes I think Curzon is the only game when we have got points after going behind. As Tipps End Pilgrim and others have said, we lack the creativity of last year. Watching yesterday we thought the only way we were going to score was if a Telford player made a mistake rather than anything positive we did.

That said, I'm pleased the Chestnuts are not in the habit of sacking managers unless we look like we might be getting relegated and so CE will be given time. I am not sure he will be able to sort it all out, but I do think he will give a good go. Again as others have said he is still learning at this level. I suspect he has looked at Paul Hurst's managerial career and fancies that for himself (maybe not the recent sacking mind!), in a way I never got the impression that Jason Lee, by all accounts a nice man, was driven to have a managerial career. CE must know if he fails here he is unlikely to get a job further up the pyramid.

youngchubby69

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 05:45:55 PM »
I do agree with most of what is said above by many, but one thing I disagree with is that a few people think that we will be in the play offs positions come the end of the season.
We will not and l can't see any improvement in performance very shortly.
At this point in the season, players that are available to sign are often cast offs from other clubs.
I would like to know how much money has been spent so far on under performing players, and if that money has surpassed the transfer fee that was demanded by Guisley for Thompson.
Just a thought.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
I do agree with most of what is said above by many, but one thing I disagree with is that a few people think that we will be in the play offs positions come the end of the season.
We will not and l can't see any improvement in performance very shortly.
At this point in the season, players that are available to sign are often cast offs from other clubs.
I would like to know how much money has been spent so far on under performing players, and if that money has surpassed the transfer fee that was demanded by Guisley for Thompson.
Just a thought.

Its a really valid point YC. Craig wanted Reece to build his forward line around, Guiseley knew that so coupled with that impressive loan spell here last season, they tried to get silly money out of DN. I questioned the players attitude, not what I saw here, but based on the contempt Guiseley fans have: 're his temperament? In hindsight yes CE would have been better advised to pay the fee for Thompson, as I'm sure the money wasted on the other strikers Would have covered the RT deal & easily left enough over for an attacking midfielder or 2.

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
I come back to what I've said time and time again. Early in Murray's reign the team contained the likes of Kalern Thomas, Shane Clarke, Lewis Hilliard, Ross Durrant, Gregg Smith, Marcus Marshall, Jan Yeomans, Jack Broadhead, Josh Robinson, Tom Batchelor etc etc

The side is no better now than it was then. God only knows how many players have been recruited (some at considerable cost) and subsequently shown the door since then

No real progress in two years tbh. And the style of play is no better either

Views?

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 09:35:12 PM »
A couple of wins in the next two or three games, and we will be right back amongst it! I still believe!
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684