Author Topic: v Ashton Utd  (Read 8598 times)

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v Ashton Utd
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
Two really poor sides today. A draw a fair result.

We are missing two things - confidence and a player that can run with the ball and be creative. Last season we had Rollins and Hemmings. We desperately lack creativity this season. I'd like to say AUFC were there for the taking but we had no spark - virtually nothing in terms of excitement in the final third.

We can castigate Abbot, the goalie and the disciplinary record all we like but creativity is our issue. I'm not saying its easy to get the personnel to solve this but until we do then it won't be great viewing.

TEP
taking your point about missing creativity, lets not forget the 10 or so goals Reece Thompson scored, and the 10 penalties we gained, mostly due to Reece being fouled running at defenders. when he was on his game, he was a right pain in the arse to the opposition backline. We don't have that this season either.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 10:32:39 AM »
Did Slew contribute much on his first start?

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
Oxo has it about right.

Early in the second half Jackson fouled the Ashton centre forward and it was very borderline in terms of whether or not it was inside the penalty area. The ref gave a free kick outside the box, but the Ashton dugout weren't happy. I was stood right next to the home dugout at the time and couldn't quite believe what I was hearing. First, the Ashton manager shouted to the ref he was a f***ing cheating c***, then for good measure he said exactly the same thing to the linesman. Quite honestly, the Ashton manager made Steve Evans look like Mary Poppins. The linesman definitely heard what was said and glared at the manager, but no further action was taken. What exactly do managers need to say to get themselves sent to the stands?

Later on in the game Brad Abbott was stupid for his own conduct towards the referee. I also heard what was said and I can't defend him. But his language was no worse than the Ashton manager, and on the basis of what had been allowed earlier in the game I still feel let down by the inconsistency of the officials.

Overall, didn't think we played particularly well. Great goal from Ryan Qualter, but other than that we were below par.

On the issue of their manager I have never seen the dug outs so far apart and in this soulless ground so much so that they were almost opposite the 18 yard box, This in effect meant that the home dug out are in the face of the linesman both when attacking and defending, of the numerous offside flags against Boston in the first half the linesman was invariably stood with his flag up dead in front of the home dug out with their staff appealing. Likewise when they were attacking as explained by LP. This is not an excuse for failing to win but certainly any weak lino (and there are plenty of those in this division) will be effected by this.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 09:20:23 PM »
Did Slew contribute much on his first start?

Worked hard, ran their defence around, like the lads up top did but quality was lacking with the final ball or shot

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/