Author Topic: Million pound player arrives.......  (Read 8942 times)

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
Re: Million pound player arrives.......
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »
His scoring record is that of a centre half not a centre forward. Can’t see where we are going with this one, hopefully will be proved wrong.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

rob.1987

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »
"In March 2015 he was caught by police speeding at 156mph in his BMW M4 on the Cambridgeshire section of the A1, in what was the fastest recorded speed on a public road in the UK for more than three years; he was banned from driving for six months and handed a £1,400 fine."

Crikey! Let's hope he finds his feet in National League North just as quickly...

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
His scoring record is that of a centre half not a centre forward. Can’t see where we are going with this one, hopefully will be proved wrong.

Tash ,  Pidge and Scott Garner both scored more goals in a season than this lad has in his proffessional career .

Did we have to fight off Mercedes to obtain his signiture ?  ;)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
A Sheffield United supporting mate sent me this;

Jordan Slew??

Do you know Andy I thought he was going to be everything when he was a kid with us. Was in the youth Cup final side with Maguire and George Long. Shot off to Blackburn far too early, should have stayed a couple of years like Harry Maguire.

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
At least he shouldn't be late for training!

11 goals in 120+ games isn't great though

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 06:34:18 PM »

Tash ,  Pidge and Scott Garner both scored more goals in a season than this lad has in his proffessional career .

Did we have to fight off Mercedes to obtain his signiture ?  ;)

We can only go on track records  and stats: however early potential etc that does not materialise into goals & does  not fill me full of anything other than doubt. Hope I'm totally wrong of course!! But let's be honest here Craig's record with strikers (he was a CF himself) is poor. Letting Smithy go then getting him back due to pre season signings being poor says it all.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »
It's ironic champs that when Greene signed Smith he got a lot of stick "panic signing ",  " lower league player" ,"not good enough" etc .

Now many who used those comments are pleased to see Gregg back .  I suspect we will see out most of these newcomers .

youngchubby69

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
We need to just let him show us what he can do.
The speeding thing is in the past, a lot of players have been caught doing worse things, Wayne Rooney comes to mind.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
I'm not usually negative before I see a player, but his Wikipedia page isn't kind to him. Lots of moves, very few games, even fewer goals. Maybe it's Lamin Colley's long lost cousin? I'd love to be proven wrong, but despite a well documented big money transfer, it's not great reading. Let's hope he scores a hat trick and I will gladly eat a big slice of humble pie.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:44:17 AM by The Third Twin »
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »
It's ironic champs that when Greene signed Smith he got a lot of stick "panic signing ",  " lower league player" ,"not good enough" etc .

Now many who used those comments are pleased to see Gregg back .  I suspect we will see out most of these newcomers .

On the line GHM you are right! Craig Elliot was a shit hot Centre Forward....end of...If....If he can get Smithy to hold it up....iF
Hold it up then bring in the Attacking Midfielders we can wipe. My concern is if he
 Can't do this simplest of instructions now then it aint happening any time soon

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
Given the concerns raised, hope he is on non-contract terms for now.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
We've had strikers who have struggled to score at higher levels before and come here and been prolific. There's a big gap between our league and League 1 & 2 where he has played most of his football.

Southwell scored 3 in 42 apps for Grimsby before coming here (then scored 1 in 25 for Wycombe after leaving). SWD 3 in 40 for Notts County.

If his head is in the right place and is managed well Slew could find his feet at this level and do well.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:43:57 AM by Lee Newell »

youngchubby69

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
We've had strikers who have struggled to score at higher levels before and come here and been prolific. There's a big gap between our league and League 1 & 2 where he has played most of his football.

Southwell scored 3 in 42 apps for Grimsby before coming here (then scored 1 in 25 for Wycombe after leaving). SWD 3 in 40 for Notts County.

If his head is in the right place and is managed well Slew could find his feet at this level and do well.
Very true Lee, and we should not be writing this guy off before he even kick's a ball.
He obviously has talent or he would not have been rated a million pounds and one point.
We also have to remember that he has been on trial with us before getting a deal.