Author Topic: Oh dear  (Read 30122 times)

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2018, 01:23:45 PM »
It baffles me how talented well paid players can often appear uninterested & totally unmotivated?? We have seen more than enough of that with the sides the 2 most recent managers have fielded! Once again a decent chance to progress in the FA Cup disappears at home with only the slightest sound of a whimper. Oh the cash would have been great for us 2!!

A few of us from work went to watch Gala (shiels) Fairydean Rivers play Lossiemouth yesterday in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup. They made it such an occasion....under 16's in free....they had the Scottish Cup there from Hampden so kids could get photo took with it. Lossiemouth from the highland league are a bigger wealthier outfit but Gala were at home had the crowd behind them & they just totally went for the jugular from first whistle. The football was all on the deck & I was v impressed with the standard  of play.  Gala routed them 6-0 . Importantly some of the players on both sides are on expenses only based contracts....no money in scottish non league....but the quality of these players is right up there!!  So big wages fees etc isn't always the answer.

Went to gala to see east Stirling in February. Decent community setup even if their ground is limited in structure
Then again there was barely 100 there that day!

bilbo baggins

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »
I tend to come on to the forum and have a look at the various comments made by fans on players, the manager, the team, the tactics etc, but never post.
This is my first post so I’ll get my tin hat on now as no doubt some fans will disagree with my perspective, however I accept that, as it is all about opinions on how we as individuals see things.
When CE was unveiled as the manager I have to be honest and say he was not whom I would have appointed, but we had to trust the chairman and the board in appointing him, and having looked at his track record, I thought give him time to settle in, build his own team and see how things progress.
For me the team has not developed or improved since he took over, his signings and team selection are erratic, players are played out of position and where players under perform rather than working with them and understanding why or what the cause is, he shows them the door. I do wonder how you get a team to gel or foster team spirit when there is such a rotation of players in and out of the club.
I also believe CE is a manager who does not know his best team, the formation to play them in, how to change a game when things aren't working, tactics to use and how to motivate. We might have good spells but we have no consistency and that is what is required to win a title or at least get us into the play offs. For me sadly we will never win this league with him in charge because of the aforementioned. A lot of fans keep believing he has the ability to turn around, do fans not realise the fact, it’s his team selection/tactics that are causing the inconsistency in the first place?

Football managers/coaches at this level have to have several key things to succeed, tactical awareness, the ability to change things during a game and good man management skills. I think he lacks those skills, the latter opinion comes from a few things I have heard from former players, as well as just general observations during a game along with his responses after some games. It's a pity, but he just doesn't inspire me and I cannot go on accepting his usual post match comments of players not good enough etc; he brought them to the club, coach them, manage them, analyse the issues, resolve issues don’t just show them the door. 
Finally I believe the manager has run his course at Bufc, the inconsistency, the standard of football, continual movement of players in and out is simply not acceptable. He’s been here long enough and my patience is wearing thin as I don’t see progress. I honestly can’t see CE taking us any further and he needs to be replaced. We need a new management team with fresh ideas.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
It baffles me how talented well paid players can often appear uninterested & totally unmotivated?? We have seen more than enough of that with the sides the 2 most recent managers have fielded! Once again a decent chance to progress in the FA Cup disappears at home with only the slightest sound of a whimper. Oh the cash would have been great for us 2!!

A few of us from work went to watch Gala (shiels) Fairydean Rivers play Lossiemouth yesterday in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup. They made it such an occasion....under 16's in free....they had the Scottish Cup there from Hampden so kids could get photo took with it. Lossiemouth from the highland league are a bigger wealthier outfit but Gala were at home had the crowd behind them & they just totally went for the jugular from first whistle. The football was all on the deck & I was v impressed with the standard  of play.  Gala routed them 6-0 . Importantly some of the players on both sides are on expenses only based contracts....no money in scottish non league....but the quality of these players is right up there!!  So big wages fees etc isn't always the answer.

Went to gala to see east Stirling in February. Decent community setup even if their ground is limited in structure
Then again there was barely 100 there that day!

Half the problem in the borders Josh is folk have very little disposable  income! 8 quid is actually a lot to most people up here to watch a Lowland League game! Yesterday when u paid u got a free ticket  for Galas next home league game!! Their local rivals Selkirk sadly folded on 15 August gone....ironically the Selkirk/Gala derby should have been played the following Saturday. I would say there was about 8/900 there yesterday kids were free & with the 6 grand prize money for winning a real shot in the arm for as u rightly say a club right at the heart of it's community.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »
Don't like to disappoint you GHM. Sounds to me as I was listening to the manager on the radio going home to Woodhall that he is as shocked and fed up as the rest of the fans. It also sounds as if several of the existing squad better start looking for new clubs!

Confidence is a wonderful thing, and for some reason it just seems to have left these players. Could just be a home thing as they seem to play well away from home, but these last 4 home games have been pitiful. Cant see where the next goal is coming from and changes must be made.

1 -- Everybody thought CE was the best thing since sliced bread last year and that the squad assembled this year was full of potential. Started well and now at home we look useless. Still think Craig is our best bet at moment, but needs to review tactics asap. Agree with others Davies has been best player over last few home games, we need an outfield captain, so make him captain. I disagree with OXO ( not very often but on this occasion I do) on Abbott and Thanoj, they have been very good up until now, but often get overrun in midfield because of other sides playing 3 in midfield,we need to do the same. I dont like players coming back to clubs, but short term Norris coming back could help that by playing those three in midfield.

2 -- We have skilfull players in the club, but play them in the right position, lots seem to be out of position eg Walker. Why we have to continually play the long ball down to oppositions hugh centre backs I shall never know, play diagonal balls to utilise the pace in the team and as I have said many times play it on the ground. Sides in this league do not like pace against them!

3 -- Loan players have potential, but  in my view the current ones are not right for us in this physical league. Ernie and I were talking about this, dont know if the loan deal specifies they have to play 60 mins etc, but that is no good. I think they should all go back.

4 -- Re those sat on the bench that we all thought should be playing well for us-- we all know who they are, I would start them all for 2 or 3 games and if they still under perform or cant be bothered, then I would get rid of them straight away.

5 --Generally I do not like players coming back to clubs after they have left. They left for a reason, usually because we can get in better players. The current ones probably excluding Norris smack of panic and desperation. We know we need some new players, but why panic and bring in or back the wrong ones.

I still think the basics are right, but tactics must change, players that continue to under perform or disappoint must be shown the door, and we must support the manager and the team he selects 100%. If this all fails then we have to look to change it at the top but not before.

Wow Dt, you have hit the nail on the head
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
I tend to come on to the forum and have a look at the various comments made by fans on players, the manager, the team, the tactics etc, but never post.
This is my first post so I’ll get my tin hat on now as no doubt some fans will disagree with my perspective, however I accept that, as it is all about opinions on how we as individuals see things.
When CE was unveiled as the manager I have to be honest and say he was not whom I would have appointed, but we had to trust the chairman and the board in appointing him, and having looked at his track record, I thought give him time to settle in, build his own team and see how things progress.
For me the team has not developed or improved since he took over, his signings and team selection are erratic, players are played out of position and where players under perform rather than working with them and understanding why or what the cause is, he shows them the door. I do wonder how you get a team to gel or foster team spirit when there is such a rotation of players in and out of the club.
I also believe CE is a manager who does not know his best team, the formation to play them in, how to change a game when things aren't working, tactics to use and how to motivate. We might have good spells but we have no consistency and that is what is required to win a title or at least get us into the play offs. For me sadly we will never win this league with him in charge because of the aforementioned. A lot of fans keep believing he has the ability to turn around, do fans not realise the fact, it’s his team selection/tactics that are causing the inconsistency in the first place?

Football managers/coaches at this level have to have several key things to succeed, tactical awareness, the ability to change things during a game and good man management skills. I think he lacks those skills, the latter opinion comes from a few things I have heard from former players, as well as just general observations during a game along with his responses after some games. It's a pity, but he just doesn't inspire me and I cannot go on accepting his usual post match comments of players not good enough etc; he brought them to the club, coach them, manage them, analyse the issues, resolve issues don’t just show them the door. 
Finally I believe the manager has run his course at Bufc, the inconsistency, the standard of football, continual movement of players in and out is simply not acceptable. He’s been here long enough and my patience is wearing thin as I don’t see progress. I honestly can’t see CE taking us any further and he needs to be replaced. We need a new management team with fresh ideas.

I think most of your comments are correct ,  the thing where we should take caution is rushing in to sack the manager , can you name a good candidate ?  .   Remember a small section of fans told us 2/3 years ago sacking the manager was a sure fire way to win the league rather than scrape into the play-offs as we had been doing .   I think we have to give him until the end of the season

Craig did an unbelievable job last season with an honest set of non-league players .

Has he played at full-time level ?     If not maybe these so called stars that Craig signed see themselves  superior in tactical knowhow .

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2018, 03:48:48 PM »

I think most of your comments are correct ,  the thing where we should take caution is rushing in to sack the manager , can you name a good candidate ?  .   Remember a small section of fans told us 2/3 years ago sacking the manager was a sure fire way to win the league rather than scrape into the play-offs as we had been doing .   I think we have to give him until the end of the season

Craig did an unbelievable job last season with an honest set of non-league players .

Has he played at full-time level ?     If not maybe these so called stars that Craig signed see themselves  superior in tactical knowhow .

I see your point 're players &  so called respect for the gaffer. But look at last seasons free fall under Murray. AM had extensive FL experience and as a champion several  times. Yet none of that could stop the dressing room rot and only his resignation lifted the gloom.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »
I have no doubt that The Chairman and Craig will have a long chat tomorrow on what is happening at the club. Going out of the FA Cup so early has cost us a some hard earned revenue which we can ill afford to lose. I think we have to prepare ourselves for a bit more turmoil in the next few weeks as the inevitable adjustments are made to the squad and possibly, although unlikely at this stage, staff.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »
I was one among many that witnessed that shocking performance yesterday.
I say shocking because swearing on here is not the thing to do. I see no reason to put all the blame on CE, he got experienced players in who must have bought in to his ideas for the season. Those players have let the manager down, the chairman down, the supporters down and their selves down.
I certainly believe some names will disappear from the team sheet in the next week or so, and rightly so.
It will be an interesting couple of weeks ahead.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
I think we have to remember some of the words echoed by many supporters during the latter Greene period of "he signed the players, it is his responsibility". There was quotes about the "tinkerman" after signing so many players and swapping and changing things all the time.

I feel Nothing has changed here now, but the attitudes towards the same problems seemingly have. We seem far more reluctant to blame this manager. Craig has to show some resilience and fast, there is no doubting he has the right credentials to be a good manager but right now, something is just not clicking into place. Anyone know how the total of signings at this stage of the season compare to previous seasons at the same stage ? With us now out of the cup at the first hurdle, no doubt this will have a knock on effect to any extra player funds for the rest of the season. It is down to these current players to do what we know many of them can and play as a group and create some attractive football. Of course, that latter is down to how the manager decides to set them out.

So I end with where I started....it is the managers responsibility.

youngchubby69

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2018, 07:45:57 PM »
After all said and done, this season had still a long way to go.
Things can only get better.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »
Then the club should remind the players of your words by playing the D:ream classic as they come out the tunnel !

youngchubby69

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »
Then the club should remind the players of your words by playing the D:ream classic as they come out the tunnel !
It would make a few people chuckle though playing that lol.

youngchubby69

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »
It would make a few people chuckle though playing that lol.
I would like to follow up that comment by saying
"What could possibly go wrong"

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »
if things keep going as they are "send in the clowns" will be more likely....
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2018, 10:23:29 PM »
Agree with much of what DT says.

Feel a bit sorry for CE. On paper he recruited well in the summer on the whole. He put his faith in the likes of Marriott, who has done it at a higher level and scored for fun at Royston last year. I'm not sure what's happened to the likes of him and Arnold. Wrong type of players around them? Don't like CE? Something else ? You generally don't become a bad player overnight. And we had the untimely departure of the star centre half from Harrogate.

I don't like the loanees - not good enough.

I think we need two new centre halves. The ones from PSL looked good. Height and / or pace up front - a must in this league. And finally, someone who can run with the ball , take players on and get crosses in - like a Hemmings or a Jay Rollins. Sort that out and we'll fly.

TEP