Author Topic: Oh dear  (Read 29725 times)

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2018, 01:32:55 AM »
Wind back almost two years

The likes of Gatter batchelor robinson maguire Hilliard yeomans brown durrant smith vince marshall all got stick

In truth the current crop are much higher paid and no better. In fact the above shade this lot for 100% effort

Discuss

Agree with that T &J ! Your afore mentioned were decent players. I cannot get to home games at no due to work commitments in Scotland. But I will go with apparently the most influential player on pitch yesterday Lewis Hilliard.  If anyone wants to dig any of my posts out 're his time with us....crack on. We should/could have built a team around him!! CREDIT to DG for bringing probably one of the most skilful creative goalscoring attacking midfielders at this level. Yet DG and then Murray both castigated him for lack of work rate in a defensive midfield role they shackled him with? After his display against curzon Murray said he should be playing in League 2.....we no the rest!! I don't think the recent seasons mediocrity is about the ability of players it's the ability of managers  to get the max out of them.gala fairydean

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 08:10:00 AM »
Wind back almost two years

The likes of Gatter batchelor robinson maguire Hilliard yeomans brown durrant smith vince marshall all got stick

In truth the current crop are much higher paid and no better. In fact the above shade this lot for 100% effort

Discuss
[/quote

Wonder how  well paid  Marriot and Margetts are compared to Southwell, Miller and Newsham ?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 08:30:15 AM »
Due to the yobs in visiting stand corner I moved Spayne Rd  corner of ground and spotted a few familiar old faces from days I was a regular there .

Disappointed my old mate dt Woodhall has not come on to give his opinion of the present team and management .

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2018, 08:54:55 AM »
Here is the link to my public Facebook photo album with some snaps from the game:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156722735564282&type=1&l=565426dacf

Lots of snaps of Gregg Smith in the second half as the tactic seemed to be to get the ball to him as much as possible.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
Here is the link to my public Facebook photo album with some snaps from the game:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156722735564282&type=1&l=565426dacf

Lots of snaps of Gregg Smith in the second half as the tactic seemed to be to get the ball to him as much as possible.
like him or otherwise, at least we had a target second half, so no wonder he appears often!
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 10:19:13 AM »
It baffles me how talented well paid players can often appear uninterested & totally unmotivated?? We have seen more than enough of that with the sides the 2 most recent managers have fielded! Once again a decent chance to progress in the FA Cup disappears at home with only the slightest sound of a whimper. Oh the cash would have been great for us 2!!

A few of us from work went to watch Gala (shiels) Fairydean Rivers play Lossiemouth yesterday in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup. They made it such an occasion....under 16's in free....they had the Scottish Cup there from Hampden so kids could get photo took with it. Lossiemouth from the highland league are a bigger wealthier outfit but Gala were at home had the crowd behind them & they just totally went for the jugular from first whistle. The football was all on the deck & I was v impressed with the standard  of play.  Gala routed them 6-0 . Importantly some of the players on both sides are on expenses only based contracts....no money in scottish non league....but the quality of these players is right up there!!  So big wages fees etc isn't always the answer.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 10:29:12 AM »
It baffles me how talented well paid players can often appear uninterested & totally unmotivated?? We have seen more than enough of that with the sides the 2 most recent managers have fielded! Once again a decent chance to progress in the FA Cup disappears at home with only the slightest sound of a whimper. Oh the cash would have been great for us 2!!

A few of us from work went to watch Gala (shiels) Fairydean Rivers play Lossiemouth yesterday in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup. They made it such an occasion....under 16's in free....they had the Scottish Cup there from Hampden so kids could get photo took with it. Lossiemouth from the highland league are a bigger wealthier outfit but Gala were at home had the crowd behind them & they just totally went for the jugular from first whistle. The football was all on the deck & I was v impressed with the standard  of play.  Gala routed them 6-0 . Importantly some of the players on both sides are on expenses only based contracts....no money in scottish non league....but the quality of these players is right up there!!  So big wages fees etc isn't always the answer.

Sounds good Champs ,  I afraid the FA Cup would not have raised the asperations of many of our players yesterday .

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
Here’s the team from Murray’s first game

Hundreds of thousands of pounds have gone out of the club since. Is the club any further forward on the pitch?

Boston (4-1-2-1-2): Ross Durrant; Kalern Thomas, Josh Robinson, Joe Maguire, Ben Gordon; Charlie Gatter; Callum Chippendale (Ben Clappison 36), Lewis Hilliard (Lamin Colley 77); Marcus Marshall (Jason St Juste 88); Jay Rollins, Gregg Smith. Subs (not used): Waide Fairhurst, Michael Emery (gk).

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2018, 10:40:53 AM »

Sounds good Champs ,  I afraid the FA Cup would not have raised the asperations of many of our players yesterday .

None of it adds up GHM....I know there have been a few decent results away so far....but this awful home run is starting to look like Murray's dreadful run last season with attitudes & performances to match. This is not as simple as a sad coincidence anybody put their finger on what's causing this apathy ??

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2018, 11:06:29 AM »
Manager has no experience at Step 2 I'm afraid

No experience motivating well paid players many of whom have played higher

That said, it is his team. Not anyone else's. Week after week more and more players come in. It's just a revolving door at the club

Players play best in a settled side with a settled shape and the same people around them. Is anyone out there convinced the manager knows his best team or best formation because it doesn't look that way to be. Just lumping it will get you nowhere in this league

Massive wage bill, big squad and I don't personally think there's been much on field improvement since Murray came in

Know your best 11, make sure they know the shape you want and stick with them for a while
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:34:52 AM by tom and jerry »

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
have a clear out like boston town have dun and, they did ok yesterday

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »
I'm with you Champs, I always thought we should have kept Hilliard, told to do what he wants and get someone else to do his share of the donkey work...

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »
Don't like to disappoint you GHM. Sounds to me as I was listening to the manager on the radio going home to Woodhall that he is as shocked and fed up as the rest of the fans. It also sounds as if several of the existing squad better start looking for new clubs!

Confidence is a wonderful thing, and for some reason it just seems to have left these players. Could just be a home thing as they seem to play well away from home, but these last 4 home games have been pitiful. Cant see where the next goal is coming from and changes must be made.

1 -- Everybody thought CE was the best thing since sliced bread last year and that the squad assembled this year was full of potential. Started well and now at home we look useless. Still think Craig is our best bet at moment, but needs to review tactics asap. Agree with others Davies has been best player over last few home games, we need an outfield captain, so make him captain. I disagree with OXO ( not very often but on this occasion I do) on Abbott and Thanoj, they have been very good up until now, but often get overrun in midfield because of other sides playing 3 in midfield,we need to do the same. I dont like players coming back to clubs, but short term Norris coming back could help that by playing those three in midfield.

2 -- We have skilfull players in the club, but play them in the right position, lots seem to be out of position eg Walker. Why we have to continually play the long ball down to oppositions hugh centre backs I shall never know, play diagonal balls to utilise the pace in the team and as I have said many times play it on the ground. Sides in this league do not like pace against them!

3 -- Loan players have potential, but  in my view the current ones are not right for us in this physical league. Ernie and I were talking about this, dont know if the loan deal specifies they have to play 60 mins etc, but that is no good. I think they should all go back.

4 -- Re those sat on the bench that we all thought should be playing well for us-- we all know who they are, I would start them all for 2 or 3 games and if they still under perform or cant be bothered, then I would get rid of them straight away.

5 --Generally I do not like players coming back to clubs after they have left. They left for a reason, usually because we can get in better players. The current ones probably excluding Norris smack of panic and desperation. We know we need some new players, but why panic and bring in or back the wrong ones.

I still think the basics are right, but tactics must change, players that continue to under perform or disappoint must be shown the door, and we must support the manager and the team he selects 100%. If this all fails then we have to look to change it at the top but not before.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
Spot on DT

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2018, 01:12:32 PM »
In his interview CE says he needs to surround himself with players he can trust

Implying he doesn't trust the players he's bought in. If that is the case then it's his flawed recruitment or that of whoever is doing the recruiting that is causing the problems

So the recruitment seems to have been wrong. And the motivation is clearly wrong. Besides selecting the shape, what more does the manager do? So on two out of three jobs CE is found wanting. This is a different level from where he's been at before and he seems to not quite be up to the job at the minute