Author Topic: Is Gregg Smith on his way back to York St?  (Read 20761 times)

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is Gregg Smith on his way back to York St?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »
With very few exceptions I think it is usually a bad idea to bring players back to the club again. I wish him well but it was clear to me that he was never going to be the answer. Hopefully our current ones given a chance can improve the situation but our total goals scored so far is great cause for concern

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 09:42:42 PM »
Gregg played his first game for Tamworth tonight at St. Neots 0 - 0
United we stand..................

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »
Like I've said before dt, we desperately need creativity. Players who can run with the ball, take the opposition on,  get crosses in etc. This isn't GS so I'm not too bothered about this latest announcement.

TEP

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 09:09:17 AM »
A cult hero who we were fortunate to get for a second bite of the cherry. Tamworth's gain and our loss. Best of luck, Gregg.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
Nobody can dispute Greggs effort prior to his injury, but not the same player since. He was never blessed with great skill unfortunately and if we have ambitions to get out of this league upwardly then we need players of a better level than smithy.
Hopefully he can settle at Tamworth.

Not sure he has acquired cult status with us, not with us long enough and not a good enough player.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Nobody can dispute Greggs effort prior to his injury, but not the same player since. He was never blessed with great skill unfortunately and if we have ambitions to get out of this league upwardly then we need players of a better level than smithy.
Hopefully he can settle at Tamworth.

Not sure he has acquired cult status with us, not with us long enough and not a good enough player.

A fair summary which fits all the strikers we have had so far this season .

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 03:09:11 PM »
Agree with that Holbeach. He was effective when CE took over and we needed to battle out of the bottom three but I don't think he has the skill, finesse, temperament or fitness to make such an impact at the other of the table at this level.

TEP

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 04:30:48 PM »
Like I've said before dt, we desperately need creativity. Players who can run with the ball, take the opposition on,  get crosses in etc. This isn't GS so I'm not too bothered about this latest announcement.

TEP

Agree TEP, Some of our fans had said Smithy could be our Matt Rhead? Apart from stature, that's where the comparison ended. Yes Gregg is committed & in your face but as u & others are posting he just doesn't have enough goals in him, the skill, or hold up play, which is needed at this level. When he first signed I really saw him as a CF who was young enough & with good coaching, could really improve in to a top striker. Yes he suffered that dreadful ankle injury, did well to fight back, but the main Areas mentioned on here regularly where he needs to improve, never materialised? Still I wish him all the best & expect him to do v well at that level.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »
Hope it works out for Gregg at Tamworth. Always gave 100% and that's all us fans can ask for... good luck big man!

youngchubby69

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 08:43:44 AM »
The problem is, the writing was on the wall when Allott arrived at York Street, Gavin has in his game that Greg does not have, perhaps that's why CE signed him.
It is a real shame that Greg doesn't have it, l listened to Greg's interview after his first Tamworth game, in which he refers to the fact that he wants to rediscover his form again, and thinks Dennis can help him do that which l think he could.
Now do we have a underlying problem here with CE not being able to get strikers scoring again, to me it seems that way, if you look at the departures so far it makes very worrying.
Marriott, Margets, Arnold, Westcar, l am sure there are others that you all could mention.
Regardless if we think that the before mentioned were just taking the money, sadly CE did not get the best out of them.
That's a fact but very sad.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »
YC - refer to my earlier posts. I don't think the responsibility rests solely with the strikers here - it's the creativity around them which is missing. Some of our forward players have been able to generate this themselves to a certain degree in the past - Thompson, Southwell, Miller etc but the average run of the mill striker at this level needs service - something we are sadly lacking. Rollins comeback can't come quickly enough.

TEP

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 12:36:01 PM »
Good points yc and tep . hope Rollins live up to expectation after a long term injury.

holbeach 56

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
I think that we will struggle to score goals with anyone up front because Craig seems to be very conservative in his tactics and unless we can find someone with a conversion rate of over 70% of chances to goals (not much hope) our scoring record will not improve much.

We seem to be set up to get better results away from home. So it may be that if we want to see the best of our team we need to get on the road.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »
Yes h56 - like my 345 mile round trip to Ashton on Saturday !!

TEP

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2018, 07:53:07 PM »
I think that we will struggle to score goals with anyone up front because Craig seems to be very conservative in his tactics and unless we can find someone with a conversion rate of over 70% of chances to goals (not much hope) our scoring record will not improve much.

We seem to be set up to get better results away from home. So it may be that if we want to see the best of our team we need to get on the road.

The bottom line is we need to sign a goalscorer. Absolutely like it or lump it, Dennis Greene brought such strikers to the club. Mark Jones, Ricky Miller, Southwell, Sands, I me a  what part of it don't you Get!!  Craig is like Murray clueless to solve the problem.