Author Topic: Captain  (Read 3370 times)

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
Captain
« on: September 02, 2018, 11:29:20 AM »
I think this needs a re-think by the management team. I don’t think goalkeepers make good captains think Craig did this to boost George but it is not working. Davies IMO would make a great captain with his all action style, I know he is well into his 30’s but you need a captain who is close to the action.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Captain
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
I agree. Nothing against GW, but I also think you need somebody at the heart of it all. Maybe a centre back, maybe a centre mid. The question is of course, who? Personally, I don't think we have a true leader in the squad, so God knows who.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

youngchubby69

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
I agree with Tash, Davies is the man for me,he looks like a player who has all the qualities that a captain.
He has experience, know how, determination and is not the kind of player you can bully.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 02:11:55 PM »
I'm not sure I agree.

When the manager went out and signed Jon Stewart last season, he gave Stewart a contract until the end of this season and I'm pretty sure he was contemplating releasing Willis in the summer. But Willis didn't sulk, accepted his place on the bench, turned up reliably week-in week-out for training and went about winning back his place from Stewart. He showed a lot of character and professionalism and set the right example to both his manager and the rest of the players. He came back into the side a better goalkeeper than he had been at the point he was dropped. I wouldn't have picked him as my captain at the beginning of the season, but I wouldn't argue against the choice either - it's a just reward for the way he's conducted himself and the example he's set. And in the absence of Jay Rollins I believe he is also our longest serving player.

For me it's not a change of captain that's needed, it's for "captains all over the pitch" to step forward and make an impact.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
A bit of a side issue regarding goalkeepers being captain, I have found that when I have gone to exchange the team sheet with the opposition/referee invariably the referee asks if there is an outfield player that can also act as captain that they can talk to if necessary.

This is normally to save a bit of time e.g. if there is an incident at the other end of the field to which the goalkeeper is standing that requires a "quiet word" with a player and captain. They would rather have a quick word with the player/senior outfield player who can act as captain rather than drag the goalkeeper the length of the field and back. If it was to discuss something major then they would normally involve the goalkeeper.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
a good captain shud be able read the game and demand more from players when needed me granddad said in 20/16 boston town nealy went down with the same captain hes a good player but not good to have the armband so in 2017 frost still played him but not with the armband and they had a fab run. then greene came in gave him the armband back so how have they done since then his he any better at the job