Author Topic: Altrincham (A)  (Read 8135 times)

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Altrincham (A)
« on: August 17, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »
Many on here going to this one?
Seem to be towards that part of the world every saturday in this early part of the season!
Bit of a mixed bag for me going there, the 1-7, a 0-0 and the 1-0 win when we were both pish, though generally we've not got a good record there.

They've scored about the most but got the joint worst defensive record. Might be a slight blessing that Jackson can play tomorrow although I can see us extending Lees' loan for another month if needed for the last of those 3 games he's banned for.

Fingers crossed we see further signs of the team coming together, probably our most difficult game thus far (not sure how they lost at home to FCUM though!), I'd keep it unchanged but hopefully the scrappy lumping it forwards like we had until we scored v Nuneaton, we can show a bit more composure on the ball as we've created plenty of chances in the last 2 games once we've played it about.

Bookies have bit about 50/50, I'd probably go score draw but let's pinch a win and build on this promising start

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham (A)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
I'll be there. Somewhat incredibly, this will be my first ever trip up to Moss Lane - it's one of those fixtures that always seems to clash with other commitments.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:57:14 PM »
Up to second in the league, superb start to the season. This really could be our year for promotion. Team is gelling and once that belief sets in thanks to the wins, confidence just gets higher and higher.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:05:29 PM »
Excellent start, let's keep it going!   8)

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 05:38:52 PM »
Great result, well done Craig and the team.

youngchubby69

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:33:40 PM »
Get in there, and Marriott is up and running.
Things can't be bad xx

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 07:31:36 PM »
Excellent start to the season.  Well done to everyone connected to BUFC.  Great team effort.
United we stand..................

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »
Carry on like this and we will walk this tin pot league. Seriously though today was really outstanding, the whole team worked their socks off never giving Alty a chance to put many decent moves together, the defence is growing in confidence with every game. Lovely to see the boys get the ball on the ground and string some great passes together, It would be wrong to single out individuals but I am going to do, Nicky Walker responding to Craigs faith in him with a man of the match performance, never let their defence and keeper have a seconds rest so very unlucky with a wonderful strike in the first half that hit the post, quite superb. Another great shift by Jon Waffula winning headers at will in both attack and defence. Lovely passing football for both goals that were expertly taken by Marriot and Arnold respectively. We could well miss Jackson in next three games, He gave them nothing today but I think we have the strength in depth to cope. I say again all the boys gave their all today and were roundly cheered and clapped off the park by some very happy, excited supporters. Let's get York Street rocking next Saturday, that is of course if Spenny turn up.  UTP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »
Carry on like this and we will walk this tin pot league. Seriously though today was really outstanding, the whole team worked their socks off never giving Alty a chance to put many decent moves together, the defence is growing in confidence with every game. Lovely to see the boys get the ball on the ground and string some great passes together, It would be wrong to single out individuals but I am going to do, Nicky Walker responding to Craigs faith in him with a man of the match performance, never let their defence and keeper have a seconds rest so very unlucky with a wonderful strike in the first half that hit the post, quite superb. Another great shift by Jon Waffula winning headers at will in both attack and defence. Lovely passing football for both goals that were expertly taken by Marriot and Arnold respectively. We could well miss Jackson in next three games, He gave them nothing today but I think we have the strength in depth to cope. I say again all the boys gave their all today and were roundly cheered and clapped off the park by some very happy, excited supporters. Let's get York Street rocking next Saturday, that is of course if Spenny turn up.  UTP

Not much to disagree with here. Before KO I was looking at how many goals Alty had scored and looking at our somewhat makeshift CB pairing and I said to Dunc, "I've got a bad feeling about this." Luckily, I'm normally wrong about football and I'm delighted to report that today was no different: Harris and Lees were absolutely brilliant, they hardly put a foot wrong all game and nor did Willis - although him going down injured did again give me palpitations with no sub gk on the bench.

I thought Nathan Arnold drifted in and out of the game as he did against Nuneaton, but the beauty of a player of his quality is that he's a danger even in fits and starts. His goal was taken beautifully - he is a class act and as the season progresses I can see him growing into this team and being a more consistent threat. It's not all working for him at the moment, but two goals in two games  -both brilliant finishes - don't lie.

As for Nicky Walker - hard to know what to say really. He is going to be absolutely huge for us this season if he carries on like this.

Quibbles? Plenty! But I hope all positive in a way. The passing in the final third is still really off - again, this is something I see improving as this team gets more games under its belt, but right now it's often wasteful and frustrating - even for the players if some of the gesticulating is to go by. Tied into that, the lack of clear cut chances is a concern. And as good as that makeshift CB pairing is, I'd like to see a bit more depth there.

Harder games to come, no doubt. But we're second, we're playing well, we're getting results away - and you feel there's so much more to come from this team. Excited? You bet.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
A few snaps from the game in a Public Facebook Photo Album

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156637250229282&type=1&l=94a0d2ad15

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
Perfect away performance
Don't recall alty having a shot and whilst we didn't create chances for fun we were very clinical 2nd half

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
Top result, well done lads.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 09:23:52 AM »
Really pleased with this result...had we lost the "we've only beaten bottom teams" thinking would start to creep in.
Well done to scouts manager and players... job done

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
And a few snaps for those that don't do Facebook:

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/altrincham180818.html

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
How good was Toby Lees yesterday?! Absolutely immense!