Author Topic: Nuneaton tonight...  (Read 14820 times)

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nuneaton tonight...
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »
Just wait until we really click and get a referee who gives us some change.....

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 09:24:26 AM »
I wouldn't have called the game 'dreadful', but for all their ability this is a Boston side still well short of the levels I think they can achieve. Some of the final balls were terrible and I felt we were extremely wasteful in possession at times. But this is all stuff that will come as we get more games under our belt so I'm not at all concerned.

Arnold's off-the-ball movement is what I think marks him out as a player coming from a few levels up. Some of it, particularly early on, was superb but he wasn't getting the ball in those positions so started to drift inside looking for it and ended up perhaps trying a tad too hard, but swapping wings seemed to bring him back into the game. It was shame to hear fans behind me chuntering on about him even though he didn't have a bad game.

Nicky Walker was extremely impressive after he came on, but I have to say I was a tad alarmed by Willis charging out of his area into a full-throttle challenge given we didn't have a spare keeper on the bench!

Officials were dreadful. The shove on Willis deserved a red, but by only showing a yellow Fearn set the tone and was always likely to run into problems later on. Still, there was no need for the "get back in the kitchen" shouts. It's 2018 lads...

I agree with you Pete.  You must have been stood very close to me.  Old " green hat " was giving it plenty again.  The sooner he learns he is being counter-productive with his comments the better ( don't hold your breath ).  I saw one or two giving him verbal for his comments.  He has picked his player to call for the season, and no surprise it is Nathan Arnold.  A Lincoln City supporter told me, you get the best out of Arnold if you keep off his back, when he is good he is Very good, but his head drops when criticised.  I was pleased to see him change wings.  I was stood with my daughter and grand daughter and my grand daughter could not believe the comments made towards the ref concerning her gender.  I said as a ref she was crap, but being a woman had nothing to do with it, being  a crap ref is part and parcel of this league.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
A great start to the season, Ok we haven't played the best teams but to keep picking up the points whilst sorting out the best starting eleven is just what the doctor ordered. I feel there is so much more to come from this squad and when we really gel we will be a real force to reckon with.
Thanks to those who dropped their jam jars in to me last night, it would be lovely if more fans could get involved.(just chuck your loose change in a container and drop off with me in the Pilgrims Lounge prior to all home games) up to plus 2,300 pounds towards a fans project chosen by you in the new stadium.  UTP

pieman pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
I hadn't seen us play for a while and I enjoyed the match. First half I thought was poor quality, passing was inaccurate and far too hurried, our midfield needed a bit more composure when we are in possession. Johnson also struggled upfront to hold the ball up and made some poor decisions when he was in good positions. Second half was much better and we looked a lot more threatening and played some good football. Must say that our fitness levels are very impressive and when we lose possession, the way we press and harry to regain possession is very impressive. The crowd got behind the team in the second half and it made for a good atmosphere. Thought the sending off was very harsh, the tackle was a bit late but certainly not malicious, the ref looked a bit out of her depth to be honest. All in all a very enjoyable evening. UTP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
Must say that our fitness levels are very impressive and when we lose possession, the way we press and harry to regain possession is very impressive.

Good point that. We did it throughout, but I was really impressed with some of the pressing/closing down towards the later stages of the game, especially considering we were down to ten men.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
Been a couple of comments about Johnson but what he did do in the first half was pestered their defence to death and thus created space for others, He is still learning his trade and will be a great asset going forward.

pieman pete

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
Oxo, think you are absolutely correct about Johnson but I feel he might be more effective coming on as an impact substitute at the moment, but definitely one for the future. UTP

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
I wouldn't have called the game 'dreadful', but for all their ability this is a Boston side still well short of the levels I think they can achieve. Some of the final balls were terrible and I felt we were extremely wasteful in possession at times. But this is all stuff that will come as we get more games under our belt so I'm not at all concerned.

Arnold's off-the-ball movement is what I think marks him out as a player coming from a few levels up. Some of it, particularly early on, was superb but he wasn't getting the ball in those positions so started to drift inside looking for it and ended up perhaps trying a tad too hard, but swapping wings seemed to bring him back into the game. It was shame to hear fans behind me chuntering on about him even though he didn't have a bad game.

Nicky Walker was extremely impressive after he came on, but I have to say I was a tad alarmed by Willis charging out of his area into a full-throttle challenge given we didn't have a spare keeper on the bench!

Officials were dreadful. The shove on Willis deserved a red, but by only showing a yellow Fearn set the tone and was always likely to run into problems later on. Still, there was no need for the "get back in the kitchen" shouts. It's 2018 lads...

I agree with you Pete.  You must have been stood very close to me.  Old " green hat " was giving it plenty again.  The sooner he learns he is being counter-productive with his comments the better ( don't hold your breath ).  I saw one or two giving him verbal for his comments.  He has picked his player to call for the season, and no surprise it is Nathan Arnold.  A Lincoln City supporter told me, you get the best out of Arnold if you keep off his back, when he is good he is Very good, but his head drops when criticised.  I was pleased to see him change wings.  I was stood with my daughter and grand daughter and my grand daughter could not believe the comments made towards the ref concerning her gender.  I said as a ref she was crap, but being a woman had nothing to do with it, being  a crap ref is part and parcel of this league.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 04:35:12 PM »

Sounds as though little has changed since I abdicated to the main stand a couple of years ago DIP, a move  that has made a positive effect on my the enjoyment of the game .
No "green hat"  in sight ,   no one to tell CE to get "the useless b*****d" off ,  only to tell him after a substitution the sub is  "f***ing useless" and its too late in any case .

I think CE will stick to his stratagy and put Walker in the starting line up on Saturday as reward for his performance .  Problem at the moment seems due to match fitness etc Craig is still working out his best strike pairing .
What has  " green hat" got to say on the striking situation Dip ? .   are all ajudged  "f***ing useless" ?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
KEEP IT ON THE GROUND ;D ;D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
Sorry Pete and DIP I feel I must stand-up for Dave this time, last night he was well behaved until the two brothers started on to him.   It was me that kept telling them to play it on the ground, when they did we got the second goal :)   A fair portion of last nights game seemed, to me anyway, seemed to be "hoof ball" from Nuneaton and "head tennis" from both teams, but I enjoyed the game!!!

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
I have no major problems with Jackson's sending off, as it was very late and potentially damaging. However, I do have a problem with the ref not sending off their bloke who blatantly and deliberately pushed Willis off the pitch, itself potentially very damaging. At least Jackson was trying to play the ball - their bloke was making no attempt at all. If refs don't take a firm line on that sort of thing, we will never get thuggery out of football.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »
PS If what their bloke did wasn't deliberate foul play, I've no idea what is. And they had another couple of similar incidents.

youngchubby69

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 07:57:57 PM »
I have no major problems with Jackson's sending off, as it was very late and potentially damaging. However, I do have a problem with the ref not sending off their bloke who blatantly and deliberately pushed Willis off the pitch, itself potentially very damaging. At least Jackson was trying to play the ball - their bloke was making no attempt at all. If refs don't take a firm line on that sort of thing, we will never get thuggery out of football.
The sending off was wrong as l have stated earlier, but Ashley hasn't had much sympathy from the camp, l would imagine that the opinion is that he gave the ref who was very unpredictable all gane, the chance to make that decision.
Ashley is a very exciting young talent and l am sure he will learn from this incident.
As l was always told by the more mature and experienced players when l played as a young man, don't dive in,stay on your feet and stand the player up
Sound advice back then, which l never forgot and stood me in good stead for the rest of my playing days.

youngchubby69

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
Been a couple of comments about Johnson but what he did do in the first half was pestered their defence to death and thus created space for others, He is still learning his trade and will be a great asset going forward.
I am with you on that one, he will be very good as he develops.