Author Topic: Nuneaton tonight...  (Read 15123 times)

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
Nuneaton tonight...
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
... any goals yet?  ???

steve m

• View Profile
Re: Nuneaton tonight...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »
That was dreadful.....we were bad and they were worse! Add to that an incompetent referee........

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »
I wouldn't say we were bad! It wasn't pretty but we were attacking for most of the game. Thought Walker played brilliantly in the second half, very direct with his dribbling and always offering an option.

Let's keep the run going.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »
Agree about Walker....

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 10:17:00 PM »
That was dreadful.....we were bad and they were worse! Add to that an incompetent referee........

"Dreadful"?  Really?
You must have been watching a different game to me mate!  I thought it was a pulsating game with lots of incidents and talking points.Football is all about opinions and thats mine. Our midfield IMO played really well,very strong and kept pressing all the time. I agree with you that the Officials were {very} poor....inconsistent with their decisions and a Linesman who wasnt capable of making ANY decisions. A well deserved 3 points and a good healthy attendance. COYY.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
I agree about the ref.  Should have shown cards earlier, you could see it was going to turn ugly.

I enjoyed the match, thought we were the better team.

I also agree about Walker, I think he has earned himself a starting slot.

Could not see the tackle, that got him sent off.  Pity straight red, three games missed.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »
Who cares about if we were dreadful or not, 'as some would counter claim'. Its all about points on the board and flying high in the league ! Every single Pilgrim should be happy with our start points wise  ;D
In any sport or profession, there is always room for improvement. But lets be thankful for what we have so far.
Onto the next game, another three points and put ourselves in the position of a team to fear.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »
Great result. I thought we bossed the game for 44 minutes and they managed to frustrate us, but a quality finish from Arnold changed both half time team talks. They had to try to score rather than nullify our possession, and I thought we took control of the game. Abbott, Thanoj and Waffula never stopped, and I have to say Walker played possibly his best 52 minutes in a Boston shirt. We got what we deserved, despite the worst efforts of the referee. I've been complimentary of Ms Fearns in the past, but pardon the puns, she had a mare, and once the handbags started, she lost control. Yes, it was a red card, but so should their #9 have had one earlier for quite deliberately shoving Willis into the boards. And where she got the extra minutes from I will never know. Anyway, if you'd offered me 9 points from 12 two weeks ago, I've had snapped anyone's hand off. As I said, a great result.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
I was surprised to see three minutes added, I thought it was at least five.  Not sticking up for her, but perhaps the 4th official put the wrong time up.

Never in a million years was it seven thou.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 10:55:19 PM »
I was surprised to see three minutes added, I thought it was at least five.  Not sticking up for her, but perhaps the 4th official put the wrong time up.

Never in a million years was it seven thou.

Im pleased she did not ask for 5 to go up we would missed breakfast

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »
If that’s awfull I’ll take that every week. We played some great one touch football through the middle and perhaps let it down with the final ball which will come in time. Second half Walker added to it with a pace I didn’t see last time here was here.  As for the red not far from it the player was caught yes but never a red and then their player does the cheeky head into ours and gets a yellow. Not to criticL of ref as players from any team try and con the ref but the limo was dreadful.  But we won good support and atmosphere second half and again the team was clapped off from the town end and at the tunnel.  I’ll take awful more often. 

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 11:47:53 PM »
Not dreadful in my opinion. Nuneaton are always difficult to break down. We were patient and got our goals. Red card made it a nervy last ten when we should have been home and dry but that's  football. Great start to the season,

TEP

Ps. See Gregg Smith scored tonight.

youngchubby69

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 07:14:53 AM »
Great result, some good attacking football, defence was strong, goals well taken, great effort and energy.
Was not a sending off, happened straight in front of me, late yes but only just caught him, only yellow considering the other incidents, Willis pushed deliberately into the boarding head first, Marriott taken out from behind and l think the late lunge on Middleton.
She had an awful game and the two officials didn't exactly help her out.
But a win and 9 points and 3rd yes 3rd in the league, things are certainly looking good.
Come on you super pilgrims.

ElIdolo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »
All in all a good performance. First half a few things felt forced - Abbott seemed to be trying too hard with his play, but he kept it simple in the second half and was more effective. Johnson struggled a little and the substitution made sense - especially when on came Walker who put in a hell of a shift. Someone pacey who chases down lost causes can often find an extra 5 or 6 chances and his introduction made a big difference.

First goal may have been scrappy but we had been working hard for it. The second goal was good play by all involved, Arnold's pass, Walker chasing it down and managing to pick out a pass back inside to Wafula who presumably nobody expected to get the ball as he drifted forward unmarked.

I thought the sending off was a shame as he had been coming into the game more and more - the opposite of their left back who by the second half was getting found out and his flaws shone more than his fancy footwork.

The defence were solid again, a few shaky moments early on but they got stronger as the game progressed. Arnold is also looking better each week, a goal will help his cause and interesting to see what comes from him as you can tell he still as another gear to slip into.

The less said about the referee, the better. Nice to hear the noise inside as the game began to go on too, was good to hear the whole crowd get behind the team in the final 15.
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious" - Michael Scott

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
I wouldn't have called the game 'dreadful', but for all their ability this is a Boston side still well short of the levels I think they can achieve. Some of the final balls were terrible and I felt we were extremely wasteful in possession at times. But this is all stuff that will come as we get more games under our belt so I'm not at all concerned.

Arnold's off-the-ball movement is what I think marks him out as a player coming from a few levels up. Some of it, particularly early on, was superb but he wasn't getting the ball in those positions so started to drift inside looking for it and ended up perhaps trying a tad too hard, but swapping wings seemed to bring him back into the game. It was shame to hear fans behind me chuntering on about him even though he didn't have a bad game.

Nicky Walker was extremely impressive after he came on, but I have to say I was a tad alarmed by Willis charging out of his area into a full-throttle challenge given we didn't have a spare keeper on the bench!

Officials were dreadful. The shove on Willis deserved a red, but by only showing a yellow Fearn set the tone and was always likely to run into problems later on. Still, there was no need for the "get back in the kitchen" shouts. It's 2018 lads...