Author Topic: Home win v Guiseley  (Read 16248 times)

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Home win v Guiseley
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
A win and a clean sheet makes for a great start to the season.  Not the most exciting match but pleasing in the way the defence nullified the threat of Thompson who was replaced on 77 mins by Felix who was equally well contained.  Willis may have seemed a strange choice for the captaincy but it seemed to work and I can't remember him having a shot to save.  Andre Johnson replaced Jonny Margetts on 69 mins and his injection of pace almost led to an immediate breakthrough.  5 mins later he eluded the last defender and scored what would be the only goal of the game. 
United we stand..................

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Home win v Guiseley
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
Good opening day workout. Both teams will get better .
A lot more enjoyable than last seasons opening game!

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
Good opening day workout. Both teams will get better .
A lot more enjoyable than last seasons opening game!
3 pts and a clean sheet in the bag. We're up and running. Average game. Good result.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 08:44:24 PM »
Why was Andre taken off suddenly? Was he injured? If so, I am sure we all wish him a speedy recovery.

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
That was arnold

delbar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »
Had visions before the match of Reece losing his footing in front of the town end and then converting the penalty, relieved that didn't happen today!

youngchubby69

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 09:17:38 PM »
Why was Andre taken off suddenly? Was he injured? If so, I am sure we all wish him a speedy recovery.
Arnold was taken off and replaced by Nicky Walker, no injury just a straight replacement.

youngchubby69

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »
Well a good win and a credible performance, l would like to give Harris and Jackson a special mention.
Both of these lads have never played at this level before and Harris played out of position, they both did tremendously Welland did not look out of place.
Reece Thompson has no desire to play at Guisley, he didn't want to try and play the way we know he can.
I feel sorry for the lad, if anyone saw him walking off after the game, you could see the smile on his face, and he only wants to be at Boston.
He had no choice to stay there, and that's what he said to me.
Be a shame to see him go down hill at Guisley, they don't really want him, but don't have the money to replace him.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 10:28:28 PM »
Short and sweet, a cracking win and points is all that matters one game in. Far too early to judge players or give them a hard time, give this team time to gel and I believe that success isn't going to be far off. Belief mode is installed  8)

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 04:59:33 AM »
Well a good win and a credible performance, l would like to give Harris and Jackson a special mention.
Both of these lads have never played at this level before and Harris played out of position, they both did tremendously Welland did not look out of place.
Reece Thompson has no desire to play at Guisley, he didn't want to try and play the way we know he can.
I feel sorry for the lad, if anyone saw him walking off after the game, you could see the smile on his face, and he only wants to be at Boston.
Be a shame to see him go down hill at Guisley, they don't really want him, but don't have the money to replace him.

Agree that he wants to be playing somewhere else. However the player needs to have a really good look at himself. Yes he's fiesty & fiery & he has over time disgruntled the majority of the Guiseley fanbase with his attitude.

As regards finance Guiseley have pots of it. Look how much was invested in that team last season!! Cox & a certain Mr A Murray had top drawer players on incredible money, including a certain D. Southwell, yet a well financed budget was squandered & mismanaged & the FL dream became a relegation nightmare for them. Don't forget they still are backed by wealthy investors & also have a 6 figure parachute payment + the Dayle transfer fee. They could comfortably afford any non league striker the current manager wanted. However the clubs directors do not want any more cash wasted. Yes Reece did v well for us in this league & that's why they pushed Us to hard for a big fee. That's what killed the deal. One CE made it clear to them he wasn't paying the asking price. That sold Southwell, decided to keep Thompson, & got him to make his club website appeal for fans to get behind the club. It was a pa disater & most Guiseley fans online derided RT even further. Don't be surprised to c him back out on loan b4 Christmas.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
Here's the link to the usual Public Facebook Photo Album with a few snaps from the game.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156601217819282.1073742014.570994281&type=1&l=33e7dc532d

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »
I nearly fell asleep at times in the match, but good result in the end.  I see the standard of the league has not changed, bully tactics and poor referees.

We tried to play football, but we need protection.  When we did try to stick up for ourselves they always got the decision.  Good result and fair gate for a summers day.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
Bit harsh, yes it wasn't the best but certainly not the worst. Both teams work rate was excellent, I struggled to stand in it let alone run for 90 minutes so im giving credit to both teams. The players will gel better im sure, and it could have been 0-0, or 0-1 so it was nice to get the run of the green and nick three points. I cannot see Guiseely being a push over by anyone so a good three points.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 10:06:51 AM »
Guiseley's  twitter quotes during the match: -

Not much action so far but the referee has a word with Reece Thompson after a rash tackle.

The hosts nearly take the lead but it's a good save from Green to preserve his clean sheet.

A good run from Liburd earns The Lions a corner.  It nearly leads to a goal but somehow Boston manage to clear the danger.

A superb tackle from Halls denies Johnson from taking a shot when one on one with Green.

GOAL! @bostonunited 1-0 Guiseley. The hosts take a deserved lead through Johnson's calm finish.
United we stand..................

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »

Agree that he wants to be playing somewhere else. However the player needs to have a really good look at himself. Yes he's fiesty & fiery & he has over time disgruntled the majority of the Guiseley fanbase with his attitude.

As regards finance Guiseley have pots of it. Look how much was invested in that team last season!! Cox & a certain Mr A Murray had top drawer players on incredible money, including a certain D. Southwell, yet a well financed budget was squandered & mismanaged & the FL dream became a relegation nightmare for them. Don't forget they still are backed by wealthy investors & also have a 6 figure parachute payment + the Dayle transfer fee. They could comfortably afford any non league striker the current manager wanted. However the clubs directors do not want any more cash wasted. Yes Reece did v well for us in this league & that's why they pushed Us to hard for a big fee. That's what killed the deal. One CE made it clear to them he wasn't paying the asking price. That sold Southwell, decided to keep Thompson, & got him to make his club website appeal for fans to get behind the club. It was a pa disater & most Guiseley fans online derided RT even further. Don't be surprised to c him back out on loan b4 Christmas.

"6 figure parachute payment "    where did they get that from ?