Author Topic: So what do we think?  (Read 6307 times)

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
So what do we think?
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
After seeing us tonight against a mixture of a Lincoln side I was left feeling that we are still in need of 1 or 2 more players.
Ideally a mobile center half and possibly to a lesser extent a target man forward.

It seems Craig agrees as his only trialist was a mobile center half but not the answer.

Think tonight's starting line up will be almost it but I'd leave Margetts out and go with the lively Johnson instead.

I feel we will score lots but also concede lots in high scoring games.
Overall not much wrong though and with a few tweets we could be a play off contender and a side no one will wanna play.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Re: So what do we think?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 11:38:39 PM »
Agree entirely. Look a bit suspect at the back. Plenty of midfield options and think we may need a taller centre forward. Hope I'm proved wrong but Margetts doesn't look like he'll score many. Doesn't appear to be pacey or good in the air. Not sure what his strengths are.

Think CE will get it right but may take a little while longer.

TEP

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
Agree... Lincoln were far too fast and skilful for us. They tore us apart at times.

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
Agree. Sort our hesitant/suspect back line. And a bigger stronger target man up front, like the much-maligned but actually both very useful Rhead and Denton.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
What do we think ….. Well, the terrace jury have already concluded that several players are shit and need to be shipped out already, season is over before a league ball is kicked in ernest.  ::) lol

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
By terrace jury, do mean the manager?   ::)
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

youngchubby69

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »
What do we think ….. Well, the terrace jury have already concluded that several players are shit and need to be shipped out already, season is over before a league ball is kicked in ernest.  ::) lol
We played Lincoln City and will be challenging for promotion this season, and let's face it we are in NLN which in fairness is nowhere near the standard of L2.
The players we have can compete at the top end of our league.
Marriott,Margents, Arnold, Rollins,Wafula will plunder there fair share of goals in this league.
Margents is still coming back from a long lay off so it will take him a while to get back to where he should be.
I don't see Mcoombe being here long, he just doesn't seem fit or up to it.
As you say the crowd jury will say it's all shit,but it's a long season.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 11:10:42 PM »
By terrace jury, do mean the manager?   ::)
Those who let the red mist descend a minute into a league game when watching our players, ready to shift all 11 out as they are crap, not worthy of the shirt or just not big enough ! lol  :blank:

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »
We played Lincoln City and will be challenging for promotion this season, and let's face it we are in NLN which in fairness is nowhere near the standard of L2.
Marriott,Margents, Arnold, Rollins,Wafula will plunder there fair share of goals in this league.
Margents is still coming back from a long lay off so it will take him a while to get back to where he should be.

To be fair, nobody can say how we are going to do just yet as league games are a totally different level of football to that of the pre season fitness boost and experimental formations etc. Defence wise we do need to improve, but I stand by my view that it is far too early to be slating players.  Manager will know what needs addressing, both on and off the pitch. I have every bit of faith that it could be a very good season indeed and quite possibly we could have a cup run...yeah, I know.....'what's a cup run' …..

youngchubby69

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 04:51:41 AM »

To be fair, nobody can say how we are going to do just yet as league games are a totally different level of football to that of the pre season fitness boost and experimental formations etc. Defence wise we do need to improve, but I stand by my view that it is far too early to be slating players.  Manager will know what needs addressing, both on and off the pitch. I have every bit of faith that it could be a very good season indeed and quite possibly we could have a cup run...yeah, I know.....'what's a cup run' …..
Yes I agree with you, but it looks like CE has lost his patients with some of his players.
Who and where these players go to, still remains to be seen, if any of them do go.
As far as I am aware, Jackson, Qaulter, Mcoombe,Gough, Middleton are all on contract, but perhaps he is not just looking at the defence, what l have seen of Harry Middleton and Thanjo so far this pre-season has not impressed me.
But like you say the proof will be when the league games start, and we were beaten by a very good Lincoln city side.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »
It's Elliott's comments about what he's seen in training that concern me most, far more than performances in a game against a Lincoln City team who are far better than anything we're going to face in the league this season...

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »
Had plenty of time to think back to Tuesday's game and remember it as a 'better than average' friendly match.  Some of our quick interpassing was appreciated and much better than we have been used to.  After Lincoln's success last term I feared we may have been dominated for most of the game but that was certainly not the case.  We created some chances, scored a great set piece finished by Wafula's powerful header and should have scored a couple more.   Our defence did look shaky again and some back passes were less than confident but I'm sure CE will rectify this one way or another.  Altogether, not too disappointed with the result and not concerned whether we win friendlies, just hope we get it right when the season starts.
United we stand..................

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »
I think its going to go like this.

Address the defence issues and we will have a sticky start to the season but the team will gell quick and start to fire on all 4's. And in truth this team as got some serious attacking punch in it that could have us top 5-6.

Dont address the issue of Defence then come the end of the season we are going to be left with what ifs when we all look at the goals for a see we have scored as many as the top 5-6 teams but have shipped as many as the Bottom 3-4 teams. One thing im sure about is that its going to be a few games in before we will start to see this team with it been mainly a new team.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
I think its going to go like this.

Address the defence issues and we will have a sticky start to the season but the team will gell quick and start to fire on all 4's. And in truth this team as got some serious attacking punch in it that could have us top 5-6.

Dont address the issue of Defence then come the end of the season we are going to be left with what ifs when we all look at the goals for a see we have scored as many as the top 5-6 teams but have shipped as many as the Bottom 3-4 teams. One thing im sure about is that its going to be a few games in before we will start to see this team with it been mainly a new team.

I was convinced Murray's team would be loads better once it had gelled as it had much better players in it than Den's disastrous outfit the season before. But it never happened and the results were somehow worse than I ever thought possible. Football's weird.

Good job really - if it was that predictable no-one would bother turning up.