Author Topic: Your memories and stories of York Street  (Read 34330 times)

youngchubby69

Re: Your memories and stories of York Street
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:25 AM »
My first match was against Leyton Orient in the FA cup.

Having watched only football on TV ( in black and white ) to see amber and black all over the ground was a pleasant surprise.

The other thing that stood out in my memory, was the distinct smell of rubs and liniment as the players ran onto the pitch.
I remember putting on white oils before a match in my playing day's.
Some of the old boys told me they used to use Horse oils in the old days.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:40 AM »
In this month's When Saturday Comes there is a piece about HSV Barmbak-Uhlenhorst, a small club in Hamburg who moved grounds about four years ago. As well the bar in the new ground being a sort of museum as well, the article says "there are small souvenirs all over the pace, a little iron railing here,  an enamel sign there"

Could we do something similar at our new place?

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2018, 06:13:02 PM »
In this month's When Saturday Comes there is a piece about HSV Barmbak-Uhlenhorst, a small club in Hamburg who moved grounds about four years ago. As well the bar in the new ground being a sort of museum as well, the article says "there are small souvenirs all over the pace, a little iron railing here,  an enamel sign there"

Could we do something similar at our new place?

I think the chairman certainly wants something like this, BUSA are also working on things along these lines ie; A hall of fame. I also remind all those donating to my Jam Jar fund raiser it is for you to decide how this fund will be used so please begin thinking of ideas that will benefit fans thus benefiting the club.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »
Craig Singleton has been in touch and asked whether I'd be willing to do a piece each week in the match programme this season on York Street history. I've said yes.

I would like get a good selection of all your memories and stories to include. So if you've got some more to add it would be great.

Boston forever

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
Becky Thompson needs to be talking to her dad!

Becky

• Upon This Ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2019, 06:26:07 PM »
I talk to him every day !!

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2019, 05:49:37 AM »
I remember coming to a match when Greg Fee was playing for us, l was sitting in the stand just behind the dug outs with my Grandson on my lap.
Greg went to clear the ball and it came off another player and hit me straight in the face.
I remember the lady sitting next to me, grabbing hold of grandson because she thought l was going to drop him as l was semi conscious and dazed, the chap sitting behind me put his hands on my shoulders to steady me.
Fantastic kindness showed by everyone sitting around me, which l have never forgot.
Greg even made a point of coming over to check if l was ok.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Becky

• Upon This Ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2019, 10:04:41 AM »
Someone was asking for the floodlight photo from Portsmouth in the F.A.Cup, found it in the end a bit late though !!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2019, 12:57:52 PM »
Someone was asking for the floodlight photo from Portsmouth in the F.A.Cup, found it in the end a bit late though !!

Many thanks Becky. It missed my piece on floodlights in the Leamington programme, but it will be great for the write up I'm going to do on the Portsmouth game.

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2019, 01:46:07 PM »
My first year coming to York Street after moving from Kent, I well remember coming from 2-0 down to beat Wigan 4-2 (Someone will probably tell me I've got the score wrong!). Coincidentally the match was mentioned prior to the Leamington game. What a team that season. I also seem to remember standing at the (uncovered?) Gliderdrome end when Dominico Genevese (I know that must be spelled wrong) scored twice in another comeback win, I think in the Trophy against possibly a team from the north east.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2019, 04:11:39 PM »
Yep, we were 2-0 down to Wigan before turning it round, I was there, one of my first games.

The Town End was covered that night you are on about, the 5-4 v Blyth, you might have stood near the front!

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2019, 09:25:09 AM »
I remember a match when we were 3-1 down at HT but went on to win 7-3 ! I think our opponents were a team called Ransome & Marles or is my memory playing tricks in old age. Perhaps Ken can find the answer in the archives?

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2019, 01:07:46 PM »
I remember a match when we were 3-1 down at HT but went on to win 7-3 ! I think our opponents were a team called Ransome & Marles or is my memory playing tricks in old age. Perhaps Ken can find the answer in the archives?

Ransome & Marles from Newark, a ball and roller bearing factory. My grandmother live next to it on Stanley street.
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2019, 08:15:55 PM »

Looks like a game from 1961/2 when both sides were in the Central Alliance. The game at Shodfriars Lane on Sat 25th Nov ended up

Boston United 7-3 Ransome & Marles (2427) Topley, Smith(3), Flack(2), Lister(1)
Boston United: Jimmy McDowell, Maurice White, Frank Lockey, Alan Whitworth, Mick Lord, Tom Brown, Jimmy Longworth, Brian Topley, Colin Smith, Brian Flack, Eric Lister

porl99

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2019, 09:39:15 PM »
Newcastle bringing their first team for a friendly. Losing 1-0 to a goal from Brazilian international Mirandinha.

Very minor point but although Mirandinha played in that game he didn't actually score - the game's only game was scored by the Dane (and lesser-known Newcastle player) Frank Pingel.  I was Newcastle's mascot that day!  Glenn Roeder was Newcastle's captain and I remember the referee given me the £1 coin used during the toss-up at the start of the game which I thought was loads of money at the time! 

Although I am a Boston lad my Dad brought me up as a Newcastle supporter so this was a fabulous day full of memories for me.  I've still got the game on VHS...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:41:26 PM by porl99 »