Author Topic: Your memories and stories of York Street  (Read 34324 times)

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your memories and stories of York Street
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 03:26:37 PM »
I remember in 1991,. I was a factory manager for a local firm.

I had 45 staff under me, and seemed to be working all hours God sent.   Boston were playing in a round of the Non league Trophy on a Wednesday night.  I was desperate to see the match.  I knew we had an important  order to finish so had the machines working flat out.  A breakdown in the afternoon meant overtime for the staff and me not seeing the match.

I was gutted.  I had an ambitious lad working for me who was always badgering for promotion.  I had an idea.  With the order expected to be completed by 8.15 but the match starting at 7.30, I had 45 minutes in which to cover.  I called said lad into the office " This is your big chance " I said  " Run the factory for 45 minutes, get the order out, and sit in the canteen until I come back"  He jumped at the chance.

Now remember, this is the time before Mobile phones.  I settled in to watch the match. Music played the players entered the pitch and all of a sudden my name came over the speakers.  " COULD I RETURN TO WORK IMMEDIATELY "  A big cheer went up in the crowd.

I rushed back to the factory to find it silent.  All the staff were sat in the canteen on time and half pay.  The conveyor belt had tripped a fuse and instead of going across to the engineer and getting him to fix it, he stopped production and called me away from the match.

The order was late, the powers that be, were unhappy with the amount of overtime and the lad fluffed his chance.  And I missed the match >:(

Not a good memory and I take it the lad's not on your Christmas card list?   :'( 
United we stand..................

youngchubby69

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »
Hi all
Got some really good news from David Newton, we have his backing for our/your memories of York Street project, this was something that they were thinking about having in an area in the new stadium.
So keep them coming, l have really enjoyed reading them so far..
Thanks everyone.

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
Anybody remember watching the pre-season games called Possibles v Probables? More to the point, does anyone have a programme for one of those matches? It would be interesting to see some of the players names. I think they were in the early 50's.

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 10:38:10 PM »
I remember them but sorry no programme.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »
I've a single sheet from I think 1957/58 season Possible v Probables. I'll look when I get home.

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
Would love to see it. They were all single sheet profs in those matches.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2018, 09:12:51 AM »
Who can remember Mick Baxter's invalid car catching fire?
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »
I remember the FA Cup game BUFC v Oldham 22/11/1952 we lost  1 - 2 Kurz was our goal scorer and George Hardwick ex England international was in Oldhams team. Farm trailers had been put on the top of the embankment behind the town end goal so that some spectators could stand on them to get a better view as the attendance was 7,914.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »
I remember the FA Cup game BUFC v Oldham 22/11/1952 we lost  1 - 2 Kurz was our goal scorer and George Hardwick ex England international was in Oldhams team. Farm trailers had been put on the top of the embankment behind the town end goal so that some spectators could stand on them to get a better view as the attendance was 7,914.

I'm sure you will remember our pacey winger  Tony Freeman (ex Notts C ) from that match WP .   Mesmerised Midland League defenders up to that game .  with the injuries inflicted on him in the 90 mins against Hardwick he was never the same player again .

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2018, 11:04:45 PM »

I'm sure you will remember our pacey winger  Tony Freeman (ex Notts C ) from that match WP .   Mesmerised Midland League defenders up to that game .  with the injuries inflicted on him in the 90 mins against Hardwick he was never the same player again .

My first Boston United hero was this flying winger who could also score goals.  Remember watching him close up from Spain Road side although I can't remember that game.
[/quote]
United we stand..................

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »
I know it's not York Street but back in the late 70's and early 80's the club gave out a few free entry tickets to our supporters at away games. I remember on one occasionjust missing out but Ernest Malkinson lent me his ground pass saying that will get you into any league ground. It did gain me  free entry but I begrudgingly gave him it back once I had passed through the turnstiles.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2018, 11:00:15 AM »
My mate Les had someone make him up a press pass, he never paid to get in any ground, including Boston.  That was in the 70's. :)

Norfolkngood

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »
I must have loads of old United programmes gathering dust in my loft.
Happy to donate any to this project if necessary.
I too remember the two Derby County games.....I recall a muddy pitch and a divot on the line depriving us of a victory at the Baseball Ground. Some older than me will tell you of the 50's victory there followed by Spurs away !

youngchubby69

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »
I must have loads of old United programmes gathering dust in my loft.
Happy to donate any to this project if necessary.
I too remember the two Derby County games.....I recall a muddy pitch and a divot on the line depriving us of a victory at the Baseball Ground. Some older than me will tell you of the 50's victory there followed by Spurs away !
Many thanks l am sure they will be of some use.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2018, 01:55:53 PM »
I remember when, we the fans raised the money for the new stands at York Street.  My mate worked for Craven and Nicks and they had the contract for some of the steel works.  His job was to measure and cut many lengths of steel.  When it came to welding and fixing, all lengths were several inches short.  His ruler was missing several inches off the end and he had not realised.  Not happy was an understatement :D :D