Author Topic: Your memories and stories of York Street  (Read 34334 times)

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your memories and stories of York Street
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 05:53:41 PM »
My first match would have been in the 1950/51 season and I can remember the thrill of being in the mass of supporters funnelling down Shodfriers Lane.  The crush was such I felt as if I could be carried along without my feet touching the ground, not surprising as the attendance at the first match of the season v Peterborough Utd in the Midland League was 8,362. The turnstiles were at the Town End and fed onto a cinder bank without any covering and the changing rooms were in that corner next to Spain Road.   
United we stand..................

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »
Anybody remember us beating Altrincham to progress to the FA Trophy final at Wembley or was that just my poor memory?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 08:25:12 AM »
Anyone remember Bertie Wilson?  He used to run around the pitch before the match for beer money :)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »
Anybody remember us beating Altrincham to progress to the FA Trophy final at Wembley or was that just my poor memory?
I remember this season well as I was 12 and had just started to attend York Street and it gave me the impression this club would get to Wembley most season's ! (Slightly naïve)
As for the Altrincham game we were packed like sardines into the York Street end (no townenders in those days). As with all big games trouble arrived and Arthur Mann prompted by the police came over to tell whoever was throwing golf balls to pack it in. Obviously the biggest moment was when Bob Lee rose at the far post and thumped the header in the back of the net. The ground erupted : Boston were off to the twin towers of Wembley !

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
Anyone remember Bertie Wilson?  He used to run around the pitch before the match for beer money :)

I remember him well dip ,  not so much for running around YS in oversize wellies but for having the audacity outside The Still one night to ask me to buy him half a pint of beer .

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 05:24:44 PM »
GHM, I am a betting man.  I would say the chance of you buying him half a pint would be priced at 100/1 ;) ;)

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 06:10:23 PM »
I remember him well and the supporters cheering him on as he completed his run around the pitch sometimes more than one lap, half time entertainment for some.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 06:35:18 PM »
GHM, I am a betting man.  I would say the chance of you buying him half a pint would be priced at 100/1 ;) ;)

100/1 ?   you've missed a few nought's off Dip . :)

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 04:56:15 PM »
Where do I start? So many memories of the Street. The first game I saw was in December 1965 (aged 4) Dad took me whilst Mum did the present buying. I know we won but that was/is about all. The Derby cup replay (bunked off school, no way was I missing that). The 85 Wembley route, coming back like we did against Blyth to win 5-4 then that Bob Lee header that took us to Wembley. The Hurst and Scott promotions.

Those are just a few, there are also the memories of players, Adamson, Thompson, Froggatt, Cook, the 84/85 squad and many many more that stick in the memory.

Will miss the ground when we move, so many happy times at various viewing points, oh and also made the cover of the 83 (I think that was the year, will have to search through)  seasons programme, a shot of the town end in it's infancy, a night game with not many of us up there as it was freezing the proverbials off. :D

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 05:44:11 PM »
Not my earliest memory of Shoddy's, but my first day in long trousers, spent sitting among the girders of the new York Street stand taking shape. I think the game was in the FA Cup against Grantham (6-3). My mother would have slaughtered me if the trousers had been torn.

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
I remember going down Shodfriers lane and the queues at the turnstiles where the Gliderdrome is now, Richmonds steel works on the right hand side of the queue and workers cutting steel with oxy aceteline cutters and sparks flying everywhere, the childrens turnstile was on the right and near this work. Does anyone remember how much it cost in the mid to late 1940s to get in? 9 old pennies rings a bell but not sure if that was for children or adults or if my memory is playing tricks.   

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »
I remember St.. Johns ambulance people going around the ground with a grey blanket where supporters could throw in loose change.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »
I remember as a young boy we often had a marching brass band entertain the crowd at half time.   As they marched the leader would twirl his baton, throw it high in the air, catch it neatly and continue twirling.  The powerful music stoked my anticipation for the re-entry of the gladiators into the arena.
United we stand..................

abully

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »
Two memories from 45 years ago.
My two brothers plus sister in law and a few friends used to stand every match on the Spayne road side just to the left of the half way line. We took turns to fetch the pies and teas just before half time to avoid the rush.
On this particular occasion whilst David was walking back from the tea kiosk, makeshift tray in hand,the ball went onto the stand and dropped onto his tray.When he got to us the pies were floating!(they did replace them Foc)
On the other occasion that springs to mind ,one of the players ripped his shorts badly and had to change them.
My brother Colin said "Don't look Jane"
In true Frank Carson style she replied " I think i'll risk one eye"

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »
I remember in 1991,. I was a factory manager for a local firm.

I had 45 staff under me, and seemed to be working all hours God sent.   Boston were playing in a round of the Non league Trophy on a Wednesday night.  I was desperate to see the match.  I knew we had an important  order to finish so had the machines working flat out.  A breakdown in the afternoon meant overtime for the staff and me not seeing the match.

I was gutted.  I had an ambitious lad working for me who was always badgering for promotion.  I had an idea.  With the order expected to be completed by 8.15 but the match starting at 7.30, I had 45 minutes in which to cover.  I called said lad into the office " This is your big chance " I said  " Run the factory for 45 minutes, get the order out, and sit in the canteen until I come back"  He jumped at the chance.

Now remember, this is the time before Mobile phones.  I settled in to watch the match. Music played the players entered the pitch and all of a sudden my name came over the speakers.  " COULD I RETURN TO WORK IMMEDIATELY "  A big cheer went up in the crowd.

I rushed back to the factory to find it silent.  All the staff were sat in the canteen on time and half pay.  The conveyor belt had tripped a fuse and instead of going across to the engineer and getting him to fix it, he stopped production and called me away from the match.

The order was late, the powers that be, were unhappy with the amount of overtime and the lad fluffed his chance.  And I missed the match >:(