Author Topic: Your memories and stories of York Street  (Read 34329 times)

youngchubby69

Your memories and stories of York Street
« on: July 21, 2018, 05:51:50 PM »
Hi all
As the work has now started on the new Stadium, I thought it would be a good idea with your help to compile some memories and stories of York Street.
The aim is to ask the board of they could make up some kind of book or presentation to be on view in the new Stadium.
You don't have to put your name to them as they are your personal memories and stories.
Thanks for help.
Ken could you please put this up as pinned post.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your memories and stories of York Street
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »
I will start it off, if that is okay. I have so many memories and I will add a few more later on.

I remember the ground being so packed for the FA cup replay, against the league champions Derby County, that the police ushered about 500 fans onto the pitch.

We all met in the Axe and cleaver and The Kings Head before the match and walked in a large group to the ground.

We chanted and sang and at the time it was very impressive.

When we got to the ground, we were told derby fans had taken over the York St end ( our end )

We entered via the York Street turn styles and it was soon evident that a quart could not fit into a pint glass.

There was so many of us that we spilled onto the pitch.  The tunnel where the players came out was in the centre of the York street end at that time.  The tunnel had two wooden walls splitting the York St end into two halves .

These were bowing due to the sheer weight of the crowd.  If they collapsed many fans would have been injured  or worse. A police officer got me by the scruff of the neck and tried to throw me back into the crowd.  After a tussle and me shouting at him to see the tunnel did he see the seriousness of the situation.  I can still see him and two other burly coppers putting their shoulders to the wooden wall trying to stop it collapsing under the weight of so many fans.

My mate and I finished up watching the game from the directors box.  We climbed up there, to be honest we were made welcome.

I dread to think what would have happened.  The Boston lads chased the Derby fans out of the York st end and that made a bit of room.

I hate to think if it was not for me tussling with that PC,  Boston V derby would be remembered for a different reason.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:32:56 AM by Dipdodah »
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Devon Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:06:11 AM »
My early memories of York street go back to the Mid 50's. I remember watching the first floodlight match against Corby Town in 1955, when there were OVER 9,000 ! of us in the ground. Slightly more vague, is seeing about that time a friendly against a touring African team (I think from Ghana) when some, if not all of the Africans played in bare feet!(perhaps another Veteran can confirm that !?)

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
I remember both games, the second one I think was against a Uganda FA 11 in 1956 and one or two did indeed play in bare feet and that was in the days of the heavy leather ball. Does anyone remember going by train to the FA cup match against Darlington 1957 when we got put in a siding and didn't get to the ground until half time?

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 04:09:18 PM »
I remember both games, the second one I think was against a Uganda FA 11 in 1956 and one or two did indeed play in bare feet and that was in the days of the heavy leather ball. Does anyone remember going by train to the FA cup match against Darlington 1957 when we got put in a siding and didn't get to the ground until half time?

Was that the old Feethams stadium ? Think my uncle may have played for the Quakers he did one say he'd played against us a couple of times

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
My early memories of York street go back to the Mid 50's. I remember watching the first floodlight match against Corby Town in 1955, when there were OVER 9,000 ! of us in the ground. Slightly more vague, is seeing about that time a friendly against a touring African team (I think from Ghana) when some, if not all of the Africans played in bare feet!(perhaps another Veteran can confirm that !?)

It makes perfect sense to play in bare feet, would be the managers instructions so none of their players could blame their Addidas Santiago for a poor performance also reduced the risk of disciplinary repercussions for studs showing tackles

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »

Was that the old Feethams stadium ? Think my uncle may have played for the Quakers he did one say he'd played against us a couple of times
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               I am not sure what the ground was called but British Rail got called a few names and as for the ticket collector he had no chance and just got out of the way.     

youngchubby69

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 11:40:13 PM »
Great stories, keep them coming.

ElIdolo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
My memories come from more of a recent timeline, and in terms of attendance less impressive. Whilst vague and patchy, I remember my first game being vs. Colywn Bay at home in the Dr. Martens league winning season - a 2-2 draw I think, with Chris Cook getting a yellow card... Other memories include seeing Gazza come on during the 2-2 Boxing Day draw vs. Lincoln and pull us back into the game and get the point, and watching us host Fulham in the League Cup with one of the bigger crowds I remember seeing there - especially on a Tuesday night. Also, holding celebrations one week night after winning the Conference title, and seeing all the players walk around and mingle with the fans (Unless this was Dr. Martens title win, but I'm sure it was the former)
Random memories also spring to mind - Bazza almost scoring from his own goal if not for the ball getting stuck in the mud on the opposing line. Daryl Clare dropping his shorts as a goal celebration. Plus in very recent memory, losing the play-off semi final on penalties following THAT overhead kick from Chorley to level the game on 90+ mins, and also Zak Mills scoring a ridiculous angled volley.

But all in all, the stadium has been a staple of my 20ish years supporting Boston. Walking up every weekend with my brother, dad and uncle, same seats each week, same half-time drink and food, the little things that give you great memories when looking back through the years. Having lost my dad some years ago, York Street also has an added value to me in that it is a prominent fixture in many memories that I have of good times with him.

Whilst kits, players, staff, attendances and atmospheres have changed over time, that special feeling of watching a game at York Street has never changed. (even if at times it hasn't been as prominent or felt as special)
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious" - Michael Scott

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »
All memories are worth recording, from long ago or recent times, keep them coming.   

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »
Other memories include seeing Gazza come on during the 2-2 Boxing Day draw vs. Lincoln and pull us back into the game and get the point[/size]

That was at Sincil Bank. Courtney Pitt scored a penalty then Gazza floated a free kick onto Jason Lee's head.

Results at home to the Imps were 2-0, 0-1, 0-2, 2-1 and 1-0.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
Just a few random suggestions:

Bob Lee's header in the last minute of the FA Trophy semi final.

Beating Grantham in front of a packed crowd over Easter on the way to winning the Dr Martens League.

That memorable League Cup tie against Luton Town where we won an end to end game in extra time.

Fulham's visit in the League Cup.

Newcastle bringing their first team for a friendly. Losing 1-0 to a goal from Brazilian international Mirandinha.

Beating Buxton 9-3, with eight different goalscorers. Being 9-1 up with half an hour still left and yet not scoring any more.

Scoring ten in an FA Cup tie versus Sudbury.

Recording our first ever home football league win against Lincoln.

Coming from behind to take the lead against Bournemouth in our first Football League game.

All the hype and media coverage around York Street when Gazza joined.

A game where we beat all conquering Barnet 5-0, with Stewart Hamill scoring a hat-trick.

Lots of memorable players, depending on your era.

Andy Kirk earning an international call up whilst a Boston player.

Chris Withe and his chicken impersonations after scoring.

Some great goals. Its a close call between John McGinley
 and Peter Bore for the best one I can remember.

Zak Mills with another memorable goal in a play off fixture.

Last minute overhead kick goals conceded in play offs.

Penalty shoot out defeats in play offs.

Lee Trundle diving to win a penalty against me. Blatant cheating on a Maradona scale.

Being reduced to nine men (harshly) in a cup tie against Altrincham.

Horrible defeats. Like losing 5-0 at home to Nantwich, 6-0 at home to Runcorn and 7-2 at home to Oxford City.

That Sunday lunchtime when we nearly didn't have a club, and when John Blackwell and Barrie Pierpoint addressed the crowd.

The moments which came afterwards when the club was saved. And that first match afterwards where we beat Workington

Some of the good players we've come up against. Stan Collymore, Andy Clarke, Mark Gall, Noel Ashford. At different times Barnet, Maidstone, Enfield, Altrincham and a few others have had really good  sides.

Regular FA Cup exits at the hands over lower ranked opposition.

Convincing win over Morecambe in another FA Cup tie.

Comedy moments, like ducks landing on the pitch and a hare running across it.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »
Just a few random suggestions:

Bob Lee's header in the last minute of the FA Trophy semi final.

Beating Grantham in front of a packed crowd over Easter on the way to winning the Dr Martens League.

That memorable League Cup tie against Luton Town where we won an end to end game in extra time.

Fulham's visit in the League Cup.

Newcastle bringing their first team for a friendly. Losing 1-0 to a goal from Brazilian international Mirandinha.

Beating Buxton 9-3, with eight different goalscorers. Being 9-1 up with half an hour still left and yet not scoring any more.

Scoring ten in an FA Cup tie versus Sudbury.

Recording our first ever home football league win against Lincoln.

Coming from behind to take the lead against Bournemouth in our first Football League game.

All the hype and media coverage around York Street when Gazza joined.

A game where we beat all conquering Barnet 5-0, with Stewart Hamill scoring a hat-trick.

Lots of memorable players, depending on your era.

Andy Kirk earning an international call up whilst a Boston player.

Chris Withe and his chicken impersonations after scoring.

Some great goals. Its a close call between John McGinley
 and Peter Bore for the best one I can remember.

Zak Mills with another memorable goal in a play off fixture.

Last minute overhead kick goals conceded in play offs.

Penalty shoot out defeats in play offs.

Lee Trundle diving to win a penalty against me. Blatant cheating on a Maradona scale.

Being reduced to nine men (harshly) in a cup tie against Altrincham.

Horrible defeats. Like losing 5-0 at home to Nantwich, 6-0 at home to Runcorn and 7-2 at home to Oxford City.

That Sunday lunchtime when we nearly didn't have a club, and when John Blackwell and Barrie Pierpoint addressed the crowd.

The moments which came afterwards when the club was saved. And that first match afterwards where we beat Workington

Some of the good players we've come up against. Stan Collymore, Andy Clarke, Mark Gall, Noel Ashford. At different times Barnet, Maidstone, Enfield, Altrincham and a few others have had really good  sides.

Regular FA Cup exits at the hands over lower ranked opposition.

Convincing win over Morecambe in another FA Cup tie.

Comedy moments, like ducks landing on the pitch and a hare running across it.

Wow I think you covered it all

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
Tony Freeman Forward (50-52) A tricky goalscoring winger. Formerly on Notts County's books. Born 29/8/1928 in Melton Mowbray. Died February 2004.

My first Boston United hero was this flying winger who could also score goals.  Remember watching him close up from Spain Road side.
United we stand..................

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »
My first match was against Leyton Orient in the FA cup.

Having watched only football on TV ( in black and white ) to see amber and black all over the ground was a pleasant surprise.

The other thing that stood out in my memory, was the distinct smell of rubs and liniment as the players ran onto the pitch.