Author Topic: Your memories and stories of York Street  (Read 35023 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your memories and stories of York Street
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
I lived opposite the ground in Spayne road.  I remember that game very well.  One of the Newcastle fans decided to break into my shed, he did not see my black lab in the garden.  When I got outside, all I could see was this Geordie trying to get over the fence with my lab firmly biting the seat of his tracky bottoms.  :) :)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2019, 12:55:38 PM »
I wrote this one up as one of my "Classic Games" for the match programmes a few years back. Here's the piece:

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/C180289.html

Thanks for all the stories - keep them coming.

Newcastle bringing their first team for a friendly. Losing 1-0 to a goal from Brazilian international Mirandinha.

Very minor point but although Mirandinha played in that game he didn't actually score - the game's only game was scored by the Dane (and lesser-known Newcastle player) Frank Pingel.  I was Newcastle's mascot that day!  Glenn Roeder was Newcastle's captain and I remember the referee given me the £1 coin used during the toss-up at the start of the game which I thought was loads of money at the time! 

Although I am a Boston lad my Dad brought me up as a Newcastle supporter so this was a fabulous day full of memories for me.  I've still got the game on VHS...

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »
I've started putting my match programme pieces on the web site. Keep the memories of York Street coming.

Here are the first few:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:55:51 AM by Ken Fox »

TAWMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2020, 05:12:37 PM »
Ken

Re your piece in the Kidderminster programme about non-Boston United related events at the ground.

There was a huge pageant at the ground in 1951, as part of the Festival of Britain. The theme was the history of Boston from AD 654 to 1951. The crowd was estimated to be 9,000. Lincolnshire Film Archive has a film of the occasion.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
Ken

Re your piece in the Kidderminster programme about non-Boston United related events at the ground.

There was a huge pageant at the ground in 1951, as part of the Festival of Britain. The theme was the history of Boston from AD 654 to 1951. The crowd was estimated to be 9,000. Lincolnshire Film Archive has a film of the occasion.

Brilliant. Many thanks for that. I'll have a dig in the newspaper archive to see if I can get the details.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »
I've got the programme from it, I'll put it up on the Photo Archive later.......PM me on Facebook to remind me Ken.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2020, 07:16:10 PM »
I've bunged a few more of the match programme articles on the History of York Street on the web site:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:20:01 PM by Ken Fox »

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2020, 06:22:10 PM »
Ken

A bit of Googling has uncovered the details of this on a website about Historical Pageants: http://www.historicalpageants.ac.uk/pageants/999/

noughtyforties has dug out the programme for me and posted on the Boston United Photo Archive on Facebook.

So I reckon I've got enough to write a little piece on it in the match programme now. Thanks for pointing me at it.

TAWMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »
Ken

Another suggestion for inclusion in a programme - full internationals who've played for Boston? I count 15: Don Donovan, Jack Doran, Paul Gascoigne, Phil Gray, Asa Hartford, Kevin Hector, Eric Houghton, Derek Kevan, Andy Kirk, Pat McConnell, Andy Marriott, Ray O'Brien, Ludovic Quistin, Mel Sterland and Fred Tunstall. Some great players amongst that lot!

Not to mention other internationals who've played at York Street - what a privilege it was to see the great Archie Gemmell give a masterclass in 1974.

Doug

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2020, 09:01:21 PM »
Spencer Weir-Daley is still a current Montserrat international. Jermaine Easter went on to play for Wales, Sebastian Małkowski played once for Poland, Jason St Juste for St Kitts, Courtney Wildin for Antigua... must be a few more too.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

TAWMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »
I mentioned Gemmill but there were loads of stars from the forties onwards who played for opponents, especially in friendlies, charity matches and testimonials. In the sixties I remember seeing Stan Matthews playing for a Port Vale XI, Derek Temple with Wigan and Kevin Keegan playing on the wing for Scunthorpe in a Lincs Senior Cup game. And Barry Fry for Barnet!

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
Zeph Thomas and Ryan Robbins (St Kitts and Nevis)
Pa Sulay Njie (Gambia)

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2020, 01:30:51 PM »
Wasn't Henrich Ravas a Polish under 21 international. Does that count?

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2020, 06:41:06 PM »
I don't like to slag players off but I don't suppose he will be reading this. Pa Sulay Njie is the worst player I have ever seen play for Boston.

However I am not suggesting the worst Pilgrim ever as an idea for a programme article Ken!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2020, 09:49:48 PM »
Wasn't Henrich Ravas a Polish under 21 international. Does that count?

Doubt it, he's Slovakian!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/