Author Topic: New signings  (Read 28438 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: New signings
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 09:57:09 AM »
I have a Lincoln City fan as a friend ( I do not make an habit of it ) :police:.  He is backing us to win the league, he said our signings are Conference National level.  Still 20/1 in places.

Pleased to see you have another friend Dip ,  I hope his betting skills are of a higher standard than yours otherwise we are doomed . :)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
I have a Lincoln City fan as a friend ( I do not make an habit of it ) :police:.  He is backing us to win the league, he said our signings are Conference National level.  Still 20/1 in places.

The problem we still have is that while our first XI is quality, we won't have the squad depth some of the richer clubs enjoy. If we can avoid injuries and suspensions though... well..... you never know.

You could be right Pete.  But I am a glass half full chap.  So much so I have bought a season ticket, for the first time in years.  I hope I am not trying to sell it on Ebay after half a dozen matches ;)

We'll see! I think the spine of the team is certainly National League quality but obviously there are so many variables at play.... either way, I'm extremely excited for the season to start. Mind you, I thought the same last year too - this is the random nature of football, and why we keep coming back year after year.

Roll on August 4!

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »
I see this Alfreton Town supporter isn't too impressed by our signing of Andre Johnson. He put these two posts on the 'onefootballforum,':-

POST 1 WHEN HEARING HE WAS ON TRIAL WITH US
"I see Andre Johnson is on trial at Boston. He was dire for us. Scored on the opening day and other than a finish literally off his backside in a county cup game he did nothing."

POST 2 WHEN HEARING HE HAD SIGNED FOR US
"Boston have signed Andre Johnson and Grant Roberts. Don't know about Roberts but Johnson is shit. May have to reevaluate my stab in the dark at Boston as champs."

I only saw Johnson last Saturday in the first half v Chesterfield and its probably much too soon to form a solid opinion of the guy. Craig no doubt, though, has seen something in him that he feels will be useful to us and he'll probably start the season behind Marriott and Margetts in the pecking order anyway. Wouldn't it be nice though that, should he play in either game against Alfreton, he scores a hat-trick??

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 10:56:10 PM »
I got 25/1 two weeks ago so had a fiver each way, first time I have backed us for many a year. The squad that is coming together now should be up there challenging for the top six spots and potentially we could surprise many with a serious promotion push.

youngchubby69

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 07:44:59 AM »
I see this Alfreton Town supporter isn't too impressed by our signing of Andre Johnson. He put these two posts on the 'onefootballforum,':-

"I see Andre Johnson is on trial at Boston. He was dire for us. Scored on the opening day and other than a finish literally off his backside in a county cup game he did nothing."

"Boston have signed Andre Johnson and Grant Roberts. Don't know about Roberts but Johnson is shit. May have to reevaluate my stab in the dark at Boston as champs."

I only saw Johnson last Saturday in the first half v Chesterfield and its probably much too soon to form a solid opinion of the guy. Craig no doubt, though, has seen something in him that he feels will be useful to us and he'll probably start the season behind Marriott and Margetts in the pecking order anyway. Wouldn't it be nice though that, should he play in either game against Alfreton, he scores a hat-trick??
I think you also have to consider that he was in a very poor team at Alferton last season.
But time will tell if it has been the right decision.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 07:58:31 AM »

I think you also have to consider that he was in a very poor team at Alferton last season.
But time will tell if it has been the right decision.

Yeah, and we don't know if he liked the Alfreton manager, or whether he was being played in his preferred role/position, or if the way Alfreton were set up was really suited to his skills... time will tell how well he fits into this Boston team, but Elliott's no mug.

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »
Pete. Big money is being paid out - make no mistake

I reckon the budget will be top half. 600 a week is a lot of money for this level which other posters suggest the strikers are on. Add Arnold to this as he's bound to be on top money too

There will also be a few on 2 or 3 hundred but I think the wage bill will be above average

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 09:29:10 AM »
Pete. Big money is being paid out - make no mistake

I reckon the budget will be top half. 600 a week is a lot of money for this level which other posters suggest the strikers are on. Add Arnold to this as he's bound to be on top money too

There will also be a few on 2 or 3 hundred but I think the wage bill will be above average

It may be above average but the top teams in the division will be spending waaaaay more than us, so clearly we'll be competing for promotion as underdogs. That said, it's not impossible to bridge that gap - you just need a brilliant manager (got one of those), decent scouting (sorted)... and a bit of luck along the way (up to the fickle whims of the gods).

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »

had a small wager today at a tenner e/w at 16/1 to finish in the top three. first time in many years i have felt reasonbly confident enough to put some money on us . hope i havent jinxed us. ::)

youngchubby69

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2018, 09:36:44 PM »
So does anyone know what's going on with John Mcoombe, wasn't in the squad for the Halifax game and also wasn't in the team photo or even mentioned as an absentee.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Gone

youngchubby69

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 06:33:22 AM »

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 08:01:03 AM »
Gone

Has this been announced in the media or is it just speculation?

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »
Gone

Has this been announced in the media or is it just speculation?

No.

Ok, thanks, how did you get to know?