Author Topic: Clifton and brogan  (Read 5343 times)

picky

• View Profile
Clifton and brogan
« on: May 29, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
Am I right in thinking these two are the only two players from last season who have yet to say wether staying or going? But  did notice clifton with same agency as keane and hemmings so guessing he'll be going.

youngchubby69

Re: Clifton and brogan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »
Yes this is true but l would not loose any sleep over them both, they need to sign or just sling their hook if they wanted to be at the club they would have signed already.
Yes it's about the money blady blady boss, we heard it all before about how they should go for the best money etc etc, but if you want money more than success why the hell would you want them.
Sling your hooks both of you, Craig gave them both a chance to make something of themselves and stuck by Clifton when he was injured, if that's what this club gets for looking after players then let the selfish gits go.
Same goes for Hemmings the fans voted for him and supported him all season, but another one who wants to hold Gary Nevilles hand and be a bit player.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 09:31:50 PM »
Same goes for Hemmings the fans voted for him and supported him all season, but another one who wants to hold Gary Nevilles hand and be a bit player.
What's the issue with Ashley Hemmings? He's played well for us, and in impressing us all, he's been noticed by a club that's playing a league higher next season and is full time. Before us, he's been playing at a higher level and full time. We can't offer that, so why should he stay? He's just got himself a decent payrise. He's been here 1 season, and he's hardly jumping ship. I say good luck to him, he's 1 of only a few players IMO that earned their wages last season. He's clearly a better player than our level. It may be a disappointment to see him move on, but does he really owe us any loyalty?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:42:56 PM by The Third Twin »
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:31 PM »
What's the issue with Ashley Hemmings? He's played well for us, and in impressing us all, he's been noticed by a club that's playing a league higher next season and is full time. Before us, he's been playing at a higher level and full time. We can't offer that, so why should he stay? He's just got himself a decent payrise. He's been here 1 season, and he's hardly jumping ship. I say good luck to him, he's 1 of only a few players IMO that earned their wages last season. He's clearly a better player than our level. It may be a disappointment to see him move on, but does he really owe us any loyalty?

I can’t disagree with your rational response. For me it’s just a sad reflection of the way football has gone though. Part of the joy of watching football, and particularly non league football, was the feeling that the 11 guys on the field would run through brick walls for the club. In return the fans get behind them and support them through thick and thin.

It’s hard these days to get passionate about a team packed with guys taking the money and going through the motions or playing for their next contract. I can’t blame the players for taking the money and doing the right things for their families, after all these are difficult times. But I can feel sad about the way money has taken over the game at almost every level and made loyalty an outdated concept.

youngchubby69

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:35 AM »
It's very sad, but this club must not go beyond its means at any cost, I don't think there is anything such as a club man anymore.
Most of the players are just in it for themselves and that's the truth.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
It's very sad, but this club must not go beyond its means at any cost, I don't think there is anything such as a club man anymore.
Most of the players are just in it for themselves and that's the truth.

The issue is that there are now lots of clubs at our level who can and do pay silly money to players - so quite understandably, anyone playing for a club of modest means such as ours is angling for a contract with one of the richer teams. There's no shame in it, nor should we feel any animosity towards the players for seeking out the best deals for themselves because they're only doing what any of us would do in the same circumstances. It's not 'greed' - it's simply money towards mortgages, bills, holidays for their kids.

All we need to do is concentrate on ourselves and try and bloody the noses of the rich clubs through clever scouting and decent management. Part of that means getting more of our 'core' players on two year deals to retain some degree of continuity from one season to the next, but the problem is that at this level you really don't know who's going to be good and who isn't. You have players dropping down the leagues who end up being absolute trash, and lads from relegation fodder at our level who turn out to be magnificent. But we need to get a bit smarter at identifying the core players sooner and getting them on two year deals - hopefully the return of Richard Boryszczuk will go some way towards addressing that.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 11:28:24 AM »
I feel its quite sad that when players who were highly respected and thought of in a Boston shirt suddenly become public enemy No1 and slated as soon as they decide to move on, be it through money or up the footballing ladder. It happens every year, and not just with our club but with all clubs.  Personally I think we should just thank these players for their time here and wish them well ( apart from if and when they face us for their new club/clubs). Am sure most of us if in their situation would certainly consider moving for a higher wage.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:23:58 PM »
I feel its quite sad that when players who were highly respected and thought of in a Boston shirt suddenly become public enemy No1 and slated as soon as they decide to move on, be it through money or up the footballing ladder. It happens every year, and not just with our club but with all clubs.  Personally I think we should just thank these players for their time here and wish them well ( apart from if and when they face us for their new club/clubs). Am sure most of us if in their situation would certainly consider moving for a higher wage.

Quite. I know we'd all love the players to love Boston unconditionally but in truth the majority have as much loyalty to their clubs as we do to branches of Wilko. A few may have loyalty to their manager if they enjoy playing for them (Denton/Heath for example), but again, that's not loyalty to the *club*.

I think this is perhaps where, for all his faults, Dennis Greene was quite underappreciated. He did have a knack of creating teams that played for one another and made the odd player stick around for an extra season where perhaps they good options to move elsewhere, but even that can't be sustained indefinitely.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 07:36:40 AM »
Not sure we should criticise existing players for not signing straight away - it might not just be about the money but could be simply down to logistics. Neither Clifton nor Brogan live in Boston, and they'll have had limited contact with the club since the season ended. They'd probably need to meet someone somewhere to sign some paperwork; that would be a purpose journey to either Boston or some central point. It'd be them driving themselves, as opposed to travelling as part of a car pool to training. They've probably been away on holiday, as will have the manager, chief scout, Craig, etc., etc. There may not have been a time which was convenient to all parties. They've probably got lists of DIY jobs to do around the house that they can't do during the football season. Their grass is probably growing faster on their lawns this time of year. Their partners are probably nagging them to go out for the day because they don't normally get the opportunity between July and May. Until we're told these players are joining other clubs, cut them some slack!