Author Topic: Chinn walks away from King's Lynn  (Read 5285 times)

wismo

• View Profile
Chinn walks away from King's Lynn
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
Ex-King's Lynn striker's parting shot
PADDY DAVITT

Last updated: 07/12/2009 13:26:00

King's Lynn's former top scorer Anthony Robinson fired a parting shot at the board of the debt-ridden Unibond Premier Division club following majority shareholder Michael Chinn's exit.

Chinn yesterday carried out his threat to walk away as revealed first in last week's EDP after a club delegation failed to rescind the Linnets' High Court winding up order.

Lynn will now officially fold on Wednesday barring an unlikely 11th hour rescue package to settle a £77,000 tax bill along with viable assurances to clear the remaining six figure debts.

Chinn's decision came in the wake of a mass player exodus following crisis talks between the Boston-based businessman and manager Carl Heggs.

“The bottom line is I have taken the money back and the club will be wound up,” he said. “People were saying they were going to do this and that, but it's never happened. I've walked away and washed my hands of it. If someone else wants it they can speak to me by Wednesday and I will hand over the information they need.”

Fans' favourite Robinson has little sympathy for the power brokers after the bulk of Heggs' squad walked away due to unpaid wages and broken promises.

“Now the season is not even worth saving,” said Robinson. “To let that club sink is embarrassing. Why that board just didn't let it go, walk away and let someone else come in is beyond me. It's comical but it's sad. I signed a deal and was promised money that I'm still waiting for. They gave Kwesi (Appiah) a £100 bonus cheque which bounced and he wasn't the only one.

“We didn't know whether we were coming or going. We we're told the tax bill was going to be paid, then there had been a delay, then the gaffer said he had been told it was sorted and then it wasn't.

“What has killed me is I was not supposed to be paid for the games I was suspended, which is fair enough, but I haven't had anything from the Durham game when I scored a hat trick. Now because we've had these two postponed games I can't play until Boxing Day or maybe the week before.”

Robinson is in talks with Conference North strugglers Harrogate after plundering 13 goals in 13 games during a Lynn career blighted by disciplinary problems.

“I've spoken to them and they've got a few strikers on the books so I'm not going just to make up the numbers,” he said. “They are bottom of Conference North and its Leeds way so I've worked out the travel will be about three hours each way but that doesn't bother me. I just want to go and enjoy my football l now. I know even if they get hammered every other week that I have to be scoring goals. I've got to make sure Anthony Robinson scores goals for whichever team and I'll get my rewards.”

Robinson admits he was loving life in Norfolk before it turned sour.

“I've had my ups and downs there, but that was only with referees,” he said. “I never had any problem with anyone from King's Lynn. Me and Stors (Owen Story) used to drive to the games and even though it was a two and half hour trip we didn't mind because it felt like our home. I loved seeing the same old faces. The ball boys, Martin Davis, the old guy looking for autographs after the game, the burger van people. Those lads in the club shop had the worst banter in the world when it came to me but they were great guys. They gave me two shirts with my name on the back. I'll give one to my son now but the other I'll frame and put it in my trophy cabinet.”

Robinson insists former mentor Heggs deserves to find another non league job should the Unibond Premier Division club fold.

“It upsets me speaking to him and looking in his eyes because you can tell how much it means,” said Robinson. “He worked his hardest and at the beginning of the season when, let's be honest, a lot of people didn't want him there. I was on the forums and I could read what they were saying but those people didn't understand it takes time to set something up.

“The gaffer will get something, I'm sure, and if that happens 99% of us will leave where we are because I doubt we'll sign contracts at new clubs. With the way football is and the recession I can't see too many opportunities over Christmas or New Year so it wouldn't surprise me if he has to wait until the summer to get another job. But he will.”

Heggs revealed in the EDP last week he would consider staying at The Walks to help re-construct a new club - but Robinson warns whoever takes charge faces a massive task.

“In my neck of the woods two divisions below is like the Midland Alliance,” he said. “I played for a team called Stratford in that and when I joined at the end of October one season the top goal scorer had 16. I still beat him by about nine goals and I think I finished on 37. The team we had at Lynn would hammer sides every week at that level. Even the likes of Durham would probably win it.

“I'm not trying to be disrespectful to those players at that level but it's not the best standard. King's Lynn would have the biggest crowds but you aren't going to get 800 turning up to those games. I don't know what sort of players you could attract either because how much money would be in place to pay wages.” Tools & services

Send to a friend
Print this page
Buy a photo
King's Lynn FC
Ex-King's Lynn striker's parting shot
Heggs vows to stand by his doomed Linnets

aggy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chinn walks away from King's Lynn
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:29:27 PM »
No 2 for Chinny, woe betide anyone who wants him on board. Probably too toxic, even for Crawley!

linnet1976

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:41:09 PM »
The only good news from the current situation is Chinn leaving. Been bad news since the start.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »
The good news linnet 1976 is the whole rat pack are leaving giving you a chance to rebuild club. Dropping down a couple of leagues is a price worth paying.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »
From this morning's Eastern Daily Press site:

The FA last night appeared to dash King's Lynn's lingering survival hopes.

Chairman Ken Bobbins revealed the footballing authorities had blocked an 11th-hour rescue bid for the Unibond Premier Division club after Lynn's board held positive weekend talks with a potential investor.

The EDP understands any takeover deal would hinge on FA approval for the new ownership of Norfolk's flagship non league football club. Lynn will officially be wound up in the High Court tomorrow unless they settle a £77,000 tax bill and provide assurances they can clear the remaining six-figure debts.

“The FA has come back to me now to say they will not sanction an individual running the football club,” said Bobbins. “Under their rules football clubs must be owned by member clubs or limited companies, but not apparently by an individual. They are in the process of putting their reasons to us in writing so I guess we will get more official confirmation in the next day or two. Our solicitor is looking into it to see if there is any room for manoeuvre.

“The person who is interested was pretty adamant that he was not prepared to set up a limited company but I have yet to go back to him and discuss this latest development.

“I don't know his reasons for that but unfortunately I think it will prove to be a major stumbling block. If that is the case it will be a great shame. I spent two hours with him on Sunday and he could really lift the club up.”

The FA were last night unavailable for comment but Bobbins admitted Lynn's hierarchy have no other options left on the table.

“We'd been working on this for a few days but until the FA came back to us we couldn't move forward with the process,” said Bobbins. “It's someone we have been in touch with for the past fortnight and even if we got a ruling from the FA in our favour it would still only be 50-50. If we can't do what this individual wants then the reality is it looks increasingly likely the club will be wound up.

“Nothing else has materialised. There are a lot of people coming forward saying they will do this or that but no one has put money on the table and said here you go.”

Bobbins revealed the current board planned to step aside if the planned takeover was sanctioned by the authorities.

“I would be prepared to stay on just to help the changeover in the initial phase,” said Bobbins. “Like I have stated at every stage, though, if someone comes along we are perfectly prepared to step aside and give up our shares and loans and let them take the club on - which also applies to Michael Chinn. No one to this point had come forward with a viable business plan. I see Anthony Robinson saying why we just didn't walk away but that just shows the naivety of people. The reality is no one has wanted to take it on. That includes David Handley. I tried to contact him, Tim Coates tried to contact him and he won't answer our calls.”

Bobbins confirmed he had also laid the groundwork for player/boss Carl Heggs to remain at the helm if the club survive.

“I spoke to Carl on Saturday and again on Sunday,” said Bobbins. “He assures me he is prepared to stay at the club. The contracted players are now free to apply to be released from their contracts but they are still technically our players. Carl is also confident the majority of players who have left or are in talks with other clubs would come back if the club can be saved.

“There is no problem between us. The deal was I would contact him when there was something worth contacting him about - which I have tried to do. The situation in the last few days is we had this hiatus after the High Court hearing was moved to this coming week - which was no fault of the club, contrary to what some people are saying.”

LeeChase

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
Sad news for Kings Lynn, bad news for revenue at  Boston over XMas. Anyone think of a decent sized club that needs a friendly? I'd be happy to go watch Boston v Arsenal reserves.

Probably does nothing for our league position either, anyone have an updated table without KL?
Touched by his noodly appendage.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »
Probably does nothing for our league position either, anyone have an updated table without KL?

I think it looks like this:

HOME             AWAY
                               P  W  D  L  F   A   W  D  L  F   A   GD PD PTS
  1 Retford United            21  2  5  3  12  14  9  1  1  23  10  11  0  39
 ============================================================================
  2 Bradford Park Avenue      18  6  1  4  27  17  5  2  0  15   8  17  0  36
  3 Boston United             20  4  5  1  16   9  6  1  3  20  10  17  0  36
  4 Ashton United             22  4  2  5  15  15  6  0  5  14  23  -9  0  32
  5 Hucknall Town             19  6  2  3  30  19  3  1  4  10  14   7  0  30
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  6 Kendal Town               15  4  3  0  15   7  4  2  2  20  12  16  0  29
  7 North Ferriby United      15  6  0  2  19   6  3  1  3   9  11  11  0  28
  8 Stocksbridge Park St.     21  5  1  4  29  20  3  2  6  17  20   6  0  27
  9 Guiseley                  14  2  2  2   6   6  6  0  2  17   9   8  0  26
 10 Marine                    19  4  1  3  18  12  4  0  7  13  20  -1  0  25
 11 Burscough                 19  4  1  5  20  13  2  4  3  12  13   6  0  23
 12 Buxton                    16  2  3  2   8   7  4  2  3  15  10   6  0  23
 13 Whitby Town               18  3  4  3  17  16  2  4  2  13  10   4  0  23
 14 Matlock Town              16  3  1  4  12   8  3  3  2  18  15   7  0  22
 15 Nantwich Town             18  5  1  3  20  14  1  3  5  12  20  -2  0  22
 16 FC United of Manchester   16  4  1  3  16   9  2  2  4  11  14   4  0  21
 17 Frickley Athletic         16  5  1  2  13   8  1  2  5   9  20  -6  0  21
 18 Worksop Town              19  2  3  3   9  15  3  3  5  16  18  -8  0  21
 ============================================================================
 19 Ossett Town               19  3  0  6  15  21  2  4  4   9  16 -13  0  19
 20 Durham City               19  0  0 11   7  43  0  0  8   6  51 -81  0   0

Seenbetter

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »
So if everyone played their games in hand and magically won those games it seems we would be 4th or 5th from top. I realise there are a lot of variations possible but thats just a rough assessment of the situation. A long way to go yet. Can understand Scott getting hot under the collar at some of the games, can't afford to take our foot off the gas. I reckon the end of the season should be be very exciting.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »
Kendal, Ferriby or Guiseley look dangerous too, It could be a 10 horse race still after Xmas.  This thing is wide open.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »
Durham would be back to under 100 goals conceded  ;D

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
The team that finishes with 78 points will win the league. That for me is the target. No team has yet averaged 2 points a game. Therefore do that and two to spare and you will have the winner.
You really need 65 for a play off chance.

Let's see if I am right. Likelihood I will be wildly wrong!