Author Topic: Neutral venues  (Read 4189 times)

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Neutral venues
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
One for Ken. Have we ever played two away leagues matches at neutral grounds in a season? I certainly cannot remember it happening before in the 50 years I have been supporting the club, but I am sure there will be someone out there that knows

John C

• View Profile
Re: Neutral venues
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »
Another for Ken. This is probably not the season with the most postponements, but is it the one with the most different reasons for postponements?

I make it five reasons - bus trouble, waterlogged pitch, snow, Trophy clash and electrical failure....

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
Another for Ken. This is probably not the season with the most postponements, but is it the one with the most different reasons for postponements?

I make it five reasons - bus trouble, waterlogged pitch, snow, Trophy clash and electrical failure....

Pity we haven't had any called off for international call-ups.

rob.1987

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:10:10 AM »

You could technically add in 'unsafe stadium/surrounding area conditions' also.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »
One for Ken. Have we ever played two away leagues matches at neutral grounds in a season? I certainly cannot remember it happening before in the 50 years I have been supporting the club, but I am sure there will be someone out there that knows

I can't recall Boston playing any league matches at neutral grounds before (unless you count ground sharing such as Darlington's games at Bishop Auckland and Gloucester City at Cheltenham).

We've played a few cup games at neutral grounds. In the FA Trophy before drawn games were decided on penalties if you had two drawn games then the third one was at a neutral venue. So in 1982/3 after two drawn games Boston played Wycombe at a neutral venue and similarly in 1986/7 against Barnet.

A 1953 game in the FA Cup against Lysaghts Sports was played at a neutral ground but I'm not sure why!

And cup finals such as one at Wembley in 1985 are neutral (as was the Northern Premier League Cup final against Matlock at Maine Rd in 1978).

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 08:07:48 PM »
And the UniBond Challenge Cup Final, we played Gainsborough at Sincil Bank and Retford at Lincoln United.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »

I can't recall Boston playing any league matches at neutral grounds before (unless you count ground sharing such as Darlington's games at Bishop Auckland and Gloucester City at Cheltenham).

We've played a few cup games at neutral grounds. In the FA Trophy before drawn games were decided on penalties if you had two drawn games then the third one was at a neutral venue. So in 1982/3 after two drawn games Boston played Wycombe at a neutral venue and similarly in 1986/7 against Barnet.

A 1953 game in the FA Cup against Lysaghts Sports was played at a neutral ground but I'm not sure why!

And cup finals such as one at Wembley in 1985 are neutral (as was the Northern Premier League Cup final against Matlock at Maine Rd in 1978).
  we did play a Cup final at Sinful Bank vs Gainsborough, possibly in the mid 90's. I seem to remember a youthful Paul Ellender for Gainsborough getting his marching orders for half killing Martin Hardy with a late tackle. I could be completely wrong however...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:39:34 PM by The Third Twin »
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684