Author Topic: 'Exiled' fans - How close to home have you seen the Pilgrims play?  (Read 8809 times)

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
Reading the contributions on here, there seems to be quite a few Boston United fans scattered across the country.

I missed the game at Salford last season, but was there yesterday. After moving away from Boston almost 40 years ago, it became the closest ground to my house I've seen United play - its just over 4 miles to Salford City's Peninsula Stadium. Previously the closest had been Radcliffe Borough (about 5 miles), Bury FC (just over 6 miles) and FC United of Manchester (7 miles away in their 'new' home).

I live in Kearsley - within the boundaries of Bolton Council - but a stone's throw from borders with Bury Council and the City of Salford Council, and not too far from the City of Manchester Council border. Indeed, all four grounds mentioned above are closer to me than Bolton Wanderers.

Assuming we do not move out of the National North next season I'll have lost Salford, but Altrincham (16 miles away) coming up will help compensate. There are lots of teams at various levels closer to me than Boston is to Spalding, including this seasons' opponents Chorley, Curzon Ashton, FC United, Salford City and Stockport County. And Bradford Park Avenue and Southport are just over 30 miles away.

How close to home have my fellow 'exiles' seen the Pilgrims play?

John C

• View Profile
Re: 'Exiled' fans - How close to home have you seen the Pilgrims play?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »
I live two miles from Bramall Lane and saw us there in the League Cup in about 2006. But if I can claim when I was staying for the weekend with my ex-girlfriend, then it was about 3/4 of a mile from there to Stocksbridge Park Steels and I saw us in the Trophy in the late 90s....

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 05:44:05 PM »
Seven miles from Quorn - at least it was only a short trip home following an FA Trophy replay defeat. Incidentally, they're now playing on a 3G pitch.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »
I've lived in Basingstoke for 10 years. The closest ground to here that I've seen BUFC play at in that time is Oxford City, about 35 miles away. The closest in the league at the moment is Brackley, 50 miles away. A return to playing some southern clubs would be very much appreciated!

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 07:03:01 PM »
I'm in South London.

Like AJ, Oxford City was my nearest, at the moment it's Christmas and Easter when I can go to games.

Just give us a Cup run!!!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »
I'm in South London.

Like AJ, Oxford City was my nearest, at the moment it's Christmas and Easter when I can go to games.

Did you go to Dartford the other year?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Devon Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 09:38:56 PM »
Living in Devon, my best following was in Div 2 days when I could cheer them on at Exeter, Torquay and Yeovil.

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 09:41:46 PM »
I'm kent- I went to that dartford game and the Brighton away coca cola cup in league days

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »
I used to walk to Notts County back in the league days (about two miles)

It was a little bit further the year we played Carlton Town in the youth cup and the pre -season game there. We also played a friendly at Arnold Town a few years back - three or four miles from where I live at the moment.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:51 PM »
I used to walk to Notts County back in the league days (about two miles)

It was a little bit further the year we played Carlton Town in the youth cup and the pre -season game there. We also played a friendly at Arnold Town a few years back - three or four miles from where I live at the moment.

The County league games were a 15 minute walk across the river from my West Bridgford digs!

XYU

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »
For me it's a toss up between Hinckley in the league or Barwell in the FA Youth Cup a few years back. Now I have to make do with Nuneaton.
Glad Leamington have stayed up though, as I only work 5 minutes down the road!

Devon Pilgrim, you also had Tiverton in the FA Trophy. All I remember about that game was the pitch was as awful as our performance.

TAWMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 08:59:32 AM »
Evans offered to resign after that Trophy defeat. Why wasn't it accepted - could have saved a whole lot of bother.

Kirtonian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 11:23:41 AM »
I am going to miss my annual visit to Tamworth from where I live. Lost Hinckley some time ago which was a shame as I worked there and we had a good record against them at Leicester Road. Nuneaton is my "home" game now but I am working on Tuesday night. Went to the cup game at Kirby Muxloe just a few miles away.
Always hope that we draw either Shepshed or Loughborough Dynamo in the Cup but neither of these local teams seem to progress far enough to play against us.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
Evans offered to resign after that Trophy defeat. Why wasn't it accepted - could have saved a whole lot of bother.

Probably because it wasn't seriously tendered and was just another stunt.

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
I'm in South London.

Did you go to Dartford the other year?

Obviously that weekend I was back in Lincolnshire....