Author Topic: The relegation scrap is on  (Read 10059 times)

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
The relegation scrap is on
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
Several lower placed teams will slug it out in the next few games, beginning the scrap to keep clear of the play-off places.

Tomorrow night Gainsborough (21) are away at FCUM (18) and Telford (20) are away at Alfreton (17)
On Saturday Curzon (19) are home to Tamworth (16)
United we stand..................

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: The relegation scrap is on
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »
The alarming manner in which our form has collapsed means we're now in as much danger of going down as at any time under AM's reign (although the mini-revival under Elliott has spared us from the indignity being cast adrift at the bottom and essentially relegated already). With some really tough games to come, this might well go down to the wire on the last day v Telford.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »
Wow, just noticed we're only 3 points off a relegation spot. We've got some tough games coming up too.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »
"So, Having read the opinions of lots of Stockport fans it appears they like us found our goalkeeper "A joke". "A ridiculous time waster from the first minute". And some descriptions I will not put on here. In my opinion he must be dropped as it is clear he is costing us points and defenders have no confidence in him. Yes there are others not good enough and I hate singling anyone out but it is so clear to see. Personally I think we will be okay but it is worrying.  UTP.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »
IMO we need 9 more points (out of 30)to avoid the drop if we can’t achieve that total then we will deserve to be relegated. In the words of Corporal Jones
Don’t panic Mr Elliott
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:18:35 AM by Tash »
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »
Wins away at Chorley and Brackley in our next two games should see us through. Very confident we'll win both of these.

TEP

St Botolphs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
Good point oxo , still not clear on Elliot’s philosophy though in his after match interview. He’s happy with things at the moment, we played for a 0-0 ( strange since we haven’t kept a clean sheet this year). He says for 8 years he is used to managing a winning team so maybe shaw lane didn’t have to do much defending, so why fetch there goalie and main defender at a cost to us, we had just won all 4 games in December and appeared to have turned the corner, our last clean sheet Boxing Day. Since then Stewart and Qualter have played all 8 games resulting in no clean sheets and no winin the last five.

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 01:53:15 PM »
There's a massive difference between the NPL and this league. Nothing wrong with Willis. Experience at this level which current gk isn't I don't think. Mind you, there was not not much wrong with Durrant and money was paid to bring Willis in to replace him. Folks my old game. One things for sure, current side is in just as much danger of relegation at this stage as the lot who were written off as not good enough by many this time last season

Big difference is the wage bill is now much much higher and the club is no further forward

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »
At  least if we are better prepared for relegation with CE having had success in lower leagues .
Two seasons of misery now , low morale , low expectations and declining gates , 
None of us seem to know the answer as to why .

Maybe the vociferous band  of supporters who convinced DN that replacing a manager would improve on play-off positions previously achieved and improve gates can tell  us .?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
At  least if we are better prepared for relegation with CE having had success in lower leagues .
Two seasons of misery now , low morale , low expectations and declining gates , 
None of us seem to know the answer as to why .

Maybe the vociferous band  of supporters who convinced DN that replacing a manager would improve on play-off positions previously achieved and improve gates can tell  us .?

I think the primary objection of the anti-Den 'army' was about his off-field behaviour. Both AM and CE have been exemplary in that regard (thus far).

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
I do not know if it is a coincidence, but things have took a downward turn since the Grimsby alleged interest.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

youngchubby69

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »
 I don't think the Grimsby things has any bearing, it's more to do with other teams playing better than us, we are wasteful in front of goal, and our keeper is poor.
The defence is not good enough, the defence went down hill as soon as Ben Middleton left.
But he is back now so things should get better in that department.
But after our next two games we will be in the relegation places.
I still think we will go down, and that's really our level.
We have to face up to it now, prepare yourself for it,as it is coming.
We are a struggling club on and off the field, the new stadium is just a pipe dream really.
It will be built eventually but not in the next 5 years, and not by the chestnuts.
I have lost total faith in it all.

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 07:06:56 PM »
The manager admitted in his interview that he didn't go to Stockport to try and win the game

That admission is startling. He doesn't think his team is good enough to even try to win

Just sums up where the once great club currently sits

Lack of ambition when there is nothing to lose. Very disappointing and negative. Only one way someone with that approach will take the club

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »
There's a massive difference between the NPL and this league. Nothing wrong with Willis. Experience at this level which current gk isn't I don't think. Mind you, there was not not much wrong with Durrant and money was paid to bring Willis in to replace him. Folks my old game. One things for sure, current side is in just as much danger of relegation at this stage as the lot who were written off as not good enough by many this time last season

Big difference is the wage bill is now much much higher and the club is no further forward

Hoe much more is the wage bill now ? I'd be interested to see the figures if you are able to share ?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »
I don't think the Grimsby things has any bearing, it's more to do with other teams playing better than us, we are wasteful in front of goal, and our keeper is poor.
The defence is not good enough, the defence went down hill as soon as Ben Middleton left.
But he is back now so things should get better in that department.
But after our next two games we will be in the relegation places.
I still think we will go down, and that's really our level.
We have to face up to it now, prepare yourself for it,as it is coming.
We are a struggling club on and off the field, the new stadium is just a pipe dream really.
It will be built eventually but not in the next 5 years, and not by the chestnuts.
I have lost total faith in it all.
[/quote

Agree with your Grimsby and poor players comments chubby , at the moment we have not the players to fulfil the fans expectations .    We will have to wait until the summer to see what qaulity players CE can get in .
Hopefully the Stadium will be built in less time than you forcast ,  then again it may not be up to some fans extravagant expectations .  If as planned Chestnuts pass on the club on leaving  YS it will be a big game changer for the club . 

If my memory is correct unless a sugar daddy steps in it we be the first time in the last 50 years that the club wil have had to stand on it's own feet .    Over those years it has been financed by the generosity of the Malkinson family , Chestnuts and at the pinnacle of our history the HMRC . :(