Author Topic: History of football in Boston  (Read 3176 times)

TAWMAN

• View Profile
History of football in Boston
« on: February 21, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
Has anyone written a history of football in Boston, especially covering the pre United days?

The reason I ask is because I've come across a player called Bill Julian who played at the Lord Nelson Field in the 1890s against Royal Arsenal (yes, THAT Arsenal), who signed him a few days later and he became their captain. Bill played for a team called Boston Excelsior.

I know there were other teams in the 19th and early 20th centuries before Boston Town, including Boston Swifts, but no nothing about them either. Talking of Boston Town, I have a team photo from the 1920s, that may include a player called Jack Doran, who had previously had a good career, including playing for Manchester City and Ireland.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: History of football in Boston
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
This is the first time I've ever heard of Boston Excelsior - what a brilliant name. Some more information on them would be great.

I always liked 'Boston Swifts' too and if the club had gone under in 2007 it would have been great to re-form under that name - indeed, if I recall correctly, some cheeky little scamp called "Scotty Walds" registered that domain name!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »
I always liked 'Boston Swifts' too and if the club had gone under in 2007 it would have been great to re-form under that name - indeed, if I recall correctly, some cheeky little scamp called "Scotty Walds" registered that domain name!

Nah, that was AFCBoston(.co.uk)... since expired and available, as is bostonswifts.co.uk.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »
There's a photo of a "Boston Excelsior" team on a website www.thestrawplaiters.com which is a historical site about Luton Town FC in the Victorian era. It's on an A-Z list of teams that Luton played. The photo shows no players names but is labelled "The Boston Excelsior team of 1886-7". It's reasonable to assume that it's the same team that played Royal Arsenal. The source of the photo is Lincolnshire Standard according to the web link.

There's also a mention of a "Boston" team (no "Excelsior" though) losing 7-0 at Gainsborough Trinity in the FA Cup first round on 15th Oct 1887. The source of this is a book entitled "The History of the English Football League".
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:56:50 PM by The Third Twin »
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

TAWMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:07:30 PM »
I've just found a reference in the England Football Online website to a player called Alf Quantrill, who started out with Boston Swifts, joined Derby in 1914, then Preston for £4000 in 1921. He played 4 times for England in the early 1920s.

At www.friardale.co.uk/Gem/1922/Gem%200771-A.pdf there's a copy of 'The Gem' comic with an article about Quantrill on page 8 (and his photo on the front cover).

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »
I have these newspaper clippings in my local history archive collection about Boston Excelsior in 1886-7 -