Author Topic: Dennis Greene  (Read 22555 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Greene
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 10:51:41 AM »
I just wonder if we missed a trick by not courting Mr Wilkinson as a potential addition to the board? An excellent local businessman with good contacts.

But what would he bring to the party that Newton and Kempster don't already have?

If it was "investment" he'd want a slice of the Quandrant pie in return. I can imagine Newton's response to that proposal would be unprintable.

I think our chairman is perfectly happy running the club in the benign dictatorship mould, and the absolute last thing he'd want right now is a local businessman sticking his oar in.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »
I just wonder if we missed a trick by not courting Mr Wilkinson as a potential addition to the board? An excellent local businessman with good contacts.

I think it may well come in the fairly near future Andy , a man with great business acumen and also a genuine football fan .

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »

I think it may well come in the fairly near future Andy , a man with great business acumen and also a genuine football fan .

Which would contradict everything that's been said about Wilkinson eventually taking over from Mick Vines as chairman and Town being a 'long term' project.

youngchubby69

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »
Don't the chestnuts own the land that Boston town's ground is on, I thought I would just throw that in the mix.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
Don't the chestnuts own the land that Boston town's ground is on, I thought I would just throw that in the mix.

Its listed on there asset files for 3/4 years now. about the time the new lease was agreed by Boston town

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »

Three years is considered long term in football !!!
Which would contradict everything that's been said about Wilkinson eventually taking over from Mick Vines as chairman and Town being a 'long term' project.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 07:56:04 AM »
But why would Wilkinson chuck a load of money in to Town only to abandon his "project" there and chuck a load more money at United after a couple of years? That makes literally no sense.

If anything, the sums he finds himself having to plough into Town to drag them up a couple of divisions will mean he won't want to touch us - or any other club - with a bargepole come 2021... he may well be a successful local businessman, but there are clubs in our sphere owned by people in the £200m+ wealth bracket.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
But why would Wilkinson chuck a load of money in to Town only to abandon his "project" there and chuck a load more money at United after a couple of years? That makes literally no sense.

If anything, the sums he finds himself having to plough into Town to drag them up a couple of divisions will mean he won't want to touch us - or any other club - with a bargepole come 2021... he may well be a successful local businessman, but there are clubs in our sphere owned by people in the £200m+ wealth bracket.

Don't think anyone will have to find a load of money to buy BUFC .  David Newton has said all along he will hand the club over debt free , add the fact that the club will not own any valuable assets .

Paul Wilkinson is a very astute business man as the records prove .    Unlike most owners who puts pots of money into clubs I feel sure he would be hands on and work to a sustainable business plan .
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:15:40 AM by green hats mate »

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »

Don't think anyone will have to find a load of money to buy BUFC .  David Newton has said all along he will hand the club over debt free , add the fact that the club will not own any valuable assets .

Paul Wilkinson is a very astute business man as the records prove .    Unlike most owners who puts pots of money into clubs I feel sure he would be hands on and work to a sustainable business plan .

Running a club with no debts or assets is not an easy task (ask our chairman)
Your new ground will be owned by someone else, and you will have a lease on it. DN has subsidised BUFC’s budget every year since he took over. Your new owner will need to at least guarantee any shortfall, and as this league is getting even more ridiculous with stupid budgets -then the job is not for the faint hearted
Good business acumen and good luck are needed in equal measure

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 07:11:56 AM »
DN has mentioned before that the aim is that the new ground will generate additional revenue from corporate facilities etc that we do not have at York Street and this will hopefully plug the shortfall that DN currently has to put his hand in his pocket for.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »
Not forgetting the rent at the moment is £75000 and will be nothing like that when we move. The shortfall will be considerably less than it is now,if it isn’t who would take it on?
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 10:11:31 AM »

Your new ground will be owned by someone else, and you will have a lease on it. DN has subsidised BUFC’s budget every year since he took over. Your new owner will need to at least guarantee any shortfall, and as this league is getting even more ridiculous with stupid budgets -then the job is not for the faint hearted

As I understand it (and happy to be set right if I've misunderstood this), while you are technically correct, the new ground is supposed to be placed into community ownership with the club paying a peppercorn rent for its use - hopefully safeguarding it from ever falling into the hands of one individual (as was thankfully averted at Trinity). The revenue from the community facilities will go towards their upkeep and that of the stadium. I doubt they will be sufficient to run the football club to the extent that we will be entirely self-sufficient, but they will at least reduce the burden.

That's the theory anyway....

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
As I understand it (and happy to be set right if I've misunderstood this), while you are technically correct, the new ground is supposed to be placed into community ownership

Correct. The planning application for the stadium was made "...made on behalf of Chestnut Homes (Land) Ltd and Boston United Football Club Community Interest Company...".

http://thequadrantboston.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DAS-Community-Stadium.pdf
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

youngchubby69

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »

I really do think that Trinity are in a better financial position than Boston, at least you have assets (your ground) and the best business acumen was shown by yourselves by not selling the ground to Mr Swan, because whether you agree or disagree with his intentions, he truly showed his true colours in the end"which were not Blue" when he could not get his hands on what he truly wanted.
Maybe he would have honoured his promise and built you another ground , but there was always the risk he wouldn't once he got his hands on a prime piece of development land.
The same would have happened to Boston if the Malkinson family had sold out to dodgy Evans and Sotnick, you have only got to look at Darlington now to know what a conman Sotnick is.
Boston will in the future be owned by the community, the ground anyway, but I would imagine we will need a private investment to give us a decent budget, I don't see the new stadium providing the income on its own.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »

As others have pointed out the new ground will be at a peppercorn rent thus lowering the overheads .
As for the other points you make Steeli they cannot be questioned .   People mention extra income streams when we move ,  what are they and what income are they likely to bring ?  I suggest nowhere near the £150K a year Chestnuts put in ( remember R & D ).