Author Topic: Greg Smith  (Read 6750 times)

delbar

• View Profile
Greg Smith
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:20:37 PM »
I personally feel he would be well suited to a month out on loan to try and improve his overall fitness, anyone with any view?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Greg Smith
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »
I personally feel he would be well suited to a month out on loan to try and improve his overall fitness, anyone with any view?

I think CE would prefer him to stay as a plan B available from the bench .

youngchubby69

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
I think that should have happened at the start of the season.
But I thought on Saturday that he did look like he was a bit sharper and quicker.
But we all must remember that pace has never been part of his game, Greg has always been a target man and a player who you can hold the ball up and play others in, which he did on Saturday.
He has always been a threat at set pieces,and most of his goals and assists come from them.
He is always very good at defensive set plays and is a decent defender when needed.

youngchubby69

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »

I think CE would prefer him to stay as a plan B available from the bench .
Totally agree GHM, I would be disappointed to see him leave us, as I said to him on Saturday"chin up big fella you are still part of this team and club.
We must also remember that he has been playing catch up for most of the season.
He still scares the crap out of the opposition, and that makes me smile.

delbar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:56:22 PM »
Would love to see him retained for next season, certainly gives his all, just thinking especially with no game on saturday that 3-4 full games in the glue league might have benefited him for the run in to the season.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »
I understand that both Stamford and Gainsborough have requested him on loan very recently and Bufc have blocked both requests.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:39:20 PM »
wyberton fc or boston town r not interested lol

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:42:21 PM »
Only saw him the once, v Southport.

Thought he was shockingly bad. Unbelievably slow, too heavy to get off the ground for a header, contributed nothing. Only skill seemed to be his ability to pass the ball back to the player who threw the ball in - oh and complain to the referee. A defender's dream I would suggest.

As soon as he was subbed, the game changed, had some pace up front and grab the win. ;)

stamford pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »
we will willingly take him for a month!!!!

youngchubby69

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »

Thought he was shockingly bad. Unbelievably slow, too heavy to get off the ground for a header, contributed nothing. Only skill seemed to be his ability to pass the ball back to the player who threw the ball in - oh and complain to the referee. A defender's dream I would suggest.

As soon as he was subbed, the game changed, had some pace up front and grab the win. ;)
He was probably having a bad game, but he is nothing like you saw.
Pace has never been an asset of his, but let me tell you one thing, he gives everything every time he plays, he never gives up and drive's his teammates on.
He leads hi troops in to battle and is not to proud to come back and defend.
He has the guts to come back from a serious injury and has never used that as an excuse for a bad performance.

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 07:34:53 PM »
He's well overweight. Far to slow. He was good enough for us in the relegation places but if we want to compete for play offs we need to replace him

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
He's well overweight. Far to slow. He was good enough for us in the relegation places but if we want to compete for play offs we need to replace him

Smith and Tshimango have made valuable contributions as subs but as Wayne says we need better to establish a team to make an impact on the play-offs .    Snag is nearly every other club is looking for a 30 goals a season striker , 

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:00:51 PM »

That’s a bit unfair on Gregg,
From memory of the game He made flick on header for penalty, made himself 3 decent chances and won headers all over the pitch.
One things for sure, Gregg gives it his all every time he wears the shirt.

Why would Delmar think of starting a post on this subject.

delbar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:07 PM »
Because as a forum member its my right to make a post providing it doesnt break any rules of the site!

I dont disagree that Greg gives his all and i genuinely hope he is still around next season as over the last two seasons he has given his all to the club, not just on the pitch but the club in general.

Why does a player going out on loan for a month and getting some full games under the belt have to automatically be a negative for the player?

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 12:13:22 AM »
The first time I saw Greg last season I thought he was a complete donkey. But he’s grown on me massively. He’s the sort of player whose presence can often create opportunities for others. When on the pitch, he tends to draw in one of the big defenders which can create space for others. He’s a handful and gives the defence something different to think about. He makes stuff happen through pure grit and determination and in tight games, you need players like that.  He’s definitely worth keeping even if his role evolves into being an impact sub rather than a starter.

I’d echo the comments of others when I’d say farming him out on loan might not be the best option. match sharpness and fitness have never been a hallmark of his game as far as I can tell.