Author Topic: Boxing Day v Trinity  (Read 18322 times)

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boxing Day v Trinity
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »
It doesnt work, Reduced matches for example the past 2 seasons have only reduced income, Boxing day is a important income stream for the club and with 3oo+ getting in for free it be  massive decrease

How do you know? There is no metric that allows you to measure the effectiveness of these kind of promotions in terms of their true aim, which is to cultivate new supporters. I can offer some anecdotal evidence though.

As a young 13 year old, many years ago I was handed a free ticket on one of the clubs promotions via school. I hadn’t considered coming to a Boston match before, but I was hooked after one game and came to every single match afterwards for about 5 years. I bought plenty of merchandise over the years and even persuaded a whole group of friends to come along. I visit less nowadays but I’ve passed my passion on to my kids who are now avid fans themselves. That free ticket may have cost the club £5 in lost revenue back in 1993, but it’s been paid back and then some.

My point is that these type’s of promotions are very much slow burners and are unlikely to yield obvious short term results. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do them though.  In this day and age with all the distractions kids have we should be working even harder to attract the next generation of fans if we want to survive.

One final point, re Alfreron, I don’t think it’s a good idea to point at a poorly run club and give ourselves a pat on the back. We should be comparing ourselves to the best and realise we are not competing with the likes of Alfreton for fans. We are competing with Smart Phones, X Boxes, Televised matches and all the other things kids can do nowadays. If we want to compete with that we have to think outside the box and offer an excellent product. Or die.

It was mentioned several times on twitter last time we did match day reductions on twitter by a not those close to the club but those in the club. I do follow our General manager and media outlets

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 09:50:23 AM »
Just to add i sort of guess when you mention effectiveness im guessing you mean long term (please correct me if wrong). I see your point but we dont have that luxery at mo. Its a week to week here at mo

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
Happy Christmas everyone.   Hope to celebrate the match on Boxing Day with as many young and not so young supporters as possible.  Much to look forward to after the recent results and every reason to join in.   
United we stand..................

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »
It doesnt work, Reduced matches for example the past 2 seasons have only reduced income, Boxing day is a important income stream for the club and with 3oo+ getting in for free it be  massive decrease

How do you know? There is no metric that allows you to measure the effectiveness of these kind of promotions in terms of their true aim, which is to cultivate new supporters. I can offer some anecdotal evidence though.

As a young 13 year old, many years ago I was handed a free ticket on one of the clubs promotions via school. I hadn’t considered coming to a Boston match before, but I was hooked after one game and came to every single match afterwards for about 5 years. I bought plenty of merchandise over the years and even persuaded a whole group of friends to come along. I visit less nowadays but I’ve passed my passion on to my kids who are now avid fans themselves. That free ticket may have cost the club £5 in lost revenue back in 1993, but it’s been paid back and then some.

My point is that these type’s of promotions are very much slow burners and are unlikely to yield obvious short term results. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do them though.  In this day and age with all the distractions kids have we should be working even harder to attract the next generation of fans if we want to survive.

One final point, re Alfreron, I don’t think it’s a good idea to point at a poorly run club and give ourselves a pat on the back. We should be comparing ourselves to the best and realise we are not competing with the likes of Alfreton for fans. We are competing with Smart Phones, X Boxes, Televised matches and all the other things kids can do nowadays. If we want to compete with that we have to think outside the box and offer an excellent product. Or die.

It was mentioned several times on twitter last time we did match day reductions on twitter by a not those close to the club but those in the club. I do follow our General manager and media outlets

I think you missed my point. My point was that it is impossible to judge the short term or long term effectiveness of these kind of promotions with only attendance figures. You simply don’t have the data to make that judgement.

If you look at the game to which the promotion applies in isolation, then perhaps you’ll make a loss.  My own story provides an example of this. The club lost £5 on match day, but as I watched another 10 games over the remainder of the season, each at £5, then over the course of the season they actually made a £45 profit out of it. This wouldn’t show up in the attendance figures, but clearly it was a good investment. Both in the short term and the long term.

I disagree about it being a luxury, I think it’s actually a neccesity. You simply have to keep seeding the next generation of fans continuously to ensure the long term survival of the club. Watching football is an expensive leisure activity, taking for granted that we will always have 1000+ hardcore fans turn up and doing nothing to attract new ones is a dangerous game in my opinion.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »
Lovely day for a footy match. Pint of spitfire, chips and curry, and three points, what could be better.
Be interested to see the team sheet, same as last time out, or a few changes?
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »

I think you missed my point. My point was that it is impossible to judge the short term or long term effectiveness of these kind of promotions with only attendance figures. You simply don’t have the data to make that judgement.

If you look at the game to which the promotion applies in isolation, then perhaps you’ll make a loss.  My own story provides an example of this. The club lost £5 on match day, but as I watched another 10 games over the remainder of the season, each at £5, then over the course of the season they actually made a £45 profit out of it. This wouldn’t show up in the attendance figures, but clearly it was a good investment. Both in the short term and the long term.

I disagree about it being a luxury, I think it’s actually a neccesity. You simply have to keep seeding the next generation of fans continuously to ensure the long term survival of the club. Watching football is an expensive leisure activity, taking for granted that we will always have 1000+ hardcore fans turn up and doing nothing to attract new ones is a dangerous game in my opinion.

Didnt miss it at all. i posted a 2nd post straight after

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
Another great win under a manager who is certainly turning some eyes. Time for all fans to stop the moaning about who was right and who was wrong about the previous two managers and focus on supporting this one and the team which he has got winning !! Awesome times are on the horizon.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 06:08:35 PM »
You may well be spot on there Left back

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
Really enjoyed the game today.
Not sure about the MOM though, personally i'd have gone for Ben Middleton, or Reece Thompson.
Ben was a rock in defence and although Reece didn't score, he worked his socks off and never gave the defenders a moments peace.
All in all an enjoyable game and three big points.
Well done CE and all the lads.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 06:17:15 PM »
Really enjoyed the game today.
Not sure about the MOM though, personally i'd have gone for Ben Middleton, or Reece Thompson.
Ben was a rock in defence and although Reece didn't score, he worked his socks off and never gave the defenders a moments peace.
All in all an enjoyable game and three big points.
Well done CE and all the lads.

I thought Middleton played well too, particularly after taking a bad knock in the face early on. Overall a decent result and nice to keep the winning run going. If we win at Gainsborough on New Year’s Day, are we in with an outside shot at the playoffs?

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 06:19:05 PM »
Today showed how far we have come over recent weeks as after dominating for long periods on Saturday today was different and we had to earn the rite to play as it was a scrappy niggly opening half.
As the game wore on we showed our resolve and basically easily saw out a 2.0 win.
For me Either of our center halfs or Thommo were man of the match.
Well done to all let's take loads to boro and make it 5 wins on the spin!

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 06:20:07 PM »
I'm just happy to be away from the drop zone!!
I see FC United beat $alford today.
Oscar Wilde

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2017, 06:29:19 PM »
Happy Christmas everyone.   Hope to celebrate the match on Boxing Day with as many young and not so young supporters as possible.  Much to look forward to after the recent results and every reason to join in.

Not the best game but a battle of a local derby, 2 goals, a clean sheet and  a 4th consecutive win.  What's not to like.
Excellent turn out today.  Well done everyone and a Happy New Year!
United we stand..................

Cousin Jack

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »

Nice to be joint top. Only the form table, but that's a good start!

baldfinn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
One for Ken , when did we last win 4 league games in a row
Thanks