Author Topic: Boxing Day v Trinity  (Read 18323 times)

youngchubby69

Boxing Day v Trinity
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:49:09 AM »
I think it would have been a nice gesture by the club to let kid's in for free on Boxing day, as I should imagine there will be a lot of people bringing their children with them.
It might even encourage a few more adults to come if the kids go free.
After all it is Christmas.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Re: Boxing Day v Trinity
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »
I think this would be a first for Boxing Day so wasn't expecting it. Did you contact the Club to suggest it ?

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
Great idea chubby and I agree it probably would bring extra adults as well as added food programme merchandise sales but to do this the club would have needed to publicise it to max it out.
So probably a tad late.
Do agree though the club as a whole could really try a bit harder to grab people from their armchairs.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
Anyone who thinks Boston United should do more to get people out of their armchairs ought to take a look at clubs like Alfreton, £14 yesterday to enter one of the worst grounds in Conference North, and then £3 for a programme which doesn't contain one quarter the reading material of our own. Boston are streets ahead of many clubs in our league for the overall matchday experience and value for money, and I get fed up sometimes of reading people criticising our club!

Rant over, merry Xmas!

youngchubby69

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »
Anyone who thinks Boston United should do more to get people out of their armchairs ought to take a look at clubs like Alfreton, £14 yesterday to enter one of the worst grounds in Conference North, and then £3 for a programme which doesn't contain one quarter the reading material of our own. Boston are streets ahead of many clubs in our league for the overall matchday experience and value for money, and I get fed up sometimes of reading people criticising our club!

Rant over, merry Xmas!
I am no criticising the club, but trying to tap into extra revenue from people who are probably visiting their relatives over the Xmas period and with the kids going free they would be able to treat a relative to a match.
Not to mention a much bigger crowd and atmosphere future supporters etc.
It was just a thought but a late one at that, I am not going to fall out over it.
So merry Xmas YSP and let's hope for another win on Boxing Day,4 in a row would be a massive achievement.
I  looking forward to going, and I have to admit I haven't felt like that many times this season.
I agree Alfertons ground is awful, can't agree more.

youngchubby69

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
I think this would be a first for Boxing Day so wasn't expecting it. Did you contact the Club to suggest it ?
Do you think it's to late to suggest it.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »
If only... Club does its best to ensure it's own fans can't attend.....
When was the last time they did an offer for home games? The kiddy trophy game was always going to be reduced as neither were fussed about the cup.
They don't lower kids prices as they say the season ticket for them works out at a quid a game....

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »

Rant over, merry Xmas!

Fully agree, even if I'll still find something to moan about at bufc. Theat programme yesterday was a disgrace and £14 to get in there is no better.
Good day out though

youngchubby69

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
When was the last time they did an offer for home games? The kiddy trophy game was always going to be reduced as neither were fussed about the cup.
They don't lower kids prices as they say the season ticket for them works out at a quid a game....

Just thought it would have been a nice gesture to the fans.
For me it's just about getting more people in and a better atmosphere.
Notts County season ticket holders get to bring a friend free twice a year to a home match, and kid's often get in free.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 11:58:16 AM »

Just thought it would have been a nice gesture to the fans.
For me it's just about getting more people in and a better atmosphere.
Notts County season ticket holders get to bring a friend free twice a year to a home match, and kid's often get in free.

That's a great idea.  Season ticket holders can bring a friend and kids for free.  Fill the ground make us the 12th man could be a loss leader, think for the future.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:00:01 PM by Dipdodah »
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »

Easy to say reduce prices ,  my guess is those who suggest it would be the first to moan when the chairman had to reduce the managers budget through lower gate income .
The club put on a good offer on season tickets for the rest of the season .    I see on BUFC facebook Andy Butler suggested he would rather pay the full price to support club finances ,  I think most of our friends share Andys view .

youngchubby69

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »

Easy to say reduce prices ,  my guess is those who suggest it would be the first to moan when the chairman had to reduce the managers budget through lower gate income .
The club put on a good offer on season tickets for the rest of the season .    I see on BUFC facebook Andy Butler suggested he would rather pay the full price to support club finances ,  I think most of our friends share Andys view .

To be honest GHM, I don't have a problem with what we pay for entry and season tickets.
I was only suggesting a one off kids go free for this very important Boxing day fixture to boost the crowd attendance.
As I have said before, you only get what you pay for.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
It doesnt work, Reduced matches for example the past 2 seasons have only reduced income, Boxing day is a important income stream for the club and with 3oo+ getting in for free it be  massive decrease

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
It doesnt work, Reduced matches for example the past 2 seasons have only reduced income, Boxing day is a important income stream for the club and with 3oo+ getting in for free it be  massive decrease

How do you know? There is no metric that allows you to measure the effectiveness of these kind of promotions in terms of their true aim, which is to cultivate new supporters. I can offer some anecdotal evidence though.

As a young 13 year old, many years ago I was handed a free ticket on one of the clubs promotions via school. I hadn’t considered coming to a Boston match before, but I was hooked after one game and came to every single match afterwards for about 5 years. I bought plenty of merchandise over the years and even persuaded a whole group of friends to come along. I visit less nowadays but I’ve passed my passion on to my kids who are now avid fans themselves. That free ticket may have cost the club £5 in lost revenue back in 1993, but it’s been paid back and then some.

My point is that these type’s of promotions are very much slow burners and are unlikely to yield obvious short term results. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do them though.  In this day and age with all the distractions kids have we should be working even harder to attract the next generation of fans if we want to survive.

One final point, re Alfreron, I don’t think it’s a good idea to point at a poorly run club and give ourselves a pat on the back. We should be comparing ourselves to the best and realise we are not competing with the likes of Alfreton for fans. We are competing with Smart Phones, X Boxes, Televised matches and all the other things kids can do nowadays. If we want to compete with that we have to think outside the box and offer an excellent product. Or die.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:04:56 PM by Maxross »

Steviemas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 08:29:24 PM »
Good post Maxross, with so much other attractions nowadays for kids, vitally important that clubs try and do all they can to bring in the future generation of supporters. Like yourself I was hooked at a very early age in the mid seventies when my parents took me to my first Bufc game, followed them ever since now for forty odd years.
 If clubs like ourselves are to survive they need to look at a long term solution to bring in a future fanbase, sure probably take a hit financially in the short term, but it only needs that one game for a young kid to go to be hooked for life, happened to me.
           We Are Boston
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:00:35 PM by Steviemas »