Author Topic: Southport today.  (Read 11551 times)

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Southport today.
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
Well, I braved the weather and went to see the game today. Hard work but they got there in the end, well done lads.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Southport today.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
Lousy weather to watch football ..

Worrying when they got a penalty back .. still questions over Willis ??

Well done to squad and manager .

youngchubby69

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »
Good effort in the second half, showed real determination to come back and win.
The subs made a real impact, Thompson was my man of the match, worked his guts out and deserves a goal which will come in the end.
But back to back wins and out of the relegation zone can't ask for anymore.
Well done to everyone.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:53:30 PM »
Poor defending Ted, anyway, 3 points and out of the bottom 3.  :D
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

youngchubby69

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
Lousy weather to watch football ..

Worrying when they got a penalty back .. still questions over Willis ??

Well done to squad and manager .

Yes Ted still a concern, but if the confidence grows in the sqaud perhaps he will get better.
But if he doesn't improve, I think he will be gone in January.
Elliott is ruthless and he won't carry anyone.

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »
Well done lads! But if only we could stop gifting the opponents goals then things would be fine.
Gotta say well played to Thommo once again gave his all and was a constant pest to the Southport defence with his tireless lung busting runs for lost causes.
Would have liked to have seen Kabo start instead of smith.
Smith looked well off the pace and would be better used as an impact sub.
Poor crowd but those who went got an early Xmas pressie from the lads!!!

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 06:10:20 PM »
At 790 it was a poor gate...however... we are now seeing the team go for it a bit....
Hemmings can drift in and of games but can do things ..
Agreed about Greg...something not quite right
Brilliant win in the end ..well done  all concerned ;)

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
2 gifted goals saw us 2-1 down and it was all huffing and puffing.  Switched things at half time new energy and good contribution from the new guys-  awesome stuff from reece and also rollins- ran their socks off. 3 vital points- not pretty but I don't care. Nice one lads

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 06:44:21 PM »
Have to say at half time I and I am sure the other volunteers who cleared the pitch during the morning were wishing we hadn't bothered. That first half apart from the penalty was an almost exact repeat of the the away game at Southport with our defenders looking as if they were going to have a nervous breakdown every time anyone run at them. Pleased to see Craig change it for the second half taking two crap defenders off and trusting in his new signings who I thought looked excellent on their debuts. Why Smith wasn't replaced early was a mystery, never recovered from the early clattering he got and seemed to be carrying that knock all game. Well done to all the lads in the second half you got what you deserved, and well done to our manager with an eye for a good signing and proving he is willing to show who is boss. Oh and thank you to those who donated money to my Jam Jar fund, I will bank this week and update.     

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 07:13:41 PM »
Well played lads, agree we carried Smith for most of the match, but got there in the end with the sub.  Poor crowd, but then this is always a poor crowd day.  I may be wrong perhaps someone can tell me, I think this is the lowest Saturday league crowd since pre Evan's days.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
Well played lads, agree we carried Smith for most of the match, but got there in the end with the sub.  Poor crowd, but then this is always a poor crowd day.  I may be wrong perhaps someone can tell me, I think this is the lowest Saturday league crowd since pre Evan's days.

2012/13 was worse

Sat 1st Dec 782 vs Altrincham
Sat 15th Dec 759 vs Droylsden

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 08:03:53 PM »
Thanks Ken, I stand corrected :D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
We were bloody awful for large parts of the first half, and barring a miraculous late turn around, we almost lost to a team on a run of 15 without a win. Make no mistake, Mr Elliot still has a mountain to climb with a team of underachieving misfits, but with back to back wins, there's a glimmer of hope and a chink of light at the end of the tunnel. I thought Thompson was a worthy recipient of the Champaign. He spent most of the 90 minutes doing Smith's work for him, as well as his own. We missed McGuire's leadership and non stop battling in the middle of the park, but the big plus for me was we never gave up, and we played and celebrated as a team. Dare we think of a couple more wins by early January and the table may look very different?
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 09:32:28 PM »
Slightly off topic but did anyone hear the teamsheet winning numbers from today's game?

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »
70 something  and 130 something  :)