Author Topic: Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football And Me  (Read 3412 times)

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football And Me
« on: November 26, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
For those that didn't see the original broadcast, the above is being shown again today at 3.55p.m. on BBC1.

It features a visit by Shearer to talk to our ex-striker Matt Tees and his wife in their home. Sad to see that Matt - now 78 - is suffering from dementia.

Those of us old enough, and were at those memorable FA Cup games v Derby County in 1974, will remember Matt was substitute for the Pilgrims in both games (only one sub in those days).

Derby finished 3rd in the First Division (the name of the top flight back then) in 1973/74 behind champions Leeds United and Liverpool. Manchester United were relegated to the Second Division. Derby went onto be First Division Champions the following season, and Manchester United were promoted back to the First Division as Second Division Champions.

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football And Me
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »
Regarding the Derby team they had won the division one title in 71-2 as well and about six months before playing us they had been 72-3 European cup semi finalists losing out to Juventus.

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »
You have to remember the footballs were a lot heavier in his days. Anyone remember our Dusty Miller who could head the ball from the halfway line into the opposition`s goal area. I wonder what happened to him?

Pilgrim58

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:16 PM »
Today's football is no lighter than a 30's 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's or 90's the thing was when i rained the old leather ball gained weught

It is a myth that the modern ball is lighter than the balls used in the past.
Since 1937, the dry weight of the ball has been specified by Law 2: 14-16oz. Prior to that, the rules governing the ball’s dry weight specified something lighter – 13-15oz.
This goes for the new ball used in 2010 just as much as it did for the 1966 ball. Whenever you read a comment along the lines of “I’d like to see modern players heading the leather pudding the ’66 boys had to put up with” you can assume that they don’t know what they’re talking about.
What has changed are (1) the material from which the ball is made, and thus the ability of the ball to avoid weight gain during the game through water absorption, and (2) the aerodynamics of the ball i.e. the smoothness of the surface.
The new ball isn’t lighter in of itself – which is what people seem to be assuming: but the new ball won’t get so wet in play. So in the broad sunshine of the ’66 World Cup Final, the famous orange balls were the same weight as the ones we see today. And so it has been on every dry day, on every dry pitch, since the balls were first standardized in the early 1870s.

Kirtonian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Good stuff P58. I'm not as hard as I thought I was back in the 60's then. Heading the lacing of the ball sometimes left an imprint on your forehead though. I can remember applying Dubbin Wax to the ball and my boots in wet weather. Still on the market today I believe.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »
And so it has been on every dry day, on every dry pitch, since the balls were first standardized in the early 1870s.

The myth is proven to be true for the majority of games in the English football season, the old boys were right after all   :o ;)