Author Topic: Atherton Collieries (FA Trophy)  (Read 13798 times)

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
Re: Atherton Collieries (FA Trophy)
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »

The problem is none of these fringe players are getting enough proper game time, if we had a reserve team, which Chris Cook craves for, these lads would be getting regular competitive football.

The return of a proper Reserve team playing mostly at weekends, as opposed to an U-21/U-23 side playing limited fixtures mostly in midweek, has worked in the past. The Lincolnshire League is always looking for more clubs and its committee have worked tirelessly to try and restore its once good reputation and is still able to provide 3 match officials for games. The Peterborough & District League would involve less travelling but can only supply 1 match official for a game so the club would need to find a volunteer linesman for each match. Both are Step 7 leagues and, theoretically, the same standard of opposition - I am sure other contributors have opinions as to which is actually the stronger!
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »

The problem is none of these fringe players are getting enough proper game time, if we had a reserve team, which Chris Cook craves for, these lads would be getting regular competitive football.

The return of a proper Reserve team playing mostly at weekends, as opposed to an U-21/U-23 side playing limited fixtures mostly in midweek, has worked in the past. The Lincolnshire League is always looking for more clubs and its committee have worked tirelessly to try and restore its once good reputation and is still able to provide 3 match officials for games. The Peterborough & District League would involve less travelling but can only supply 1 match official for a game so the club would need to find a volunteer linesman for each match. Both are Step 7 leagues and, theoretically, the same standard of opposition - I am sure other contributors have opinions as to which is actually the stronger!

I appreciate that our current management/playing staff situation that could change in the future, but given the size of our current first-team squad and where the majority are based, it might make it more attractive from a travelling perspective on away games if we had a reserve team playing in an equivalent level South / West Yorkshire League? That's of course if the league members were prepared to travel to Boston to play an away game.

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2019, 11:46:09 AM »

Interesting view this. Problem is you need a lot of players to run two teams on a Saturday. If a Res side went into the Lincs League or PDFL you'd have to have a fair few U23/U21 players playing along with fringe players, you can't use all the fringe players as you'd need some for the bench for the first team.

In terms of which is stronger the last time the league rep sides played Lincs beat Peterborough 2-0 however in Lincs Cup matches the PDFL teams generally come out on top, especially in the latter stages. Moulton Harrox v Hykeham Town this weekend in the third round which will be a good indicator.

The location of league is again a good point but if you're including U23/U21 players I'm guessing a fair few of those are Boston based if they've come through the academy system so would make sense to be in a league local to Boston rather than Yorks.

A final point is how committed will the fringe players be? It's a bit of a come down signing for Boston United but then ending up playing away at Leverington/Tydd St Mary/Wyberton/Nettleham in what is pretty much an amateur league!

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »
So Atherton Colls have drawn top-of-the-National League Barrow at home in the next round.

Can't get a 'stronger' team than that in the entire draw - though the National League does look a bit 'odd' at the moment in as far as top of the table Barrow have lost 7 out of 21 games whilst bottom of the table Chorley have only lost 9 of their 22 games.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
I see CE has called Wafula out in the press. Can't see him being around for much longer now. For his own sake he should probably drop down a level. Maybe Gainsborough.

Don't quite understand why we still have Wafula - must be on next to nothing wages and not costing.
Wafula is here because Craig wants him here, or do you prefer the revolving door fiasco of last season?
Then they would get the chance to gel and then wouldn't look so disjointed when they do play together.
No amount of training sessions will help them with this, match action is the only remedy.

Old boy thin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2019, 09:46:01 PM »
I see CE has called Wafula out in the press. Can't see him being around for much longer now. For his own sake he should probably drop down a level. Maybe Gainsborough.

Don't quite understand why we still have Wafula - must be on next to nothing wages and not costing.
Wafula is here because Craig wants him here, or do you prefer the revolving door fiasco of last season?
Then they would get the chance to gel and then wouldn't look so disjointed when they do play together.
No amount of training sessions will help them with this, match action is the only remedy.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Nicky Walker depart also, he has no been good enough so far this season,  and has had the opportunity as well.
"I don't believe you""
"That's of minor importance, what is of major f***ing importance,is that l believe you".

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/