Author Topic: Fortress Boston?  (Read 8134 times)

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Fortress Boston?
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
Despite somewhat indifferent performances, our home form in the league this season is won 3, drew 1, lost 1. 10 points from 15 isn't a bad return in reality. Away, of course is a different matter.

However, between now and Christmas, we have 6 scheduled home league games against Darlington, $alford, Brackley, Stockport, York and Southport, all sides I consider strong sides.

Realistically, how many points can we gain in these games?

Should the away form remain as poor, if we don't get at least 2 wins and 2 draws from these games, we could be really in the $h1t by Christmas, but is that a realistic target? And is it enough to keep us out of the drop zone? I'm not sure it is, and I'm not sure we're good enough to earn those points against those sides.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

tom and jerry

• View Profile
Re: Fortress Boston?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
Can't see Boston going down by many a mile. Will stay up comfortably  Relegation talk is, in my view, premature

However, given the investment in on and off field matters, mid table at the very least has to be the target. Whether mediocrity will be enough to save the manager remains to be seen but i think this side will finish smack bang in the middle of the table. Not much better than last season though and that was achieved with a much cheaper and some say less good squad. More i think about this i think last season's players may have been worth a longer look

youngchubby69

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »
Went to watch Notts County last night, wow the turn around in just a few months is amazing, Kevin Nolan has worked wonders with practical the same squad that was there last season, yes he has as added a few extra players, and they have a new chairman.
But those players and fan's really believe in him,and it shows in the whole atmosphere and performance,and yes for a short while last night they top of the league.
So Boston should not give up hope, we need to say positive and get behind this team, we can't control what happens in the boardroom, if they decide to let Adam go then that's there decision.
If Adam goes, he still would have brought some improvement to the club, pitch, ground, technical stuff,etc.
Who can say that a new manager won't come in and fully benefit from the off field work Adam has done.
After all Nolan hg has done that at County and they are flying.
If Adam is to survive, he needs to get the fans and players to truly believe in him.
But while he is here let's give him the support he needs.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
Dress it up as we like but anywhere less than 7th will be failure .  Were previous mangers driven out with the object of lowering the clubs aspirations ?   

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »
AM told us we would get promotion with his team.  He has his team and don't forget we have the best midfielder in the league.

Anything less is failure.

On a match day in our dugout there are about 5 guys.. Manager,  assistant  Manager,  Physio but who are the other two??
And what exactly is the GPS??
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:22:19 PM by Artemis »

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
Third Twins post re home fixtures before xmas is sobering. Will we pick many points up against those higher placed sides - looks doubtful. So with only one point on the road so far it looks like unrest ahead. The spirit & togetherness in the camp appears dismal. Look at Chapmans & Yeomans recent post match interviews. Yeomans actually looked distressed at the application of others who should be his team mates. We certainly expected more this season but as previously said recruitment is looking average at best & I agree with the big M re defensive tactics & that big gap in midfield that resorts us to the long ball to often.  I'm not even sure about mid table safety now rather wondering if there are 3 worse teams than us that will go down??

Ghostwriter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
I share your concerns and have been disappointed by the lack of progress this season to date.  I do have faith that our chairman will make the right decisions if and when necessary to ensure that relegation is not an issue. 

Saturday's game is now a must win to steady a very rocky ship and also give us a chance of a cup run to bring in additional revenue, both through prize money and additional gate receipts.

Not only do we need to win, but win well.  I have to say that I am not confident, as the opposition will be "up for it" and I am sure that they will have very vocal support, even if small in number!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
AM told us we would get promotion with his team.  He has his team and don't forget we have the best midfielder in the league.

On a match day in our dugout there are about 5 guys.. Manager,  assistant  Manager,  Physio but who are the other two??

When did he say this?

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »
Third Twins post re home fixtures before xmas is sobering. Will we pick many points up against those higher placed sides - looks doubtful. So with only one point on the road so far it looks like unrest ahead. The spirit & togetherness in the camp appears dismal. Look at Chapmans & Yeomans recent post match interviews. Yeomans actually looked distressed at the application of others who should be his team mates. We certainly expected more this season but as previously said recruitment is looking average at best & I agree with the big M re defensive tactics & that big gap in midfield that resorts us to the long ball to often.  I'm not even sure about mid table safety now rather wondering if there are 3 worse teams than us that will go down??

With those tactics I can't see how we'll beat many. Also Gainsborough managed a draw at York last night as the give it a go

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »

When did he say this?

I Believe his words was he would build a team that would that would become title challangers eventually but everyone needs to be patient.   That sounds to me that maybe in the next season or 2 but not this

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
Thers been a black non - productive hole in midfield longer than that in the universe  :blank:

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »

When did he say this?

In an early interview Adam said it "was time the club started achieving " ,  considering the three season proceeding his appointment we had finished in 7th , 3rd and 5th nothing less than the top two places would be an achievement .

In that interview he threatened to move players on and replace them ,   nothings changed  then .   

What is GPS ?  no idea !!!,     but be positive ,  look at our league position ,   if this GPS is any use and combined with the  extra night training its certain without them we would probably be rock bottom of the league .
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:28:40 PM by green hats mate »

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »

When did he say this?

What is GPS ?  no idea !!!,     but be positive ,  look at our league position ,   if this GPS is any use and combined with the  extra night training its certain without them we would probably be rock bottom of the league .
global positioning system. I.e. it records movement, or lack of it in some cases!
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »

When did he say this?

global positioning system. I.e. it records movement, or lack of it in some cases!

Thanks TTT.  maybe explains why one or two players look uncomfortable on the pitch !!!

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »

When did he say this?

It would be interesting if the club shared some of the stats in the programme in terms of distance covered by each of the players. It would either dispel or prove some of the criticism aimed at Chapman.