Author Topic: Affinity to Boston United  (Read 4796 times)

baldfinn

• View Profile
Affinity to Boston United
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »
Had a thought whilst watching the game v NFU . Our players train in the Midlands , maybe live around that area . Spend basically a day a fortnight in this town ( or 3 to 4 hours ) on a match day . Do they feel any affinity towards the club ? Any thoughts ?

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Affinity to Boston United
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:27:02 PM »
Thats a poser ..
   As I said in my Analysys ,will he try u21 U18s on Saturday who probably live closer to Boston ?

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 10:32:39 PM »
Had a thought whilst watching the game v NFU . Our players train in the Midlands , maybe live around that area . Spend basically a day a fortnight in this town ( or 3 to 4 hours ) on a match day . Do they feel any affinity towards the club ? Any thoughts ?
I can see where you're coming from. Personally I don't think you get the Cookies of this world these days. Playing for your home town club used to be a pride thing, which I can't say I've seen at Boston in a while. My view is that players are governed by their pocket, and/or longer contracts. I understand that most players want financial stability (we all do) ie a regular wage, but I do think some are greedy, or they receive poor advice from agents regarding their wage expectations. Sadly, in my view, this means there are fewer players who share an affinity to Boston, if any at all.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

youngchubby69

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:34:06 PM »
A really good point and post by both of you.
It could be the kick up the backside the first team needs

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:45:07 PM »
A really good point and post by both of you.
It could be the kick up the backside the first team needs

In the many (sub hundred) years including the most successful seasons I have supported Boston there has only been a few locals good enough .

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »
It's a fair point, but what I would say is that the lack of 'connection' to the club is the same for all clubs. So while on the one hand, you could say that Boston being out in the middle of nowhere means players have to travel in and feel no connection to the town - which is probably true - but then on the flipside if you're a Manchester-based club then you probably have players who may well live closer to you but who have probably played for loads of clubs in the area and have so many options of where to play they care about you as much as they might care about their local supermarket.

Generally speaking, I'd say it's only really the management team who can engender that sense of loyalty in the modern day player. Look down the road, for example, and you'll find a team playing great football for Danny Cowley, not Lincoln per se. If he were to up sticks and move to another club, you can bet a fair few would drop the Imps in a millisecond to go with him. That's just the way it is. You'll get the odd exception of course, but even Cookie was a bit of a rarity back in the day!

youngchubby69

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
Fair point, even Mickey Nuttell played most of his football and had his most successful spells playing for other clubs, mainly Rushed and Diamonds.
He is Boston through and through.
There's a point why has Mickey never managed as far as I know, he would definitely be full of passion the club and I can't see him letting his players be anything different.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »
you'll find a team playing great football for Danny Cowley

I would argue that Lincoln don't play great football, they play functional football that gave them a fantastic season last year. They utilise a target man, and rely on pace around him. Their centre-backs are very imposing, and their midfielders are workaholics. It all added up to an almost perfect season.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

youngchubby69

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
you'll find a team playing great football for Danny Cowley

I would argue that Lincoln don't play great football, they play functional football that gave them a fantastic season last year. They utilise a target man, and rely on pace around him. Their centre-backs are very imposing, and their midfielders are workaholics. It all added up to an almost perfect season.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, what's wrong with our team, no target man and a lazy midfield.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »
They also benefitted from an increased budget due to the investor from South Africa...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
Interesting interview w Martin Edwards ex Man Utd owner on BBC News ..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:21:25 PM by father Ted »

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »
And a manager who won't carry any passengers at all.