Author Topic: Jay Rollins returns  (Read 10561 times)

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jay Rollins returns
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »
So negative! We all liked him when he played for us last two seasons. He cannot criticise someone having ambition and trying.

We could sign Messi on a free and people would be moaning we paid too much!
if you look at my posts at the end of last season, I didn't think he was deserving of the awards. "We all liked him" isn't the case. Ok, so I'm possibly in the minority, but I don't think he's as good as others do. He's a decent player in a poor side last year for me, but no better than that. I've not changed my opinion of him, and rather than "having ambition and trying" I find his actions "greedy and lacking in respect". My criticism isn't without reasoning, but I fully accept you think differently.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:27:37 PM by The Third Twin »
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
I didn't think he was deserving of the awards.

He was voted for in the main supporters award, the BUSA award, and the players' award. Liked by fans and players.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »

He was voted for in the main supporters award, the BUSA award, and the players' award. Liked by fans and players.
as I said, I accept I may be in the minority. I stand by my opinion, yet I accept many will disagree. At the end of last season, I posted something along the lines of....Jay's played the most games (38) and scored the most (12), so therefore he's been voted for as there's no other suitable candidate, not because he had an exceptional season. I think after Jay, Kalern Thomas(28) Marshall (25), and Lewis (26) that Batch (21) and Smithy(23) played the next most games and Batch joined in Dec, and of course Smithy didn't play after Jan 1st. My point being, very few players can claim to have played the whole season, only Jay, Lewis or Kalern, so therefore the votes went to Jay in the absence of any other genuine candidate. In my opinion, getting the award  more by default, and not achievement.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:23:55 PM by The Third Twin »

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 07:47:13 AM »

as I said, I accept I may be in the minority. I stand by my opinion, yet I accept many will disagree. At the end of last season, I posted something along the lines of....Jay's played the most games (38) and scored the most (12), so therefore he's been voted for as there's no other suitable candidate, not because he had an exceptional season. I think after Jay, Kalern Thomas(28) Marshall (25), and Lewis (26) that Batch (21) and Smithy(23) played the next most games and Batch joined in Dec, and of course Smithy didn't play after Jan 1st. My point being, very few players can claim to have played the whole season, only Jay, Lewis or Kalern, so therefore the votes went to Jay in the absence of any other genuine candidate. In my opinion, getting the award  more by default, and not achievement.

The most prestigious award in most peoples opinion is the players Player of Year award .   Rollins won it fair and  clearly had cross backing from new and old players ,  It was not a award by default , credit to him for turning out sound performances when surrounded by a load of mainly crap team mates clobbered together by his two managers .

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:06:29 AM by green hats mate »

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »

The most prestigious award in most peoples opinion is the players Player of Year award .   Felix won it fair and  clearly had cross backing from new and old players ,  It was not a award by default , credit to him for turning out sound performances when surrounded by a load of mainly crap team mates clobbered together by his two managers .
Has Felix come back too?
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »

The most prestigious award in most peoples opinion is the players Player of Year award .   Felix won it fair and  clearly had cross backing from new and old players ,  It was not a award by default , credit to him for turning out sound performances when surrounded by a load of mainly crap team mates clobbered together by his two managers .
Has Felix come back too?

Not yet!
Thanks for your correction .

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »
I'll be there today, my first game of the season.
I have not seen any games, be they in the league or pre season.
Regarding Jay, when I watched any games last season and I must admit it wasn't that many, he was always bright and full of running. Give the lad a chance, just because he never started the season with us doesn't mean he's not going to put a shift in and score a few goals. He has to prove himself all over again, some players might have said, bugger it, i'll not go back there, i'll just get  shit loads of stick, from the home fans. That says a lot about Boston fans really, boo your own players.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »
I'll be there today, my first game of the season.
I have not seen any games, be they in the league or pre season.
Regarding Jay, when I watched any games last season and I must admit it wasn't that many, he was always bright and full of running. Give the lad a chance, just because he never started the season with us doesn't mean he's not going to put a shift in and score a few goals. He has to prove himself all over again, some players might have said, bugger it, i'll not go back there, i'll just get  shit loads of stick, from the home fans. That says a lot about Boston fans really, boo your own players.
at no point have I said I will be booing him. I was invited to back up my comments, and explained them from my perspective. Please realise there is a difference between having a more negative view and booing. I genuinely hope he plays well and proves me wrong.

John Bunyan, 1684

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
As far as I can remember I never said or hinted that you had!
I stand on the Spain Road side and all I ever hear is 'get him off'  'you're rubbish' I might locate to the 'happy clappers' stand, just to get away from it.  :laugh: :laugh:
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »
I stand on the Spain Road side and all I ever hear is 'get him off'  'you're rubbish' I might locate to the 'happy clappers' stand, just to get away from it.  :laugh: :laugh:
it's no better in the main stand! Especially near the dugout! It's only a matter of time before a chap who sits behind me demands Chapman to be subbed whilst they're still warming up!

John Bunyan, 1684

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »
Does it not occur to people that shouting stuff like that at a player will in all likelihood make them play worse? Every touch and every decision they'll second guess. We are there to push he players on, not hold them back. It's a self fulfilling prophecy - make mistake, get shouted with no end of abuse, play worse, get shouted at more.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »
Does it not occur to people that shouting stuff like that at a player will in all likelihood make them play worse? Every touch and every decision they'll second guess. We are there to push he players on, not hold them back. It's a self fulfilling prophecy - make mistake, get shouted with no end of abuse, play worse, get shouted at more.
I agree 100%, a player with his head down needs a proverbial hug and words of encouragement. Shame our skipper doesn't encourage more, he does as you describe above unfortunately, and yes, it can only serve to deactivate and/or anger his team mate. His example is not a good one.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
I agree 100%, a player with his head down needs a proverbial hug and words of encouragement. Shame our skipper doesn't encourage more, he does as you describe above unfortunately, and yes, it can only serve to deactivate and/or anger his team mate. His example is not a good one.

Fully agree , manager lacks or withholds ability to lift players ,  sadly the only one  who is capable of lifting the team has blotted his copybook .       The moaners will never change .

Mick lawson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »
it's no better in the main stand! Especially near the dugout! It's only a matter of time before a chap who sits behind me demands Chapman to be subbed whilst they're still warming up!
what dugout are you talking about home or away ?

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
what dugout are you talking about home or away ?
the bloke concerned would know who he is from my comments, enough said.

John Bunyan, 1684