Author Topic: Spennymoor  (Read 20408 times)

Franketh

• View Profile
Re: Spennymoor
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »
New to the forum after feeling a need to post after last night, just a few points:

1. I concur with the views on Chapman, I don't know what he does.  No mobility to get around the pitch, no composure, the game just by passes him, i honestly forget he is playing until he makes a mistake.

2. The midfield lacks any technical footballers with quality, yes vince is a young prospect but still learning! Need someone you can control the game in there! Chapman and Keane just get rid over the top looking for Kabo every time!

3. I don't understand for the life of me why AM didn't notice that out system couldn't cope with their wingers, it was obvious after 20 minutes. Just surprised it took 50 minutes to change to three at the back.

4. Positives - the front three look really good but the service into them is shocking. Jennings looked so much better in the number 10 role not having to worry about tracking wingers back giving him freedom to express himself

Saying all this, the attitude of the some of the people around me in the crowd is appalling! Moaning and shouting when the ball happens to go backwards when the game is crying out for some possession! Then moaning when the ball is lumped up! Berating young players when they try things and they don't come off! These players will not try to express themselves whilst elements of the crowd foam with anger when something doesn't come off!

Although I have aired my unhappiness here, it really  doesn't help shouting venom at these players.  Football is a process, we have to be realistic we are currently not good enough and lacking quality but this improves with confidence, something that this team appear short of.  Players don't improve through fear but encouragement!

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »
"Saying all this, the attitude of the some of the people around me in the crowd is appalling! Moaning and shouting when the ball happens to go backwards when the game is crying out for some possession! Then moaning when the ball is lumped up! Berating young players when they try things and they don't come off! These players will not try to express themselves whilst elements of the crowd foam with anger when something doesn't come off!

Although I have aired my unhappiness here, it really  doesn't help shouting venom at these players.  Football is a process, we have to be realistic we are currently not good enough and lacking quality but this improves with confidence, something that this team appear short of.  Players don't improve through fear but encouragement"

been said so many times....i guess the people who do the mouthing cant read?...just a theory.....................
i was going to go last night but after a long drive i didn't, i came straight home. so lucky enough not to have to witness it and £11 up :)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
I went last night, and like everyone on this forum was very disappointed with the result and the way we lost.

I do agree Spennymoor were by far the better side and let's not take anything away from them.

But why when we have one of the best playing surfaces in the league we resort to hoof ball?

We played right into their hands, they were a big powerful northern team.

Concerning the moaning, it is ONE person who stands on the half way line, Spayne road side.

He has been doing it for years.  Every year he singles out a player and no matter how well they play they get it in the ear.

I remember he used to pick on Tom Bennet ( in my opinion one of the best midfielders to put on a Boston shirt )

Last night he picked on two players, NUMBER THREE ( he did not know his name ) and Chapman.  In the end they were afraid to touch the ball.

This man has a very loud voice and I am sure the players can hear him.  Mind you I did agree with him when he kept shouting " play it on the ground "  I would think the ball had a coating of ice on it, with it being so high for so often.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »
Just watched AM's post match. We had:

'Young team'
'Opposition been together longer than us'

Etc etc etc.......

It's getting boring now. You could wind the clock back to Feb/ March and look at any of his post match from that era. It's just the same stuff all over again

He has dismantled the side of last season and increased the wage bill. Plus paid for money for players. Are we any better? A little bit maybe, but not much in my view

I've said it before and will do so again. His obsession with Chapman is killing us and will cost him his job. He's not mobile enough and I believe a disruptive influence on the pitch

That said, the stuff about a new group, other sides being together longer wears very thin. Many sides at this level have a massive turnover of players every season.. I will give you Salford Alfreton Southport Harrogate and Brackley as examples. All have changed personnel massively over the summer. But they've IMPROVED QUICKLY - so this isn't an excuse in my book any more

It's your team Adam- no one else's!

Discuss

I suggested early days Adam had not done his  homework on BUFC and  the NC league .

" Young team "   In the two seasons in which we made the play-offs many matches we included 4/5 teenagers and a team with a average age of 21 .    Well under the average age of Adams squad .

Increased wage bill ,   increased training , new training technology ,  paid fee's for players , signed a midfielder claimed to be the best  in the NC . Add to this we now have a full time manager,  plus a better pitch to play on . Plus a midlands training base to improve chances of signing better plays .

What we should be discussing is how much better this team is than the Greene play off teams , yet here we are debating if the team is up to the standard of last years dross .    Satisfaction with a mid-table finish expressed by some .     I thought the concept of bringing in a new manager was to improve the team . 

Like T&C I fear disruption in the team ,  The Mansfield  Five in one corner versus the rest .

With games against 2 basement teams coming up let's hope AM makes some important changes to the set up and win 6 points,  and get the fans on side .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 09:01:57 PM »
I will reiterate that this team needs support, none of them are perfect, I don't think Chapman is that great either but I'll back him when he's in the team, people criticising taking off Vince today fair enough that's your view but we needed height in the middle of the pitch. When he made the two subs we looked better. End of. Only conceded two more because we tried to equalise.

It may be that in the last 20 games he's picked up 21 points but 5 of them games are from this season with effectively a new team. Not sure how many players Spennymoor retained from last season but judging by their performance tonight I doubt that was a team made up of pretty much entirely new players? 15 games of your 'stat' were from last where he had the leftovers, just give the bloke some time and give him a chance, I get the feeling people expectations are far too bloody high. This team isn't a team of world beaters destined to win the league straight away, Murray's said as much. I'm just gonna be patient and positive. None of this doom and gloom b*ll*cks.

I'll be there Saturday to support the team, come on Boston!

To put last years dross into prospective , as stated AM took over when we had 21 points from 20 games .   AM rightly stated things had to change and said he had half the season to get ready and build for this season .
In his first 4 games we gained 8 valuable  points playing with dross left by DG .   The 18 remaining games of the season we won 18 points with his own signings  almost the same as Greene's return .   So Adams most profitable spell with the club was his first 4 matches when he took over and had to use Greene's dross.   This indicates he has made no improvement to the team with his signings .
What it also asks is how would we have done in those last 18 matches if he had not inherited Rollins and Hilliard whose goals and ASSISTS were the main contribution to those 18 points . 

If you check Adams early comments you will find it was him who suggested we could win the league this season .

I hope you continue to support the Pilgrims as long as I have done .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »

To put last years dross into prospective , as stated AM took over when we had 21 points from 20 games .   AM rightly stated things had to change and said he had half the season to get ready and build for this season .
In his first 4 games we gained 8 valuable  points playing with dross left by DG .   The 18 remaining games of the season we won 18 points with his own signings  almost the same as Greene's return .   So Adams most profitable spell with the club was his first 4 matches when he took over and had to use Greene's dross.   This indicates he has made no improvement to the team with his signings .
What it also asks is how would we have done in those last 18 matches if he had not inherited Rollins and Hilliard whose goals and ASSISTS were the main contribution to those 18 points . 

If you check Adams early comments you will find it was him who suggested we could win the league this season .

I hope you continue to support the Pilgrims as long as I have done .

great points GHM

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »
Well articulated GHM.

So often fans crave managerial change but not many do the analysis to see what the results are. It was quite sad when DG was publicly humiliated in front of main stand last season by a long standing supporter - because DG hadn't sufficiently improved the team from the season before. I don't see many players in the current set up that are as good as Mills, Garner, Piergianni, Steer, Rollins, Hilliard, Miller, Southwell et al.

DG unfortunately lost a lot of the best players at the start of last season. The replacements weren't good enough. It's like deja vu again for me this season. More disappointing recruitment. After all the talk I never thought we'd have already lost at least three games by the end of August.

TEP
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:32:13 AM by Tipps End Pilgrim »

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 11:35:24 PM »
Just having a look back at the start of last season, does anybody seriously think that this squad is worse than the squad that started last season?

The team that started the season losing 1-0 at home to Stalybridge - Dibble, Price, Maguire, Ngoma, Thomas, Marshall, Chippendale, Hilliard, St Juste, Colley, Rollins: (Roberts, Fairhurst and Adams as subs). I would only have two or three of those players is this seasons squad. Again this team needs support, I'm still looking at who I think's good enough and who probably isn't, but I'm not gonna go screaming at them during the game like some do behind me on Spayne Road, why? Because it isn't supporting the team, it brings lower confidence, it brings fear, it brings less expressive football. At the end of the day I'll still be supporting this team positively.

Coming back to these stats, I'm gonna wait until we've played more this season before concluding if this team statistically is worse, and if we are I'll concede that point. My comment about last seasons dross was mainly associated to that team that started last season, which for me has a lot less talent than the one we have that's started this season, I'd personally only have Ngoma and Roberts (fitness permitting for both of them because Ngoma looked solid in midfield) and Rollins, but he's decided he doesn't want to play football this season by the looks of it.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 07:57:01 AM »
Just having a look back at the start of last season, does anybody seriously think that this squad is worse than the squad that started last season?

The team that started the season losing 1-0 at home to Stalybridge - Dibble, Price, Maguire, Ngoma, Thomas, Marshall, Chippendale, Hilliard, St Juste, Colley, Rollins: (Roberts, Fairhurst and Adams as subs). I would only have two or three of those players is this seasons squad. Again this team needs support, I'm still looking at who I think's good enough and who probably isn't, but I'm not gonna go screaming at them during the game like some do behind me on Spayne Road, why? Because it isn't supporting the team, it brings lower confidence, it brings fear, it brings less expressive football. At the end of the day I'll still be supporting this team positively.

Coming back to these stats, I'm gonna wait until we've played more this season before concluding if this team statistically is worse, and if we are I'll concede that point. My comment about last seasons dross was mainly associated to that team that started last season, which for me has a lot less talent than the one we have that's started this season, I'd personally only have Ngoma and Roberts (fitness permitting for both of them because Ngoma looked solid in midfield) and Rollins, but he's decided he doesn't want to play football this season by the looks of it.

Hard to disagree with anything here.

My thoughts, based on what I've seen so far, is that this is a team that's got more talent than last season's and has the potential to be very good indeed with a bit more work and the time and space to develop. Screaming "this is no better than last season" helps no-one.

The simple fact is that we are in a league full of very rich teams. We cannot just stockpile talent, and when you don't have lots of competition for every position or the ability to simply go out and upgrade an underperforming player, your options are limited. AM and the team have in place a system that *could* deliver us a promotion-worthy team, but it probably won't be this season.

And yeah, I get that we've been an "there's always next year" club for far too long, and that's unbelievably frustrating, but newsflash: we're not in the Conference South. We're in the strongest Conference North EVER.

So we can either support AM on his journey to win 'another way', or moan that he's crap, his players are rubbish, and that he's really dull in interviews and start from scratch with someone else.

What's it going to be?

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »

My thoughts, based on what I've seen so far, is that this is a team that's got more talent than last season's and has the potential to be very good indeed with a bit more work and the time and space to develop. Screaming "this is no better than last season" helps no-one.

The simple fact is that we are in a league full of very rich teams. We cannot just stockpile talent, and when you don't have lots of competition for every position or the ability to simply go out and upgrade an underperforming player, your options are limited. AM and the team have in place a system that *could* deliver us a promotion-worthy team, but it probably won't be this season.

And yeah, I get that we've been an "there's always next year" club for far too long, and that's unbelievably frustrating, but newsflash: we're not in the Conference South. We're in the strongest Conference North EVER.

So we can either support AM on his journey to win 'another way', or moan that he's crap, his players are rubbish, and that he's really dull in interviews and start from scratch with someone else.

What's it going to be?

I for one say support.  Anything less is not constructive.
United we stand..................

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
I would hasten to add, it's healthy to be critical too. Everyone can see the flaws in this team, and there's no point trying to avoid not talking about them - that's all fine. Healthy debate etc.

But to my mind declaring the season a write-off five games in is a bit like saying the new Spurs stadium is crap 'cos they've only built two stands and there's no roof. Just give the squad space to develop - Den didn't get his team right straight away either.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »

My thoughts, based on what I've seen so far, is that this is a team that's got more talent than last season's and has the potential to be very good indeed with a bit more work and the time and space to develop. Screaming "this is no better than last season" helps no-one.The simple fact is that we are in a league full of very rich teams. We cannot just stockpile talent, and when you don't have lots of competition for every position or the ability to simply go out and upgrade an underperforming player, your options are limited. AM and

the team have in place a system that *could* deliver us a promotion-worthy team, but it probably won't be this season.

What's it going to be?
[/quote

Not sure people on here are writing the team off for the whole season Pete ,  I made a prediction on Patter weeks ago that we would finish 5th this season based on our improved training set-up etc and allowing for the big spenders in the league . Like you we have to accept no promotion .

No problem with dull interviews ,  what matters is how he comes over to the players in the dressing room .
Managing at p/t level presents different  problems to f/t level and we have to hope he soon learns the ropes .
From some of his comments fans have had their hopes raised above reason . 

Sad to say we have learned over the last few seasons that good results is no deterrent to shouting  abuse to managers .
We have also seen  that "building a team for next season does not work "   as Kiddy last season and Boston the season before found out .

As I stated earlier 2 basement teams coming next matches ,  6 points a realistic target win those and everything will be fine .

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2017, 01:25:29 PM »
The things I would like to see AM try is: 1) Try Karl Hawley in the centre mid-field role, he can hold the ball up and is a good passer of the ball.  2)  Keep our wingers out wide, not indicate to them to come in-field for goal kicks. 3) Tell Chapman to keep his mouth closed, and stop moaning at/haranguing the referee, but get on to his players more, he's supposed to lead by example.  Done.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2017, 02:05:07 PM »
Sounds good E100 ,esp re Hawley.. :angel:

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »
're telling Chapman to keep his mouth shut....would that be while he is sat next to you in the dug out??
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:30:47 PM by howmanynames2pick »