Author Topic: Season up and running  (Read 9803 times)

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Season up and running
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:39:23 PM »
Great bounce back by the team tonight. Couldn't be there but tuned into Endeavour and it sounded like a good team performance. What's the fans views of tonight ?

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Season up and running
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:03 PM »
It was a gritty performance by BUFC tonight,and in the end we gave as much as we got from a very  determined Alfreton team...Greg Smith was at the heart of everything and finished the game with one great dive-headed goal from a second half corner,a booking and left the field twice due to injuries...I have to say however that our defence worries me,Alfreton were almost gifted 2 second half goal in addition to their equalising goal which we "gifted " them...The performances of Waite,Beatson and Keane were definitely positives and Elliott {the Alfreton keeper}made a superb save just before halftime to deny Beatson....Onwards and upwards!

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:44:45 AM »
Great win tonight. Lads worked hard and dug in.
First 25 mins lacked quality from both sides.
Once we started to use Hemmings and waite a bit more things started to open up. Smith worked his socks off as usual and I thought Chapman did well, he did the simple stuff and did it well.
Three centre backs perhaps need to communicate a bit better but they won the majority of headers. Thought Warren was a pest all night for their defenders and was everywhere, great engine on him.
Much needed win that!
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

youngchubby69

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:16:19 AM »
Good result, Warren is a true bit of class, that lad has a massive future ahead of him, he impressed me when he played against Boston town pre season.
Going to miss Greg for the next few games though.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:53:35 AM »
Plenty of positives then, that's good. Am sure the defence will become more solid over time, sounded like Batch had a good game going on the radio commentary. Now onto an in form Spennymoor who no doubt will pose a tough threat. Three points in that will have us in a respectable position in the table.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
Two average sides - both looking like they need to get to know their respective team mates. Important not to lose though.

Whilst Smith gives us something, I fear he may become a bit of a liability. He loses his head so often. Booked again last night (a bit harsh for the actual offence admittedly) but he doesn't help himself. If he's going to be effective then he needs to be a bit smarter rather than going at it like a bull in a china shop. We don't need a striker that's going to be sat on the sidelines all season. And he needs to get slimmed down. Hopefully in the next three games we can learn to play without him. I don't want to have to rely on him all season. I see him playing a part but we need something else up front.

TEP

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
We don't need him on the pitch. According to the National League's results page he was sent off at 55 minutes and scored at 77!

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »
After seeing both games and being shocked by our lack of performance on Saturday last night was more like the team that I expected to see.
We were hard working all over the pitch making tackles and blocks even deep into the second half.
Beatson who I thought had a poor game at the weekend was outstanding winning every header and defensively good all night.
Hemmings has a great touch and is a threat, Chapman played some great long passes and looked more comfortable with Keane playing alongside him.
We could have won by more with the Alfreton keeper making a full length wonder save just before half time.
So a lot of plusses as our season gets up and running.
I do have to agree with TEP about Smith you cannot question his workrate and desire along with ability to head the ball but we will need another quality striker if we are to challenge at the top end of the table.
Well done to all last night.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
Two average sides - both looking like they need to get to know their respective team mates. Important not to lose though.

Whilst Smith gives us something, I fear he may become a bit of a liability. He loses his head so often. Booked again last night (a bit harsh for the actual offence admittedly) but he doesn't help himself. If he's going to be effective then he needs to be a bit smarter rather than going at it like a bull in a china shop. We don't need a striker that's going to be sat on the sidelines all season. And he needs to get slimmed down. Hopefully in the next three games we can learn to play without him. I don't want to have to rely on him all season. I see him playing a part but we need something else up front.

TEP

Good assessment ,  would be good to see a bit more discipline from Gregg .  One of his biggest assets is his ability to lift the team , I think its a big test for the team the next 3 matches without him .  Above all he is a crowd pleaser and a goal scorer and sadly we will miss him unless one of our other strikers starts finding the net .

His goal last night reminded me of a game when we were in the football league ,  some one on the Spayne Terrace shouted to the opposition striker  "you big fat useless b****** Parkin "  and minutes latter Jon Parkin floated to brilliantly head in a similar goal to Greggs . 

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
I'd like to see Waite play through the middle on Saturday, with Hemmings and Tshimanga either side.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

youngchubby69

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »
Is the club doing the highlights this season, as we haven't had any all pre season.
I know we had them for John Blackwell testimonial last season.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
Is the club doing the highlights this season, as we haven't had any all pre season.

There are highlights on the National League website. I'm not sure for certain, but I get the impression they've essentially been centralised with the league, which means that clubs won't be doing them on their own websites. Could be wrong, but that's how it seems to be working so far.

Thenund

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »

There are highlights on the National League website. I'm not sure for certain, but I get the impression they've essentially been centralised with the league, which means that clubs won't be doing them on their own websites. Could be wrong, but that's how it seems to be working so far.

They're on the Boston site now - so I guess it's more that the National League site gets them first.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »
League forces clubs to film the full game and send them to scout7 tool by 11pm that night, unless it is a night game of course.
Clubs are not allowed to put their highlights up until a certain time but before that the league will put their version of highlights up on the league website.

Kicking off a bit as volunteers who film games get no credit or payments for doing this and the clubs are hit because they'll lose traffic from people who can see it on another site earlier. Sponsors and all that.