Author Topic: Couldnt have been a worse afternoon  (Read 9908 times)

Batistuta

• View Profile
Re: Couldnt have been a worse afternoon
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 10:49:19 PM »
Never got going, just made too many mistakes, plenty more matches to come so hopefully put the mistakes right on Tuesday and Saturday. Not getting carried away with it being effectively a whole new team and not gonna be doom and gloom either slagging players or coaches off! On to the next game!

colindavy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 08:05:57 AM »
We looked OK for the first ten minutes when both teams were nervous, but once those first two gormless goals went in, Southport gained a lot of confidence. They probably think this league is rubbish now, and I can't blame them.

It all depends how we respond. Only bright spot ... it didn't rain

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
me an me granddad wotch boston town he enjoyed it that much he sed rite boy fish an chips to nite my trete  then sum one told him boston unteds score and e sed rite boy I will by u chips if u wont fish upay for it

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
Desperately trying to find something positive about yesterday, it was good to see John McKenna, surely one of our best goalkeepers of all time? John played for both Boston and Southport during his career but stood in the away end and was clearly supporting Boston. I had a couple of conversations with him during the game - as an ex keeper he said he doesn't normally like standing behind the goal as he still feels tempted to bark out instructions at defenders (he would probably have lost his voice yesterday). He remembers his time at Boston well and is still in touch with Martin Hardy and Paul Cavell. He had also maintained contact with Paul Shirtliff prior to Paul's death. I didn't catch what line of work John is now in, but he does travel around and is working in Lincoln for a few weeks later in the year - said he hoped to get to a game at York Street if the dates fall right.

Not much else positive I can say about yesterday really - poor performance, heavy defeat, red card, bad injury, undercooked chips, long journey home to find a dead goldfish in the pond. One of those days. Move on to Tuesday.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 03:25:42 PM »
And here's the usual photo gallery for those that don't do Facebook.

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/southport050817.html

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »
Just had a browse through the club history pages on my web site and it would appear that yesterday's result is the biggest opening day league defeat ever in the history of Boston United. Worst up until then was a 4-1 defeat by Peterborough United in the Midland League in 1950.

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/seas50.html

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »
We did win the next three matches in 1950, scoring ten in one of them.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
I feel this season we are going to struggle away from home, when we concede the first goal. We have no potency to give the confidence of turning a game around.

Beatson had a shocker, Hare looked off the pace, Chapman was poor, McGuire kept going but seemed to be doing it alone. Vince battled but was isolated in between midfield and attack - bright spark was Hemmings who had 2 or 3 good runs, and would have scored but for a great save. Hawley did his best, but he's not a striker to play up front alone. After Gregg came on, we seemed to inject urgency in our play, got into a couple of decent positions but his sending off was when we threw the towel in. Fantastic 4th goal, but the first 3 were avoidable.

If we manage to get 6 points from the next 2 games at home, we can forget about yesterday. Must do better!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »
Agree with every bit of that pilgrim86.