Author Topic: v Stamford  (Read 4779 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
v Stamford
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:21:43 AM »
Didn't learn too much other than I can't see any obvious goal scoring threat from us.

TEP

youngchubby69

Re: v Stamford
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »
In fairness we didn't play our attacking front three together all game, kabonga,Hemmings,Waite,Hawley, so we can't really say yet, if we have goals in US,
Liam Adams was excellent and Smithy put in a good shift considering this is his second start in six months.
First half was disjointed with a completely different team that hasn't played together as a unit until last night.
Second half was much better and it is pleasing to see how players come on as subs and just slot straight in and influence the game, Vino second half was superb and Batch got into his stride and won most of everything.
Stamford were worthy opponents and gave us a fierce work out with plenty of guile and passion.
Nice to see Graham Drury, he always makes you feel welcome, no he didn't do well at Boston but a lovely chap all the same, that respects the opposition fans, he probably has good reason to not like us Pilgrims, but he doesn't show it.
Good on him I say.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:34 AM »
Just on Batchelor - he is good when the balls are in the air coming towards him - it's when people run at him or get in behind that he struggles. Notice how Stamford did this in the first half - Batchelor wasn't quick enough to react and brought their player down on the edge of the box - they score from the resulting free kick.

As for Drury being a lovely chap, maybe his recent convictions were just a one-off ....

TEP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »
Batch is just a bit slow isn't he? Great presence at set-pieces and all that, but a ball over the top or a tricky winger running at him and, as you say, he's in trouble. No great shock - it's a common trade-off with blokes of his size of course, I just don't think we had the right players alongside him last year to bail him out in those situations, and it left him quite exposed (unfairly in my opinion). I haven't seen us this season so can't comment if the new guys are any better.

youngchubby69

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »
The new guys in defence are much better, than last season.
They can really play, and are quick to react under pressure, they also get down the wings and cause overlaps.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
I would argue they haven't faced any pressure, and won't do until the league season starts.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »
I would argue they haven't faced any pressure, and won't do until the league season starts.

Last season we had Batchelor and Yeomans so are you saying that the new guys are better than these ? I'm happy if the new guys can really play and overlap down the wings but first of all I would want them to be really good defenders - ones that have good positional discipline and who don't let the opposition have a sniff.

TEP

youngchubby69

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »
I am only saying that in my opinion they look much more switched on, I would think these guys also know what pressure is, as they have been at other clubs before,some struggling one's as well.
Batch and Yeomans are still developing as players and I wager that they will be much improved by the end of the season with better players around them .
If they don't, then they are not going to be around long.
That's football and we need players who can push us on and get promoted.

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »
The new keeper and the defence are a huge improvement on last season but from what I have seen so far we are going to find goals hard to come by.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »
Liam Adams looks like he's stepping up from youth team level to challenging for a first team place. He was very impressive on Tuesday eve. Among his attributes is a keen eye for goal. Along with Vinno, credit to Bunny for their development.
Another youngster to watch is Hadyn Havard. A 17 year old left winger/midfielder that AM brought in from Mansfield's academy. He played the second half at Stamford & he's got plenty of ability.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »
 Just a couple of Pulis battering rams to complete then ..