Author Topic: Analysis  (Read 19227 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Analysis
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
At the moment supporting BUFC is a labour of love, its not pleasurable but its a habit.

Well I can't fault you there, but I do agree with you, that the current team does marginally have more quality than last season.
But God it needs some work, and a striker.

Not sure about the quality bit chubby ,  but you are 100% correct about a striker .
Newsham , Miller and Southwell played in teams that had a few weak links but a 25 goals a season striker more than compensates at our level .       There's Adams key to success ,  produce a striker of that calibre .

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »
Its the reason to Greene's durability, the ability to find that 25 goal a season man. Fair play to him, although Newsh was here already.

Last season showed how much we relied on that crucial denominator and also exposed Greene as being bang average without that key man.

I still believe if we'd offered Garner anything like decent terms and kept him we'd not have struggled half as much as we did, he was pivotal to Halifax's success last season.

But its history now....whats gone is gone.

youngchubby69

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »
Is it really that hard hard to find a decent striker, other clubs do it,and in lower leagues.
Perhaps the problem is that Adam doesn't let a partnership develop before he changes it again, surely it's time to try Waite and Kaba up front from the off, with Jay and Ash on the wing's, to give us width.
Manager's of today seem scared to play 4-4-2 anymore, we have to play continental formations.
Then if all fails bring on Greg and use his height to feed the strikes, but they need to play closer to him.

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »
Is it really that hard hard to find a decent striker, other clubs do it,and in lower leagues.
Perhaps the problem is that Adam doesn't let a partnership develop before he changes it again, surely it's time to try Waite and Kaba up front from the off, with Jay and Ash on the wing's, to give us width.
Manager's of today seem scared to play 4-4-2 anymore, we have to play continental formations.
Then if all fails bring on Greg and use his height to feed the strikes, but they need to play closer to him.

And swap Chapman with Hawley- his distribution is far better than Chapman.  But will Murray admit that Chapman isn't the best midfielder in the league?

youngchubby69

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2017, 04:26:44 PM »
Yes I can see the logic in that ,but Hawley would probably tire after 60minutes, me I would try Clifton in their alongside Vince or Thomas.
Leave Chapman out at the start, replace Clifton with Beatson,Hare or Chapman.
Clifton for me is a good player and he his quick minded, and is not scared to shoot when he gets forward.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 04:46:56 PM »
Its the reason to Greene's durability, the ability to find that 25 goal a season man. Fair play to him, although Newsh was here already.

Last season showed how much we relied on that crucial denominator and also exposed Greene as being bang average without that key man.

I still believe if we'd offered Garner anything like decent terms and kept him we'd not have struggled half as much as we did, he was pivotal to Halifax's success last season.

But its history now....whats gone is gone.

Many managers over the years at many levels of football have been exposed when losing a 25 goals a season striker and you are right Andy one such victim was Greene .  Another asset he had was access to quality loans i.e Sunderland .

When Greene came Newsham was over the hill probably due to injuries and did not make a big contribution .  Greene spotted what other managers missed .     Signed Miller who had previously been deemed not good enough for the Unibond by S&H.    Southwell had a months loan at Harrogate and only scored one goal a pen against Boston .   Did Simon Weaver spot his potential ? no . Did any other NC manager spot his potential apart from Greene ? no .
There's the benchmark for spotting strikers ,  go for it Adam .

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 05:04:41 PM »
Greene didnt spot Southwell. He was advised to him by Rob Scott who contacted Greene when Grimsby let him go as Rob felt he had more to offer otherwise he would have slipped the net

youngchubby69

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 05:10:38 PM »
We have always had decent strikers at this club up until last season, so what's gone wrong,is it purely down to money or bad scouting,I don't know what it is.
Is our budget not big enough or are we spending to much on other players and coaches.
If you include Hawley we have 3 in the dug out, and 4 on Saturday with Bunny being there.
Didn't we have 2 before under previous management.
If I had to let people go at the moment to free up funds for a decent striker, the following would be released, the coach that no one knows, Maguire as we never use him, Hare doesn't seem to fit in anywhere, and the most controversial choice is Smithy, he is not fit and his disciplinary record is awful he nearly got his marching orders again on Saturday, and if that tackle he went for in front of me had connected, it would have been bye bye again.
I like Greg very much but the lad is struggling and needs a period away on loan somewhere to get him fit and focused.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »
Greene didnt spot Southwell. He was advised to him by Rob Scott who contacted Greene when Grimsby let him go as Rob felt he had more to offer otherwise he would have slipped the net

Good for Scotty ,  Well done to Greene for taking up the offer and seeing Southwell through to league football .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »
We have always had decent strikers at this club up until last season, so what's gone wrong,is it purely down to money or bad scouting,I don't know what it is.
Is our budget not big enough or are we spending to much on other players and coaches.
If you include Hawley we have 3 in the dug out, and 4 on Saturday with Bunny being there.
Didn't we have 2 before under previous management.
If I had to let people go at the moment to free up funds for a decent striker, the following would be released, the coach that no one knows, Maguire as we never use him, Hare doesn't seem to fit in anywhere, and the most controversial choice is Smithy, he is not fit and his disciplinary record is awful he nearly got his marching orders again on Saturday, and if that tackle he went for in front of me had connected, it would have been bye bye again.
I like Greg very much but the lad is struggling and needs a period away on loan somewhere to get him fit and focused.

With me sitting in the main stand it is always interesting to hear the observations of Spayne Terrace spectators chubby ,  Fully agree with your comments but I suggest that maybe it will not adhered to fully .  I believe AM will release a couple of players and use the money to extend the home dugout  :)

As for strikers I stand to be corrected but by my calculations of those signed by Adam have in the 34 games  since his arrival have scored a grand total of 9 goals between them .

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
DG's win percentage was 45% during his entire 173 match tenure. AM's (after 34 games) is 29.4%. Both managers inherited 'poor performing' squads and had to manage them through to the end of the respective seasons. Starting the following seasons afresh, after the first 12 games, DG had a win percentage of 58%. AM's equivalent is 25%. 

This is the fairest comparison I can see between the two managers. If we continue as we are then we will be very fortunate to avoid relegation. Lowestoft were relegated with 46 points in 2016.

TEP

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
Yes it's a fair comparison TEP & it's alarming! AM has to change it tactically & shuffle the pack he keeps saying these are good players but at present they don't look it. We need energy, creativity & mobility in midfield & the ball passed about on the deck. Haughmond will be right up for it tomorrow night & we need to be too. Surely AM has to ring the changes play  hawley attacking midfield, Waite centre forward & jack Thomas holdin m/f, give chapman a rest. A set of tough fixtures awaits something better change.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »
Yes it's a fair comparison TEP & it's alarming! AM has to change it tactically & shuffle the pack he keeps saying these are good players but at present they don't look it. We need energy, creativity & mobility in midfield & the ball passed about on the deck. Haughmond will be right up for it tomorrow night & we need to be too. Surely AM has to ring the changes play  hawley attacking midfield, Waite centre forward & jack Thomas holdin m/f, give chapman a rest. A set of tough fixtures awaits something better change.
i agree with all your points and suggestions. Sadly I think AM is so blinkered in his own methods, nothing will change, especially the results.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
i agree with all your points and suggestions. Sadly I think AM is so blinkered in his own methods, nothing will change, especially the results.

After 34 games fair to say vast majority of fans agree with the comments on AM inflexibility ,  seems he is still blind to the fact it will not work .   If the message does not sink in before 6.45 tonight I think our cup run and Adams managerial career is doomed .

Sorry to Champs for being picky ....but hasn't Chapman been resting all season ? :D

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »
Not picky GHM a fair assessment of what he's produced so far this season. I should have said give us a rest. its strange how a midfielder with 112 recent apps in league 2 can have such minimal impact for us? I spoke to stags fans at alfreton last season who said he was a "skilful playmaker", he could pick a pass & had vision. Sadly all we've seen of him is someone who sits in front of the back 7 and directs traffic. I mean if he has got these attributes why have we not seen them is it due to the defensive role the manager has given him?